Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Oct 2011 (Friday) 19:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Stuck with a 1.8/Nifty Fifty. HELP

Ohiodude
62 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 14, 2011 19:45 |  #1

Love the fact that my nifty fifty can give me that amazing depth of field, but I had my roommates mom ask me to come take some shots of the shop today.

Nifty fifty absolutely didnt get the job done. I didn't take in to account that I mostly do close up portraits, and didn't realize the distance I was from the clients in her shop.

Looking for a decent zoom, but a lower aperture, but doesn't a carry a $1400 price tag.

Help. Please.

Thanks shutterbugs.

sponsored links
cfvisuals
866 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 14, 2011 19:55 |  #2

Stop down, and there you go.

flickr (external link)
5∞ portfolio (external link)

Ohiodude
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 14, 2011 19:56 |  #3

???

znemas
28 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 14, 2011 19:57 |  #4

Lower aperture = more cash, no way around it. However, I have had good luck with my Canon 28-135 IS. It has a relatively lower price point and they can be found all over Craig's List for around $200-$250, that's an affordable zoom. You won't get the DOF like you get with your Nifty, but that's the adictive magic of primes.

Good luck with your search and happy shooting!

I have cameras and lenses that I use to take photographs.

The ­ Devil
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 14, 2011 20:08 |  #5

Wait... was the 50mm too long or too short for your needs?
In any case, I'd recommend either a Sigma 30mm F1.4 or a Canon 85mm F1.8, dependant on whether you were too close or too far away.
I am assuming you are using a crop body.

Or, alternatively, you could do something completely insane and just use your feet.

A good photographer can take extraordinary photos anywhere, with any camera and any lens while a mediocre one will take mediocre ones everywhere, with every camera and every lens.
Never limit yourself with what others think you should do. Shoot what you find interesting, exactly the way you want to.
Flickr (external link) 500px (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 14, 2011 20:09 |  #6

What kind of focal length are you looking for? Sigma 17-50 OS is around $650; if you need longer, the Canon 70-200 f/4 non-IS can be had for around the same price, but you have to either keep your shutter speed up or use a mono/tripod to avoid camera shake.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 14, 2011 20:16 as a reply to  @ Snydremark's post |  #7

Ohiodude: I think we need to know what you want to spend to help you

Richard
Gear

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 14, 2011 20:16 |  #8

Ohiodude wrote in post #13252331 (external link)
Love the fact that my nifty fifty can give me that amazing depth of field, but I had my roommates mom ask me to come take some shots of the shop today.

Nifty fifty absolutely didnt get the job done. I didn't take in to account that I mostly do close up portraits, and didn't realize the distance I was from the clients in her shop.

It's not clear what the problem was. Can you post examples or describe it better?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 14, 2011 20:45 |  #9

Sounds like you need the 85 1.8

Photography on my budget? WHAT WAS I THINKIN?!:confused:

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 14, 2011 20:56 |  #10

so no actual problem mentioned other than that the OP is wanting to go for a zoom rather than prime i think.

im not sure how its possible to be stuck with a thrifty 50, when used properly its an amazing lens for the price

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,288 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 14, 2011 21:29 |  #11

Looking for a decent zoom, but a lower aperture, but doesn't a carry a $1400 price tag.

Help. Please.

Thanks shutterbugs.

Couldn't just move in closer?

If not, the cheapest fast zoom that might fit your needs is the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 or Tokina 50-135 f/2.8

Next up the line would be one of the 5 versions of the Sigma 70-200 2.8

A used Canon 70-200 2.8 (non-IS) can be had for about $850.

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 14, 2011 22:02 |  #12

calvinjhfeng wrote in post #13252357 (external link)
Stop down, and there you.

I'd go here. If the focal length was okay, stop down to a smaller aperture to increase depth of field. If your shutter is too slow as a result, use a tripod.

If you have a focal length issue, you need to weigh your options...too wide and you'll battle distortion, too long and your images may start to look flat.

minitrucker
197 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 16, 2011 11:25 |  #13

I don't the exact distance created between you and you're subject in the studio compared to what you're used but, assuming you're using crop, 85mm is the best fl for many reasons. I think the 1.8 can had for less than $500. Otherwise all the 70-200 2.8 zooms areall going to be in the $800 and up range

Photography on my budget? WHAT WAS I THINKIN?!:confused:

mark2009
Goldmember
1,997 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 16, 2011 12:24 |  #14

Help. Please.

Thanks shutterbugs.

Not sure what your problem was? If it is depth of field, then stop down the 50mm. Not sure why you would need a zoom in a shop, zoom with your feet if that was the problem, my guess it was depth of field .

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 16, 2011 15:59 as a reply to  @ mark2009's post |  #15

Only one post by the OP with any information and 11 posts by forum members trying to figure what the issue is. :confused:

Richard
Gear

sponsored links

2,145 views & 0 likes for this thread
Stuck with a 1.8/Nifty Fifty. HELP
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.