Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 11 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 11:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D & 85mm 1.8...Dark Gymnastics Meet..Now what? Help!

dmwierz
Goldmember
2,376 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 14, 2011 21:09 |  #46

amyskis wrote in post #13252431 (external link)
But what about floor where they move all over? How do you get a fix on that?

The Jerk here…you figure out your exposure on different parts of the floor, calculate how many "clicks" of your selector wheel (for aperture or shutter speed) are required to adjust for the various parts of the floor, then roll the wheel up or down the proper amount. This is the same thing that's done when you shoot in a stadium where there are lotsa shadows and bright sunny spots.

The same thing is done when shooting, for example, on a basketball court where mid-court is brighter than the end lines, or on a football field where the end zones are darker than midfield (like where I shot last Saturday night)

The earlier advice that your AE can be fooled by dark or bright backgrounds is correct.

http://www.denniswierz​bicki.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/dmwierz (external link)

Dennis "
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand."

sponsored links
amyskis
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 14, 2011 22:13 |  #47

Wow Pelsh..just noticed you were at Elite! Are you going to the Legacy Invite? Thank you for your advice!

pelsh wrote in post #13251734 (external link)
Try TV mode. Routines go fast - in Manual mode it's quite challenging to adjust it all. Usually in gymnastics venues light is not consistent even under the same event.
Learn how to control focus point fast. Aperture will be in f1.8-f2 most of the time, so always have your focus point on the face of the gymnast. Your lens is very fast to focus - I use it a lot and I love it.
ISO: Auto
Shutter speeds:
Beam: 150-300 (depends on what you are capturing)
Bars: 300-400
Vault: 400 and up
Floor: Again - depends on what you want to capture. Poses - 150-250, jumps and tumbling 500 and up
You have to shoot RAW and learn how to correct the images on the computer.

http://photos.elite-gymnastics.com/Photos-from-Meets (external link)

Vadim Balakirev
Elite Gymnastics Academy, Burnsville Minnesota
www.elite-gymnastics.com (external link)

amyskis
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 14, 2011 22:15 |  #48

Lacks_focus wrote in post #13252544 (external link)
If you're asking about using manual mode on floor, i've not run into a situation where the floor was lit uneven enough to create a problem. I see more of an issue with color shift from one end of the floor to the other than I do EV change. You'll just have to see when you get there. Give manual a try. Keep in mind that shooting manual is not spinning the dials to center the camera's meter... Once you have EV set for the subject, you completly ignore the meter.

Ok, maybe I'll just stay in AV tomorrow at the meet to be safe and play around with manual at practice and by the next meet I can do as you say here. I will change to JPEG + RAW though for tomorrow for sure. Very helpful!

pelsh
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 14, 2011 22:30 as a reply to  @ amyskis's post |  #49

Yes, I need to shoot our Level 4 and I might stop by for the second part of the day tomorrow (Saturday). Not sure what session that would be.

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 15, 2011 06:51 |  #50

amyskis wrote in post #13252750 (external link)
Ok, maybe I'll just stay in AV tomorrow at the meet to be safe and play around with manual at practice and by the next meet I can do as you say here. I will change to JPEG + RAW though for tomorrow for sure. Very helpful!

good luck.... hope ya get some good shots :cool:

fyi.. i would get everything off of your card before going.. then format your card.. and change to raw+jpg.. and see how many pics it will tell you that you can take.. i believe i can take 800ish in this mode with a 32gb card.. so not sure how big our card is.. make sure you take a few cards if you have them!!!!!!

cant wait to see what you get...

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

lugnut45
548 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 15, 2011 08:26 |  #51

I totally agree with TweakMDS's comments above.

My 2cents, albeit a bit late.....i've shot my 40d at ISO 1600 (even 3200) before and had to adjust brightness up due to the dungeons that they perform gymnastics in.
It also kind of depends if you want to print photos or just look at them on the computer.

The noise will be there on the computer, however, if you print (4x6, 5x7) you should be very pleased. Pick a reputable printer and you should have good success.
Keep in mind that with action, as many have said before me, that an "infocus" noisy photo is better than a blurry one (unless you are going for some artsy look).

I did gymnastics last year for a customer and shot no lower than ISO1600, with a 40d and 85 f/1.8. Processed slightly in PSE8 and the customer was very pleased.

Smile.....take pictures!
https://photography-on-the.net …p=14422392&post​count=3147

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 15, 2011 08:57 |  #52

amyskis,

not sure if anyone has pointed this out yet, but UNDER exposing with the xxD series bodies leads to a huge amount of noise. Sometimes we sacrifice proper exposure to get the shutter speed we think we need to freeze action and get sharp images. The thinking is that we'll simply lighten it during post-processing. Then we see all the noise that is caused by underexposing the shot to begin with.

