Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 11 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 14:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How to sort pictures on picture DVD from two photographers

sdipirro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 12, 2011 10:21 as a reply to  @ post 13239253 |  #16

When I uploaded to smugmug and sorted according to "time taken," the photos didn't end up where I expected. I made a rookie mistake, and the two cameras did not synchronize times before the wedding, and it was my camera that was off by an hour.

It sounds like the easiest option for me will be to use bridge to do a batch sort by capture time and rename, but first I need to fix the capture time in my photos. I'd rather just sweep through my JPEGS at this point and not worry about the RAW files, if that's possible.What tools are available to do this, assuming they're all off by some fixed amount?

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 12, 2011 15:25 |  #17

In Bridge sort by time then manually drag things around. Or use EXIFTools (or similar) to fix that incorrect time in some of the RAW files. Filter by camera serial, copy those files to a new directory, and work on the copies. Keep backups.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 12, 2011 16:39 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #18

when i forget to sync my cameras (and they do come out of sync somehow too!)
i take a photo of them with a point and shoot after the wedding,
that way I can calculate exactly how far they are from each other at any given point in time.

i swear, i've synced based on the first kiss or another important moment in the day (2 shooters)
but i end up off at another point of the day when i do that.

when i do this, i get it right the first time haha
just how i do it anyway

IMAGE: http://www.mitchsgallery.com/img/v30/p251497052-2.jpg

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 12, 2011 17:31 |  #19

I have a reminder in my diary before each wedding to sync my cameras.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 12, 2011 18:41 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #20

yeah, nothing beats synching them from the get-go..

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 13, 2011 07:23 |  #21

scorpio_e wrote in post #13239253 (external link)
OP said they do not have lightroom.

Edit: Buy lightroom :D

Chris Giles Photography

sdipirro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,207 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 13, 2011 12:51 |  #22

Well, I found a batch EXIF/capture time modification program. After checking my camera time against an atomic clock, I was able to shift the time on all the JPEGs to make them accurate. Bridge then did the rest for me. I was able to sort all of my pictures with the second shooter's pictures by capture time and then rename everything using my own prefix and sequence number. I also used Bridge to update other metadata. This got me close to what I wanted, but the camera clocks are still slightly off from one another, and so there are still some pictures that appear out of sequence that I'll need to fix manually. But it definitely got me a lot closer! Thanks for the help...and I did it all without Lightroom!

Cameras: 1DX, 1D4, 20D, 10D, S90, G2
Lenses: Canon 10-22mm, 16-35mm f2.8L II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS, 300mm f2.8L IS, 200mm f2L IS, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L, 1.4x TC, 2x TC, 500D macro, Zeiss 21mm
Lighting: 580EX, Elinchrom 600 RX's, D-Lite 4's, ABR800, 74" Eli Octa, 100cm/70cm DOs, Photoflex Medium Octa and reflectors, PW's, Lastolite Hilite, Newton Di400CR bracket

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 13, 2011 13:02 |  #23

sdipirro wrote in post #13246012 (external link)
Thanks for the help...and I did it all without Lightroom!

Yep, just like I said above :p

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 16, 2011 18:05 |  #24

got a new backup camera, set the time but...
pri camera's is set before Daylight saving and the new camera is set after Daylight saving...
importing and sorted the photos... ... cant sync due to differences in half an hour of time. any idea how time in camera can be batch move forward by half an hour just to sync both set of photos?

cheers.
Scott

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 16, 2011 18:52 |  #25

MFG wrote in post #13258753 (external link)
got a new backup camera, set the time but...
pri camera's is set before Daylight saving and the new camera is set after Daylight saving...
importing and sorted the photos... ... cant sync due to differences in half an hour of time. any idea how time in camera can be batch move forward by half an hour just to sync both set of photos?

cheers.
Scott

Lightroom or EXIFTools can fix them.

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 16, 2011 20:31 |  #26

tim wrote in post #13258922 (external link)
Lightroom or EXIFTools can fix them.

Thanks Tim

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 16, 2011 20:47 |  #27

Regarding Smugmug, Here's my two cents worth. I know this probably doesn't apply to the OP's situation, but I discovered some of my images out of order when I uploaded them to Smugmug. I finally figured it out. Even though I had sorted the images by capture time, I discovered that when I shoot a burst of images, some of them were out of order. Smugmug recognized the time to the second, not tenths of a second. So, a burst out 8-10 images (at 10 fps) might have several with the same time stamp. :-(

The fix is to batch rename the images and then upload by filename.

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links

3,590 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to sort pictures on picture DVD from two photographers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.