Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 Oct 2011 (Friday) 12:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

i'm a pro now!

rh18
180 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined May 2011

Oct 14, 2011 12:10 |  #1

First I want to say thanks to everyone on the board for sharing their knowledge... evidently, I've learned so much that I'm a professional now! (OK, not really, I'm joking about the being a pro part.)

I needed some prints really quick, so I got some 4x6's printed at the Walgreens down the street. I went in to pick up my pictures and the lady spread them out on the counter and asked, "were these taken by a professional?" Her accusatory tone made me a little defensive but I guess I should have taken it as a big compliment.

Anyway, I know this is a big issue for the real pros but on the flip side, is there any way for me to avoid the hassle of having to fill out a form when I pick up my pictures? They weren't watermarked or anything (and honestly weren't all that great). That's never happened to me before, so I was really take off guard a little. I guess that's the only way for them to protect themselves??

Gear and Feedback | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Eiro
Goldmember
1,349 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 14, 2011 12:14 |  #2

Take it as a compliment and enjoy. Per everyone 1 congratulatory, comment you will have 10 negatory lined up right behind. Print with a local lab instead of Walgreens.

Get out and shoot

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 14, 2011 12:25 |  #3

rh18 wrote in post #13250691 (external link)
First I want to say thanks to everyone on the board for sharing their knowledge... evidently, I've learned so much that I'm a professional now! (OK, not really, I'm joking about the being a pro part.)

I needed some prints really quick, so I got some 4x6's printed at the Walgreens down the street. I went in to pick up my pictures and the lady spread them out on the counter and asked, "were these taken by a professional?" Her accusatory tone made me a little defensive but I guess I should have taken it as a big compliment.

Anyway, I know this is a big issue for the real pros but on the flip side, is there any way for me to avoid the hassle of having to fill out a form when I pick up my pictures? They weren't watermarked or anything (and honestly weren't all that great). That's never happened to me before, so I was really take off guard a little. I guess that's the only way for them to protect themselves??

That girl should know that real pros don't print at Walgreens!:D;)
I would have to second using a dedicated photo lab. Walgreens machines will do some automatic adjustments that you may not be happy with. I did some "emergency" prints there last holiday season ("Oh NO!, we didn't get grandma anything! Quick, lets stop at a Walgreens and print up some photos of the girls and put them in an album!") and was a bit let down that they made some color/contrast/sharpen​ing adjustments that made the images look less than stellar. I asked the girl working the machine and she had no idea what I was talking about, however, I talked with someone a while later who services those machines and confirmed that they add a "special sauce" to the images to help make P&S images look a bit better. It's nothing major, but it was enough to annoy me. :confused:

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 14, 2011 12:30 |  #4

A second thought that I had; I have all of my info in my EXIF(name, contact info, copyright etc.), I've never been questioned about whether the images are mine, either from Costco, Sams, Walgreens, Ritz, or any online print service. However, if it is a problem for you, you could type up a print release for yourself, sign it and carry it with you.

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Oct 14, 2011 12:34 |  #5

Fill out the metadata. That will help. More than likely, she was trying to determine if you were copying somebody's else's work. Ive had a few where they wouldn't print them.

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,995 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 14, 2011 12:44 |  #6

kjonnnn wrote in post #13250826 (external link)
Fill out the metadata. That will help. More than likely, she was trying to determine if you were copying somebody's else's work. Ive had a few where they wouldn't print them.

I doubt it... I worked in a large retailers "photolab" in high school... I can assure you, the only thing we had to go by was looking at the photos. We didn't have access to any metadata, whether they were online orders or digital prints from the kiosk.

As for offended/complimented, you could take it as both...
A) Because she was, in a nutshell, accusing you of reprinting a pro's copyrighted work.
B) Because she was saying that your work looked professional.

However; she went about it all wrong... When attempting to catch copyright infringement; We were trained to let the customer set their own trap.

Make comments such as, "Wow, these are really nice... Where'd you get them done?" Most people would walk right into it and tell you exactly what studio took the pics, at that point, we'd request a written copyright release before releasing the prints to the customer.

