Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 17:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LightRoom File Management

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 15, 2011 17:06 |  #1

Hi,

I just put my OS on a 128 Gig SSD. So storage is going to be on a regular HD.

My question is this:

• if I import photos to Lightroom I believe I can store them where ever I want. Which for me is on by HD. How does LR handle the files in terms of space. I see them in the Library - so does this use any of my SSD or is this Libraries/Catalogs only being seen form the HD? Do I have to worry about any space (other than the program itself) using up SSD space?

Thanks, sorry if the question isn't as clear as it should be.

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 15, 2011 17:12 |  #2

When you import photos into Lightroom, you can "put" them wherever you want. In the Import dialog, I have a "parent" folder in the Destination panel that is on my internal hard drive for my current shoots that is "sticky". I then type in a subfolder for a particular shoot.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

jvdgeest
52 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 15, 2011 18:01 |  #3

You can store the pictures wherever you want. Lightroom only maintains a catalog file (and some other files, such as previews), which does not take very much space. You could also move the catalog file to your regular HD.

Johan
http://johanvdgeest.co​m/ (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/johanvdgeestphotogra​phy (external link)
flickr (external link)

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 15, 2011 18:11 |  #4

Hey Thanks,

Just the answer I needed.

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 15, 2011 18:28 |  #5

Just to be clear here, when you "import" files into Lightroom the files are not physically moved into the catalog. All you're doing is establishing a link or reference to the location of the file(s). Consequently, your files can reside anywhere you choose and in any folder/directory format you prefer.

The catalog can also be placed anywhere but for performance sake I'd imagine you'd want your catalog on your SSD.

Here's a great explanation of what's involved: The Library Analogy (external link)

General_T wrote in post #13255051 (external link)
Hi,

My question is this:
  • if I import photos to Lightroom I believe I can store them where ever I want. Which for me is on by HD. How does LR handle the files in terms of space. I see them in the Library - so does this use any of my SSD or is this Libraries/Catalogs only being seen form the HD? Do I have to worry about any space (other than the program itself) using up SSD space?

Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 15, 2011 19:19 |  #6

As was mentioned, you could benefit from putting your catalog folder on your SSD. Another folder that could use the SSD performance boost is the Camera Raw Cache, which stores your full-size previews used in the Develop module. But as to photos, I have them devided between my current shoots on my internal "data" drive and an external drive (as well as an external backup drive).

Tony
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 15, 2011 19:49 |  #7

General_T wrote in post #13255051 (external link)
Hi,

My question is this:

I'm confused.

Copy the files from your memory card to whatever folder you want on your hard drive, then import them in Lightroom. Why wouldn't you be able to copy the files wherever you wanted?

Gear List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 15, 2011 20:39 |  #8

Numenorean wrote in post #13255429 (external link)
I'm confused.

Copy the files from your memory card to whatever folder you want on your hard drive, then import them in Lightroom. Why wouldn't you be able to copy the files wherever you wanted?

Well, when people are first learning to use Lightroom, they can get mixed up about "how it works". So, it's not something for you to get confused out, it's the OP sorting out his confusion:)!

And, I imagine the OP is using the Import function to load images off a memory card and import them at the same time, in which case he needs to designate a destination directory/folder.

Tony

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 16, 2011 06:43 |  #9

PixelMagic wrote in post #13255239 (external link)
Just to be clear here, when you "import" files into Lightroom the files are not physically moved into the catalog. All you're doing is establishing a link or reference to the location of the file(s). Consequently, your files can reside anywhere you choose and in any folder/directory format you prefer.

The catalog can also be placed anywhere but for performance sake I'd imagine you'd want your catalog on your SSD.

Here's a great explanation of what's involved: The Library Analogy (external link)

Hey PixelMagic,

That was great. I have booked marked that page for future ref. Thank you.bw!

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 16, 2011 06:45 |  #10

Numenorean wrote in post #13255429 (external link)
I'm confused.

Also, the SSD (solid state drives) is small (128 Gigs) so you dont want RAW files eating that precious real estate up.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 16, 2011 07:27 |  #11

With a 128MB SSD you should be able to optimise the speed gains with the following workflow -

First, as others have said, make sure the Lightroom Catalog and the CR Cache on the SSD. The catalog can grow very large if you have a lot of 1:1 Previews. I make sure they're set to delete after 30 days (you can alway re-create them).

It does speed up processing if the raw files are also on the CD. But, as suggested above, you dan't want them wasting SSD space. The trick is to only have them on the SSD while they're being worked on.

So, I import from the card onto the SSD - into a folder called 'Working Images'. During import I tell LR to create 1:1 Previews (slows down the import, greatly speeds processing). Then I cull the dud images (in Loupe view, with 'Caps Lock' on; Press X to flag for deletion, P to mark for processing, U (or right arrow) to leave unflagged - then press CTRL-Backspace to delete all those so flagged). FInally, everything is processed.

Once processing has finished I move the images onto the HDD. The important thing here is to to the moving from within Lightroom's Library module. That way LR can keep track of where all the images are.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 16, 2011 08:27 |  #12

On the copy / move / import confusion: http://tv.adobe.com …lightroom-3/be-organized/ (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links

1,243 views & 0 likes for this thread
LightRoom File Management
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.