Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Sep 2010 (Sunday) 17:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

T2i Sensor cleaning

alpharon
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 19, 2010 17:54 |  #1

My T2i was purchased in May 2010. There's really nothing wrong with it at all, but I was wondering if it would be covered under warranty if I were to send it in to Canon for a sensor cleaning. If so, how long does something like that usually take and which Canon service center is the best place to send it to? I'm located in San Diego, CA.

R O N P A R E J A (external link) | Twitter (external link)

sponsored links
Lisa
"At least once a day"
2,325 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Sep 19, 2010 18:20 |  #2

I think you get 1 sensor cleaning under warranty after that you pay for it. When I had my XS I had the focusing screen replaced and the sensor cleaned and returned in less than 10 days. If you could drop it off yourself instead of having to ship it they might do it the same day.

Gear (full list)
Canon 6D & 60D
Photobucket (external link)

alpharon
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 19, 2010 19:19 |  #3

That's great to know. I have to find out where the closest service center is to San Diego. I think I'll try to get that done when my warranty is just about out.

b2squared
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 09, 2011 00:10 |  #4

alpharon wrote in post #10938972 (external link)
That's great to know. I have to find out where the closest service center is to San Diego. I think I'll try to get that done when my warranty is just about out.

I enjoyed your question and info on the Canon forum. I bought my Canon T2i around the same time and also live in San Diego, CA. Did you end up taking it in to a local Canon center, mailing it in, or using another shop to clean the sensor?

Also, what was the cost/time required, if you don't mind me asking and was one cleaning included under warranty? Thanks for the information!

vegasfill
29 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 11, 2011 05:21 |  #5

My camera was almost through its warranty period! Thank you for the reminder to send it in for this sensor cleaning :)

alpharon
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 16, 2011 23:20 |  #6

b2squared wrote in post #13223712 (external link)
I enjoyed your question and info on the Canon forum. I bought my Canon T2i around the same time and also live in San Diego, CA. Did you end up taking it in to a local Canon center, mailing it in, or using another shop to clean the sensor?

Also, what was the cost/time required, if you don't mind me asking and was one cleaning included under warranty? Thanks for the information!

I guess I should have updated this post a long time ago. I brought the T2i in for cleaning to the Canon Service Center in Irvine. It was still under warranty, but they informed me that all cleanings on camera bodies are always charged a $30 fee. I used the warranty service to have them replace the camera grips that were starting to peel around the shutter button. They informed me that all the service would be completed in 2 days, so I dropped the camera off and left them my address to have them mail it to me when they completed. I ended up receiving my camera in the mail the very next day!

The service people were very helpful and knowledgable. Everything got done pretty quickly. If you're looking for a 1-day turnaround, I would suggest you get to the service center right when they open at 8:00am (i think). Otherwise, you'll probably have to wait 1 or two days for cleaning to be completed.

I sold my T2i shortly after that cleaning and purchased a 7D. I will be taking my 7D in for thorough cleaning sometime in January. Let me know if you have any more questions and please post your experience here when you get a chance.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 16, 2011 23:26 |  #7

Heh! It's funny -- if I had seen your post a year ago I would have hollered "IRVINE!!!":)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 16, 2011 23:30 |  #8

But, for the future, please take some time to read up on Sensor Cleaning. It's easy to do manually. You can do a forum search and you can do an Internet search for "sensor cleaning" and read enough to get you pointed in the right direction! Look at the companies Copperhill, Photographic Solutions and Visible Dust -- they've been around for a long time and each offer tools and methods to safely clean the buggers!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

danwanfur
108 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 17, 2011 00:02 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #9

I own a T2i too (still under warranty) and I clean the sensor myself using visible dust swabs and sensor cleaning fluid (eclipse). It's really easy and only takes a few minutes if you're careful. As I change lenses very frequently (especially when I'm traveling) and often do macro stuff, I end up cleaning my sensor every couple of months (maybe 4-5 times so far).

5D Mark IV; Sony A7r; DJI Mavic Pro; Gopro Hero 7 Black; Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8; EF 16-35mm f/4.0L IS; EF 24-70mm f/4.0L IS; EF 85mm f/1.8; Sigma 150-600mm f/5.0-6.3 DG C; EF 500mm f/4.0L IS I; DJI Mavic Pro
Website (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 17, 2011 00:08 |  #10

Sensor cleaning is easy, and buying a set of supplies will last you a while. Bought a set of Eclipse stuff a couple years ago for my 30D, and I still have like 6 of the dozen swabs left.

In fact, I just used that Type 2 swab to clean my 5D since there was some dust that stuck on the sensor from this past weekend. More wipes, but still squeaky clean! :D

It's a boon to learn to do it yourself, and it's a cakewalk. Better than sending our your camera for a couple days to Irvine or another service center. Barring that, call up some local shops.

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

Peter2516
Cream of the Crop
26,309 posts
Gallery: 953 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 17, 2011 00:58 |  #11

I've called Canon and asked for cleaning the sensor also and the technician told me that eventhough only 1 yr warranty they give you an extra 3 more months and you can send it to San Diego, CA. without charge.

But I never send my camera I bought the eclipse swabs and watch their tutorial and since then I've been just doing it myself.

Peter
http://www.flickriver.​com/photos/peterbangay​an (external link)
EOS 5D Mark IV, 1Dx1, 7D Mark I & II/Canon T2i Gripped/EF 500mm f/4L IS USM MK1 / EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM / EF100 -400 f4.5-5.6L USM/ EFS 10-22mm/EFS 17-55mm/EFS 18-200mm/Canon 1.4x II/Canon 2x III/ 430EXII / 580EXII.

sponsored links

7,139 views & 0 likes for this thread
T2i Sensor cleaning
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.