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

CanonGrl01
Goldmember
1,369 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 14, 2011 12:48 |  #7

Sneaky!

5Dii | 35L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 430EXII
T2i | 50 1.8 | 18-55 | 55-250

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 14, 2011 13:09 |  #8

nrowensby wrote in post #13250869 (external link)
However; she went about it all wrong... When attempting to catch copyright infringement; We were trained to let the customer set their own trap.

Make comments such as, "Wow, these are really nice... Where'd you get them done?"

That would have been a lot better. While it's a little sneaky, it would have come across to me more complimentary. I would have just happily said, "oh I did them at home" and wouldn't have thought anything about it. Maybe I should suggest that technique if it happens again. :)

Also, I agree with everyone that Walgreens isn't the best place to get prints but I just needed these real quick to throw in a thank you note. Normally I'd use mpix or something.

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 14, 2011 13:16 |  #9

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13250804 (external link)
However, if it is a problem for you, you could type up a print release for yourself, sign it and carry it with you.

Wouldn't they still make you fill out this form? I can't imagine she'd trust a release for myself any more than she trusted my word. It probably didn't help that I just got finished playing soccer, so I didn't look very "professional" at the time.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 14, 2011 13:37 |  #10

rh18 wrote in post #13250981 (external link)
Wouldn't they still make you fill out this form? I can't imagine she'd trust a release for myself any more than she trusted my word. It probably didn't help that I just got finished playing soccer, so I didn't look very "professional" at the time.

We printed a few of our wedding photos in town for the thank you notes. They asked at the desk for a copyright release from the tog. We showed it and they gave us our prints. Just print up a generic "XYZphotography" rights release and sign it in an illegible manner. ;)
The worst that could happen is that they think you didn't get your monies worth from the photographer!:o

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

rh18
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 14, 2011 13:46 |  #11

Scatterbrained wrote in post #13251062 (external link)
We printed a few of our wedding photos in town for the thank you notes. They asked at the desk for a copyright release from the tog. We showed it and they gave us our prints. Just print up a generic "XYZphotography" rights release and sign it in an illegible manner. ;)

I'll try to remember to carry one with me next time (like I'm going to get mistaken for a pro again :lol:).

Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 171 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 14, 2011 14:16 as a reply to  @ rh18's post |  #12

Thanks for the heads up.;)

nrowensby wrote in post #13250869 (external link)
...Make comments such as, "Wow, these are really nice... Where'd you get them done?" Most people would walk right into it and tell you exactly what studio took the pics, at that point, we'd request a written copyright release before releasing the prints to the customer.

Not anymore:p

CanonGrl01 wrote in post #13250886 (external link)
Sneaky!

I'll print my own up to 13x19, beyond that I'll order via my site from Mpix

My Treasure Chest
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

th0rr
199 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 15, 2011 20:35 as a reply to  @ Methodical's post |  #13

Just an FYI for anyone that uses Costco. There is an option to turn "auto correct" off when you have them print your snapshots.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 15, 2011 20:42 |  #14

th0rr wrote in post #13255522 (external link)
Just an FYI for anyone that uses Costco. There is an option to turn "auto correct" off when you have them print your snapshots.

Yes, you are right. As far as I know most if not all "reputable" print services provide that option. And, it's important for photogs to know about the option and the need to exercise it if they care about having control of the printing process!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 15, 2011 23:33 |  #15

rh18 wrote:
=rh18;13250691...asked​, "were these taken by a professional?" Her accusatory tone made me a little defensive but I guess I should have taken it as a big compliment. ...

Complaining or bragging?

I'm just kidding. That used to be our standard line when, for example, a girl would complain that guys would follow her down the street, when someone said that their surfboard felt stiff in triple-overhead surf, or when someone would complain that their car had very slow acceleration from 120 mph on up.

Own it! It's a huge compliment, even if it comes from a store clerk. You probably had the same look on your face as when my wife gets carded at a bar.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

sponsored links

2,861 views & 0 likes for this thread
i'm a pro now!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.