Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Feb 2011 (Monday) 00:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

SD to CF Adapter?

KHLEANG711
28 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 07, 2011 00:03 |  #1

CF cards are pricey and I also have a few SD cards laying around from my Rebel, I have a 7D now.

Wondering is the write speed affected while using an adapter? Video and RAW photos? I'm assuming this is not fast enough to keep up with the high data rate of the Canon 7D when writing to the card. Anyone have success with one?

Canon 7D | Canon 50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.8 | 100mm 2.0 | 430exII |

sponsored links
amujee
21 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 23, 2011 01:04 |  #2

While waiting for my 50D to arrive, I did some testing of this SD to CF adapter (external link) with my 8GB SanDisk Extreme SDHC card. The read and write speeds were comparable to my 4GB SanDisk Ultra II CF card.

P.S. This test was on my computer with a SanDisk Extreme usb reader.

SkedAddled
Goldmember
2,697 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 23, 2011 01:32 |  #3

I've used a generic SD/SDHC-to-CF adapter in my Rebel XTi/400D and in my
40D, with very generic SDHC cards, and have no complaints.

However, I do not shoot in high framerate modes.

If you require high-speed framerates, this is probably not an ideal solution, as the
conversion transfer is widely reported as being very slow. I mostly shoot stills
in dark environments, so take my input with a grain of salt. YMMV.

Craig5D4|50D|S3iS|AF:Canon 28-135 USM IS|MF:Tamron SP 28-80|Tamron SP 60-300|Soligor 75-260|Soligor 400|Soligor C/D 500|Zuiko 50 f/1.8|others
Support this exceptional forum
Of course I'm all right! Why? What have you heard?!?

treebound
550 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 22, 2011 09:54 |  #4

I'm currently shopping for a new camera and the SD versus CF issue is one of my considerations. SD cards are easier to find than CF cards at a few retail stores I've checked at, so I'm thinking an adapter might be the way to go if I get a 7D.

Off to search for more input.

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 22, 2011 09:58 |  #5

treebound wrote in post #12271905 (external link)
I'm currently shopping for a new camera and the SD versus CF issue is one of my considerations. SD cards are easier to find than CF cards at a few retail stores I've checked at, so I'm thinking an adapter might be the way to go if I get a 7D.

Off to search for more input.

I wouldn't. SD cards tend to be slower than CF cards, and the SD-CF adapters don't help with that. Just buy a few good CF cards when you get the camera. CF cards are also more conveniently sized for handling, especially if you're wearing gloves or out in bad conditions, and they're big enough you can label them.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

treebound
550 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2011

Apr 22, 2011 11:10 |  #6

Thanks. I was afraid of the CF cards becoming obsolete.
Now I just have to decide on the camera and find the budget for it. (But that is for a different section of the site. )

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Mike

=====
60D w/18-135 kit lens, 55-250mm, EF 50mm 1.8, 580EXII flash.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 22, 2011 11:22 |  #7

CF cards are far from obsolete. They're generally bigger and faster than SD cards, and they don't have the design limitations that SD cards do. You'd need to find an SDXC-CF adapter to use SD cards of over 32 GB or SDHC-CF adapter for SD cards of up to 32 GB capacity (a straight SD adapter will hit the wall at 2 GB), while any CF card ever made will work in the 7D (well, any CF card over 16 MB, if you shoot RAW; smaller than that and you can't count on fitting even a single shot on the card).

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 19, 2011 20:01 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #8

Just curious if you gave this a swing yet. I'm looking at a 7D and I really don't want to move away from the SDHC cards in my T2i. I understand all the pros and cons but at the end of the day I won't put more than 8G in my camera and I don't need 24 frames at 8 fps. It will more likely be in bursts of 5-10 with a lag of several seconds in between shots at most. What I like about SDHC is that my laptop has a dedicated slot for it and most computers I'm around have access to SD adapters if they don't have a dedicated slot while with CF I'll need to tote an adapter.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

centex99
58 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 19, 2011 20:26 |  #9

I agree.... does anyone have any true speed tests on a 7D with decent (for instance I have 8GB Extreme 3 SDHC class 6 cards) and a decent adapter? I would never shoot more than a few seconds at high FPS... (at least I don't think so anyway)

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 19, 2011 20:57 as a reply to  @ centex99's post |  #10

Glad I'm not the only one. I mean, if I knew I was going somewhere that needed the additional throughput, I could pack a CF, but the rest of the time just doing portraits and stills, I could keep a CF adapter in. Also, I'd like to know if it is necessary to remove the CF adapter to swap CD cards or if you can just hot swap the SD cards in and out of the adapter.

centex99
58 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jul 19, 2011 21:00 |  #11

I think you'd have to pull the adapter... most adapters load the SD card on the side (perpedicular to pins on CF card) and I believe the CF card plugs in (pins first) in the 7D...

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,879 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 19, 2011 22:52 as a reply to  @ centex99's post |  #12

So you have paid $1000+ for a 7D and find CF memory cards are pricey? ;)

Try to use a 7-10fps camera body shooting large raw files with a SD based body....not. There is a reason why ID4 and 7D "still" use those good old fashion CF cards.

BTW, just got our Lexar 32GB 600x CF cards. They kick @##!!

Use those with a Lexar USB 3 reader for seriously fast downloads:D

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 20, 2011 17:48 as a reply to  @ MCAsan's post |  #13

I'm not so concerned about the price difference. My concern is compatibility. SD is standardized and nearly every laptop has a slot for one. For CF you have to have an adapter. The adapter you have to pack everywhere with you is pretty large. I could pack another battery for the tradeoff in space. Last I checked, the only time you run into the card write speed at all is during high speed shooting while the buffer is full. I'm sure you can get about 16 RAW shots before you do that. I don't shoot sports, so that's not an issue for me.

stevolution
384 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 24, 2011 15:58 |  #14

I was in the same situation. I moved from a T1i/T2i setup to a 50D/7D setup so I had a LOT of SD cards sitting around. I purchased this one from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1311540​899&sr=8-1 (external link)

It works perfectly in my 50D/7D, but on a class 8 SDHC, I lose 2 shots on the high speed continuous burst, and the buffer fills up pretty quick. No biggie for me though. You have to load the SD card from the top, so you have to take the adaptor out to switch out the SD card. With that said, I still use CF cards in my 50D/7D, but it's nice to know that if I'm in a pinch, I can use a SD card now.

"It's not what you look at that matters... It's what you see."

Michelle ­ Davies
62 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 15, 2011 17:01 as a reply to  @ stevolution's post |  #15

I purchased the same adapter and can't get it to work in either my 7d or 5d. Anyone have any others that they are using?

sponsored links

14,279 views & 0 likes for this thread
SD to CF Adapter?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.