Shooting gymnastics indoors is similar to basketball or volleyball. Basic settings for you to consider: Put camera in MANUAL mode, set lens aperture to f/2. Set the shutter to 1/500, (this should be ok for the beam stuff) and raise ISO number until you have proper exposure.

When I shot with a 30D and 50D it was necessary to use a noise-reduction software setup when processing images. Noise is a reality using the xxD bodies indoors at higher ISO settings.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

amyskis
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 15, 2011 09:23 |  #53

amyskis wrote in post #13252750 (external link)

Whoops, I can shoot in manual mode now with my good settings, just not manual focus quite yet. I'll practice that this week.

amyskis
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 15, 2011 09:26 |  #54

TeleFragger wrote in post #13253605 (external link)
good luck.... hope ya get some good shots :cool:

fyi.. i would get everything off of your card before going.. then format your card.. and change to raw+jpg.. and see how many pics it will tell you that you can take.. i believe i can take 800ish in this mode with a 32gb card.. so not sure how big our card is.. make sure you take a few cards if you have them!!!!!!

cant wait to see what you get...

Whew, glad you said this. I have an 8gb card and I usually take around 2000 shots at a meet. And I need to format it then, thank you!

amyskis
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 15, 2011 09:29 |  #55

pelsh wrote in post #13252778 (external link)
Yes, I need to shoot our Level 4 and I might stop by for the second part of the day tomorrow (Saturday). Not sure what session that would be.

I'll be at Session 3. Blonde, *chubby* with purple Legacy sweatshirt:)

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 15, 2011 10:05 |  #56

amyskis wrote in post #13253971 (external link)
I'll be at Session 3. Blonde, *chubby* with purple Legacy sweatshirt:)

wow u said... *chubby*.. i think you meant one of these as my wife calls them..

1. Fluffy
or her best decription she uses
2. A "Real" woman

hah.. have fun.. also im curious how many shots you can get.. lemme know.. as you will also need to be a picture freak and maybe walk away with a hand full...

also you may want to invest in a few more memory cards... to have handy.. even though i have a 32gb i still carry a spare 2gb... "Just In Case"

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

Lacks_focus
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 15, 2011 13:58 |  #57

amyskis wrote in post #13253951 (external link)
Whoops, I can shoot in manual mode now with my good settings, just not manual focus quite yet. I'll practice that this week.

I think I would aviod manual focus... What would be the purpose of bypassing AF mode? You should select one focus point, as approprate, and use AI Servo to focus.

1D MKIII | FujiFilm X10 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 70-200 f/2.8 | 135 f/2 | 85 f/1.8 | 580EX |
lacks-focus.smugmug.com (external link)

amyskis
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 16, 2011 10:45 |  #58

Lacks_focus wrote in post #13254613 (external link)
I think I would aviod manual focus... What would be the purpose of bypassing AF mode? You should select one focus point, as approprate, and use AI Servo to focus.

Oh good, I don't want to shoot in manual focus, I thought that's what some of you were talking about, whew. For beam I used the top center point but with floor it was tough because I switch from portrait to landscape on a few moves so I just stuck with center.

Thank you!! I have a 16gb card, they make a 32? Jeez, ok, I'll have to get my hands on one:)

amyskis
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 16, 2011 10:49 as a reply to  @ post 13252544 |  #59

Ok, my daughter qualified for event finals today (2nd highest bars score of the whole meet **brag brag**:D !!

I had all your "voices" running through my mind last night as I was shooting and I am so thankful!! I will clean up a couple of my favorite shots and see what you guys think.

I accidently used the RAW+JPEG for my son's football game so it ate up a lot of the card before the gymnastics meet so I had to switch to just JPEG to make sure I had enough room. I will shoot RAW+JPEG today.

Off to do some meet hair! Thanks guys!
~Amy

amyskis
THREAD ­ STARTER
25 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 16, 2011 10:52 |  #60

TeleFragger wrote in post #13254045 (external link)
wow u said... *chubby*.. i think you meant one of these as my wife calls them..

1. Fluffy
or her best decription she uses
2. A "Real" woman

hah.. have fun.. also im curious how many shots you can get.. lemme know.. as you will also need to be a picture freak and maybe walk away with a hand full...

also you may want to invest in a few more memory cards... to have handy.. even though i have a 32gb i still carry a spare 2gb... "Just In Case"

LOL!! I don't mind, I used to be a like one of those olympic gymnasts that quit and started eating Doritos! I was tiny my whole life, I embrace this post-baby and post pro-athlete body with pride:D. I hated all that attention anyway...REALLY (seriously). Off to have some french toast before the meet:p

I took 2,400 pics the first meet:)

sponsored links

11,325 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D & 85mm 1.8...Dark Gymnastics Meet..Now what? Help!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.