Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 13 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 04:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is this the way to meter for outdoors backlit subject?

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 13, 2011 04:37 |  #1

I just want to see if my understanding of the theory is correct.
My subject is outdoors has the sun at the rear and the front is shaded. So this is how i would attempt to ballance things out:
A.) Meter for ambient light by focusing my cameras center point on a grey card faced to the sun. Put those settings to manual mode..
B.) Let the cameras ETTL II mode take care of exposure on the dark side of my subject

A.) use a light meter in ambient mode to determine camera settings.
B.) use the light meter in incident mode to determine flash output power on the shadowed side... The reading should equal the aperture of the first ambience reading for even lighting between subject and ambience.

So am i correct in both methods by either using a grey card or light meter? How do you guys do it?

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

sponsored links
lettershop
A lame title from the TF
967 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 13, 2011 04:59 |  #2

you were also using flash in 1) above correct?

1DX, Gripped 60D,10-22mm, 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 60mm 2/2.8 Macro, 580ex, 430EXII, Pocketwizards, Softbox, Tamron 1.4X TC, Canon 2x TC, GT3541LS, BH-55

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 13, 2011 05:02 |  #3

Ya flash for both.. Sorry

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 13, 2011 08:55 |  #4

http://www.youtube.com …ISm7C6fiY&featu​re=related (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,346 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 13, 2011 11:50 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #5

The YouTube video is very nice but a lot of people don't have the money for such a setup.

Simple method:

1) Set your camera to "M" mode and adjust your Shutter speed and Aperture for the background(ambient light). Just as you would if taking a landscape shot.

2) Now bring in your subject and use your flash to expose them. You have two ways of accomplishing this. A) Set it to ETTL mode and let the flash automatically choose proper exposure for your subject. You may want to check your camera's metering mode for this, otherwise adjust your flash output as needed. B) Set the flash manually and adjust as needed.

This assumes you are using Canon gear or a fully compatible ETTL flash of course. You can also play with the camera and flash settings, such as HSS, if desiring unique exposures as the video describes.

Good luck

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 13, 2011 11:56 |  #6

Incident meter reading on the subject face...

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

GeeMack
778 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 13, 2011 12:05 |  #7

I just got back from the beach where I tested this theory extensively. What I did was first determine the DOF I wanted and set the aperture for that. Then adjusted shutter speed for correct EV (using the camera's spot metering on the background). Using E-TTL and high speed sync, the flash took care of itself. If you don't like what the flash gives you, adjust FEC appropriately. Worked well for me. I activated HSS just in case the correct EV called for a faster shutter speed than the flash sync.

7D, 50 f1.8, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 2x TC III, 580EX II, 430EX, 568EX II, 622C
glmphotos.zenfolio.com (external link)

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 13, 2011 12:19 |  #8

Looking at the youtube video, i think i got the theory understood. Except i would prefer using a grey card to meter ambient light. Dont know if thats a better or worse thing to do.
I also find that i cant see my cameras display in the sun, even on its brightest setting. I can only just make out the histogram so i have to go by that. It makes adjusting exposures to taste an impossible task and reliance on incident readings for the flash.

lettershop
A lame title from the TF
967 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 13, 2011 13:42 |  #9

Grey card vs face-this is probably more a matter of style. If you are shooting weddings you might meter for the white dress. In the end you may have to adjust your exposure anyways.

Regarding the washed out camera display in the sun, try this, it works great for me
http://hoodmanusa.com/​products.asp?dept=1017 (external link)

1DX, Gripped 60D,10-22mm, 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 60mm 2/2.8 Macro, 580ex, 430EXII, Pocketwizards, Softbox, Tamron 1.4X TC, Canon 2x TC, GT3541LS, BH-55

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 13, 2011 14:57 |  #10

boerewors wrote in post #13245838 (external link)
Looking at the youtube video, i think i got the theory understood. Except i would prefer using a grey card to meter ambient light. Dont know if thats a better or worse thing to do.
I also find that i cant see my cameras display in the sun, even on its brightest setting. I can only just make out the histogram so i have to go by that. It makes adjusting exposures to taste an impossible task and reliance on incident readings for the flash.

You may not have the gear but I thought the video would help with the concept. You can try a grey card for the background exposure and perhaps the white towel method for the subject. Not sure how well that will balance ambient and flash. I use a meter so I never tried ballancing this way. I had used the white towel method but never tried balancing.

http://super.nova.org/​DPR/Histogram/ (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

z-monster
95 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 14, 2011 23:00 |  #11

digital paradise wrote in post #13246554 (external link)
You may not have the gear but I thought the video would help with the concept.

Chuck Norris Approved

IMAGE: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs51/f/2009/319/7/b/CHUCK_NORRIS_APPROVED_by_X2010.gif

My feedback

sponsored links

2,298 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is this the way to meter for outdoors backlit subject?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.