Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Oct 2011 (Friday) 01:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

non Red River profile for RR Polar Matte paper?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 14, 2011 01:45 |  #1

I just got some Red River Polar Matte paper and I'm having a real problem getting colors the way I like them. I spend a LOT of time in softproofing trying to get the colors right and just don't quite succeed.

I use Ilford Galerie smooth pearl with a profile I got from another user here and it works much better than the one Ilford provides. So I was wondering if anyone here uses RR Polar matte on a Canon pro9000MkII with a different profile than the one RR provides.

Thanks

sponsored links
Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,151 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 14, 2011 05:53 |  #2

ncjohn wrote in post #13249084 (external link)
I just got some Red River Polar Matte paper and I'm having a real problem getting colors the way I like them. I spend a LOT of time in softproofing trying to get the colors right and just don't quite succeed.

I use Ilford Galerie smooth pearl with a profile I got from another user here and it works much better than the one Ilford provides. So I was wondering if anyone here uses RR Polar matte on a Canon pro9000MkII with a different profile than the one RR provides.

Thanks

Hey, Asheville! How are ya'?

Sorry, can't help. I print to an Epson and the RR-supplied profiles work exceptionally well. But a question. You mention (only) softproofing, but say nothing about print appearance. Are you going only by what you see in the S proof?

I do not officially recommend this to others, but to be honest, I quit softproofing some time ago. I find the prints I get look exactly like the monitor where softproofing does not. The backlighting of a monitor (to me) creates deceptive proofs.

What do your prints look like?

Website (external link) |

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 14, 2011 10:35 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #3

The prints look like the softproof. Usually that's a good thing. :)

Edit: Actually, that's never a good thing. The prints should look like the original, not like the softproof. Mine look like the softproof.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 15, 2011 00:30 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #4

By the way, Dan, I tried your approach: I printed a couple photos using the RR profile but with no softproof editing. I'll let you know what happens after they sit for a day or so.

Update: I tried several prints on the RR Polar Matte paper with no softproofing and I have to agree, they look better than when I tried softproofing. The prints are a little dark but the colors are perfect. I just have to come up with a "number" for how much too dark they are, and voila!

Thanks for the info.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 15, 2011 21:48 |  #5

Mistake #2: I should have posted a new message instead of updating the previous ones so this thread would be back in the flow.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,151 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 16, 2011 09:14 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #6

Common problem (dark prints) posted about here on POTN all the time.

Simple solution: when calibrating, set your luminance value lower.

For example, the usual recommended standard on luminance is 120. However, for my epson printer, I find a luminance around 90 works best. You will find many other people here on POTN that also set lum at 90-100.

When I calibrate around 90, my prints are stunning in color, brightness and contrast. They are exactly what I process to. Good luck.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 17, 2011 20:04 |  #7

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #13256993 (external link)
Common problem (dark prints) posted about here on POTN all the time.

yeah, I know, that's why I'm aware of it.:)
No, when I say the print is too dark, I mean that when I print a test image (like this one http://www.inkjetcarts​.us …ing-test-chart-image.html (external link))
the 2 darkest squares on the gray scale are the same. On screen they're easily distinguishable but on the print there's no difference.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 17, 2011 20:33 |  #8

One more question, Dan: Since you don't do softproofing, how do you set your rendering intent?
Thanks

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,151 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 18, 2011 06:10 |  #9

ncjohn wrote in post #13264234 (external link)
One more question, Dan: Since you don't do softproofing, how do you set your rendering intent?
Thanks

Usually RC. Rarely perceptual. Generally speaking, I only use papers (brands) that come with their own custom profiles, plus good documentation that included settings such as rendering intent. If that info is not included, I will search for info. Formerly, when I used to softproof, I almost always evaluated RC better than percept.

Also, I use an Epson 3800. With that, I utilize the incredible resource of Eric Chan's (external link)websites who is the 3800 / 3880 guru. He supplies many free profiles plus settings info. His info has been invaluable. Don't know if you can find site(s) like his for your Canon, but it's certainly worth a search or two. Good luck.

sponsored links

1,645 views & 0 likes for this thread
non Red River profile for RR Polar Matte paper?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.