Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 12 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 15:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

iOS5 Available...

NikStar
203 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 12, 2011 15:55 |  #1

...so who's had a chance to update? My iPhone 4 has been trying to install it for the last hour. Apparently, everyone updating has jammed Apple's servers. :mad:

Nik
Canon T3i | 18-55mm IS kit lens | 50mm f1.8 "nifty-fifty" | 40mm f2.8 "pancake" | 24mm f/2.8 "pancake" | Canon Speedlight 430ex II | Canon EOS M10 | Canon G9x

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 12, 2011 20:02 |  #2

I tried a few times to update the IPad, finally gave up. Called my son who works at Apple/Cupertino and he said give it a day and let things quiet down. I'm in no hurry. I did get the IMac updated, and the 3 Airbooks are starting updates now.

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 12, 2011 21:04 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Got it to work on the third try. Nothing too special except for the fact that it drains battery life like no other. I assume it will normalize in a day or two.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 12, 2011 21:54 |  #4

thanks for the advice!

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 12, 2011 22:13 |  #5

After 2 hours later..

I'm now having all sorts of problems....

I was able to finally get the OS updated but my back up which I updated this morning wasn't available and had to back up to April's...

I can't also sync anything from my iTunes.

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 13, 2011 10:41 |  #6

everything updated last night (imac, 3 macbook airs, 2 ipads). cloud stuff appears to work well. 4s phone arriving tomorrow, everything is ready.

va_rider
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 13, 2011 10:43 |  #7

I updated the iPad last night... I like the split keyboard and the read later option... but... that's about it for me...

Canon 5dmkIII, Sigma 15mm f/2.8FE; 35mm f/1.4; Canon EF70-200 f/2.8L IS II; --- YN560 x 7
I'm not a professional photographer, and I don't want to be.
Flickr (external link)

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Oct 13, 2011 22:49 |  #8

Mine updated in 25 minutes. So far no issues encountered.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

rklepper
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Oct 14, 2011 06:58 |  #9

So is anyone going to set their backup to the cloud? Why or why not?

Doc Klepper in the USA
I

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 14, 2011 09:02 |  #10

I've been a MobileMe user from day one. From the standpoint of synching things like calendars, contacts, and email between devices it's been flawless and seamless and I would expect iCloud to do the same. As far as backup is concerned I have mixed feelings. Cloud storage is fine for things like documents and other small files. The downside,at least for me, of using it for photo storage is the time it takes to upload large amounts of data. I've only got a standard dsl connection with 3mb down, and 768k up, and it's just too painfully slow to get gigs of info up there.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 14, 2011 09:07 |  #11

rklepper wrote in post #13249525 (external link)
So is anyone going to set their backup to the cloud? Why or why not?

I've got my stuff on the cloud - no complaints. From what I can see (which isn't much) it works as Apple said it would.

paul1913
26 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 14, 2011 09:16 |  #12

I had major issues updating to ios5 but finally managed to get it done.

My phone would be stuck on verifying / backing up for hours then would crash my entire system. I had to open a new user profile in windows to restore, then update then put in my back up contacts and everything else.

At this point I have only an iphone4 but havnt used iCloud yet..

I havnt backed anything up there either.

"Y'know what I think? Don't really matter what I think. Once that first bullet goes past your head, politics and all that stuff just goes right out the window." SFC Norm "Hoot" Hooten, Somalia 1991
---------------
Canon 6D 24-105mm L

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 14, 2011 09:17 |  #13

I've updated and so far I haven't encountered any problems.

Feedback
Instagram (external link)
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

catalyst412
363 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 14, 2011 09:31 as a reply to  @ Imaginary Enemy's post |  #14

Updated last night...no problems

7Dii | G7Xii | 24-105 L | Sigma 17-50 2.8 | 55-250stm | 60mm macro | 50 1.8 | 15-85 | 70-200 L is f4 | 85 f1.8

rklepper
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003

Oct 14, 2011 11:13 |  #15

I meant set the iphone to back up to the cloud or to the local computer.

crn3371 wrote in post #13249879 (external link)
I've been a MobileMe user from day one. From the standpoint of synching things like calendars, contacts, and email between devices it's been flawless and seamless and I would expect iCloud to do the same. As far as backup is concerned I have mixed feelings. Cloud storage is fine for things like documents and other small files. The downside,at least for me, of using it for photo storage is the time it takes to upload large amounts of data. I've only got a standard dsl connection with 3mb down, and 768k up, and it's just too painfully slow to get gigs of info up there.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I

sponsored links

2,241 views & 0 likes for this thread
iOS5 Available...
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.