Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 Oct 2011 (Monday) 08:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommendations for a wide angle lens (esp. zoom lens) with wide aperture?

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 12, 2011 19:53 |  #16

One big blur at 1/15 or 1/8th.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
xhack
Goldmember
1,283 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 13, 2011 01:53 |  #17

Yep, that's the risk, and would account for the high proportion of u/s shots. Sometimes, tho', you can get lucky . Without flash, it's about as difficult an environment as you could imagine - huge dynamic range with an intensely bright light system and deep shadow very often in the same shot

~ Wallace
Gear List

jacoblopez
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 13, 2011 02:26 |  #18

hello everyone im new to this and just had a couple questions....
1st off i film night clubs with a canon t2i and i use my 50 1.8
but i wanted to buy a new lens thats good in low light so about 1.4
and a lens that could get a full body view up close
EXAMPLE a person dancing

jarski
94 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 13, 2011 02:28 |  #19

think 5D2 should have usable ISO above 1600 that OP used ?

as someone commented, stepping little back (if possible) might already fix the angle issue.

am also considering this lens, though would not use it in dark rock concerts. lighting must be nightmare :p

jacoblopez
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 13, 2011 02:33 |  #20

it is man !!!!
i was thinking the 35 1.4
and i keep my ISO below 1600 because it looks all grainy

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 13, 2011 03:53 |  #21

jacoblopez wrote in post #13244156 (external link)
hello everyone im new to this and just had a couple questions....
1st off i film night clubs with a canon t2i and i use my 50 1.8
but i wanted to buy a new lens thats good in low light so about 1.4
and a lens that could get a full body view up close
EXAMPLE a person dancing

have used the 1.4 on a crop (didnt have FF then) running back & forward by orchestra pit during dress rehearsal of a show. Worked fine.

Gear List

Azzure_7
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 13, 2011 04:03 as a reply to  @ hania's post |  #22

Take a look at Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4
It's affordable and I think it's decent.
I'm on the market for it to use it to shoot some landscape.

flickr (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 13, 2011 06:35 |  #23

xhack wrote in post #13244094 (external link)
Yep, that's the risk, and would account for the high proportion of u/s shots. Sometimes, tho', you can get lucky . Without flash, it's about as difficult an environment as you could imagine - huge dynamic range with an intensely bright light system and deep shadow very often in the same shot

It is doable. When you need to get shots, getting lucky should be the last thing you are counting on. Sacrifice ISO for shutter speed.

This is bad a venue as there is in terms of the lighting. All the lighting was behind the stage (performers)

IMAGE: http://www.bwkphotography.com/Events/Montreal-Nuits-dAfrique-2011/Les-Espoirs-de-Coronthie/i-2zH7bR8/0/L/5DIIIMG2011-07-20-211900-0466-L.jpg

All the shots can be viewed here. I think the 24L was used for all of them.

http://www.bwkphotogra​phy.com …Coronthie/18154​417_fpdQrL (external link)

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

lanimilbus
THREAD ­ STARTER
70 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 15, 2011 16:14 |  #24

amfoto1 wrote in post #13238335 (external link)
The Sigma 12-24 you have is the widest non-fisheye lens made by anyone for full frame cameras. You simply won't find anything wider, anywhere, without going to a fisheye ( a 15mm f2.8 fisheye on 5DII will give 180 degree rectilinear angle of view... any wider and you'd be in the shot yourself).

I've been avoiding fisheye but I could reconsider. What are the best options for a fisheye lens with the 5D Mark II? Both Canon and Sigma's 15mm f/2.8 fisheye lenses are well-reviewed (Canon seems to be around $800, Sigma around $600), what might some other good candidates be (esp. with zoom)?

amfoto1 wrote in post #13238335 (external link)
Have you ever considered another approach... dial up your ISO to 12800 or 25600 and use some noiseware such as Nik DFine or Noise Ninja or similar?

I've considered it but would rather not sacrifice so much of the image's sharpness in exchange for noise reduction. I'd also rather not spend all the extra time on each picture making various adjustments with the noise removal filter; I don't know if this is true of all noise removal programs/plug-ins, but the two I've used in the past (trial versions) were fairly time consuming when added into the post-processing workflow.

bobbyz wrote in post #13241766 (external link)
Based on the pictures 9from the link) still don't get why you need 12mm. To me those pictures don't look like even 16mm on FF.

Well, many of them aren't. I used three lenses for that particular show; a Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6, a Canon 24-105mm f/4L and a Canon 50mm f/1.4. Here's a breakdown of the shots taken that night:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

I shot the second band mostly with my 50mm f/1.4 since they were staying in one place for the most part and were a little further away but overall I used the 12-24mm at 12mm more than anything else due to the (lack of) distance between the stage and myself.

bohdank wrote in post #13242324 (external link)
There are some @ 12mm. Based on the framing, distance, I would just get slightly further back, if possible.

jarski wrote in post #13244158 (external link)
as someone commented, stepping little back (if possible) might already fix the angle issue.

For this show it was unfortunately not possible. It was a sold-out show, the venue was packed and I was in the crowd squashed against the stage and couldn't have moved an inch backwards if my life depended on it. In fact at one point I was forced to turn sideways, lift my leg and half-kneel on the edge of the stage with one leg and half-stand in the crowd with my other just to get a teeny bit more breathing room -- I ended up losing my shoe in the process.

xhack wrote in post #13242524 (external link)
Further, at those focal lengths, you can fairly easily hand-hold down to 1/15 - even 1/8 if you're feeling brave. Go manual, pre-set, and expect a 50 per cent keeper rate . . .

This is what I did, and I ended up with probably 5 usable shots out of 30. Still, the noise was pretty terrible (ISO at 6400) and the images were quite dark so even though I managed to get a few non-flash photos without much blur, other aspects of the photos still suffered. At this particular show they didn't seem to be enforcing their policy of no flash after the first 3 songs so I put my flash back on and got away with using it for the rest of the night (as did the other photographers there) but if I hadn't been able to do that and had only been able to shoot sans flash I wouldn't have gotten much.

sponsored links

4,283 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommendations for a wide angle lens (esp. zoom lens) with wide aperture?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.