Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 15 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 23:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Client stole images off facebook fan page

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 15, 2011 23:27 |  #1

I know this has been discussed, and images are not "safe" on FB......but.....

Client contacted me for a modeling portfolio. She paid the session fee and was interested in a digital package of 10 edited files for an online portfolio. We discussed pricing and went on the photoshoot.

She loved the images and selected her favorites. When I told her she needed to pay now before I started retouching them, she got all shady and gave me a story how she is a college student, just got a huge speeding ticket and a huge vet bill and couldn't afford anything more at this time. I like a sucker offered her a discount, but never heard from her again (I kept the session fee, she got nothing.

2 months later I put 3 images from her set on my facebook page portfolio 720px long side. A month later, which is today, I noticed she did not tag herself but is using one of the images as her FB profile pic. This really annoys me because she didn't pay for anything and now has the images and is using them publically. Should I let it go or write her a love letter?

sponsored links
tricky500
424 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 15, 2011 23:38 |  #2

I would just let it go. It won't make a decent print, at least you got paid a session fee...

- Paul

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 15, 2011 23:56 |  #3

You made out like a bandit. She paid a session fee and only used one image that you retouched for yourself. Let it go.

Now, work on your business practices.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

PhotosGuy
Cream of the Crop
75,941 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 16, 2011 08:55 |  #4

2 months later I put 3 images from her set on my facebook page portfolio 720px long side.

Shouldn't that read, "2 months later I put 3 images from her set on my facebook page portfolio 720px long side, with a huge watermark advertising my site."?
Then she would be working for you. ;)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,301 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 16, 2011 09:22 as a reply to  @ PhotosGuy's post |  #5

Images are perfectly safe on facebooks as well as flickr, smugmug, pbase and on when they are properly watermarked. Your mistake, your fault.

And as P-guy says above, if they were watermarked and it was not removed, count your blessings. You are getting advertising help free.

Website (external link) |

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 16, 2011 10:02 |  #6

U867-

This is a very predictable outcome. After all, the power of FB is share your creative work quickly with hundreds of potential new customers.

Your business model of a separate fee for retouching and prints is antiquated. Include retouching a fixed number of images in the initial fee, place the images in an online gallery for easy sharing, put a link of the images on their FB, and have them order as many prints as they want. Happier customers, no additional work for you, and the whole family orders prints. They share images on FB, and viola you have just marketed yourself to all of their friends for free.

-Scott

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

USER876
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 16, 2011 12:41 as a reply to  @ sspellman's post |  #7

That is a good pricing stategy, but I found the teaser rate upfront with no minimums they only buy what they love, has worked well. Usually thy buy enough and the images I post on FB are ones they own already. This is a different circumstance.

I contacted her and she agreed to at least tag herself in the photos and also pay me or the one she took.

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 16, 2011 14:58 |  #8

sspellman wrote in post #13257126 (external link)
U867-

Your business model of a separate fee for retouching and prints is antiquated. Include retouching a fixed number of images in the initial fee, place the images in an online gallery for easy sharing, put a link of the images on their FB, and have them order as many prints as they want. Happier customers, no additional work for you, and the whole family orders prints. They share images on FB, and viola you have just marketed yourself to all of their friends for free.

-Scott

Well I don't know about Detroit, but in the rest of the country this model works great for many and increases sales and reduces post production time. I don't want to waste my time retouching hundreds of images if they are only going to order one image large enough to require it. A bunch of 4x6s? Waste of my time.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 16, 2011 16:57 |  #9

PeaceFire wrote in post #13258125 (external link)
Well I don't know about Detroit, but in the rest of the country this model works great for many and increases sales and reduces post production time. I don't want to waste my time retouching hundreds of images if they are only going to order one image large enough to require it. A bunch of 4x6s? Waste of my time.

You have to read carefully "retouching a fixed number of images in the initial fee". The traditional model of sitting fees and $20 dollar prints doesn't work very well when anybody can get a $2.99 print at Walgreens.

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 16, 2011 19:34 |  #10

sspellman wrote in post #13258568 (external link)
"retouching a fixed number of images in the initial fee".

Where was this missed cause I missed it too. As far as I can tell there was a session fee and retouching was offered at an additional price.
Personally what Walgreens sells it's prints at has no influence on my prices. I sell my creative interpretation. Prints are just one way to have that product delivered.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

USER876
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 16, 2011 21:50 as a reply to  @ Jimconnerphoto's post |  #11

I was selling the customer websize digital files (maybe enough for a 4x6)

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 17, 2011 00:35 as a reply to  @ USER876's post |  #12

Facebook even has a download link for images that implies to users that it's OK. Why would you put anything there without a watermark?

Richard
Gear

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,695 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 17, 2011 08:11 |  #13

You should treat model portfolio work as a commercial protrait job, not as a personal portrait job--so there is no "session fee" and subsequent "print fee," there is a single fee calculated according to the requirements of the job (even if you have a day rate, expenses, et cetera, it still adds up to a single bottom line amount that you'll invoice the commercial client). When I do commercial portraits and headshots, I bring the images up on my laptop immediately after the session and the client chooses her images (the number previously agreed for the fee). For simple headshots, I'll retouch right then, burn the disc, deliver the disc, collect the fee, shake hands and walk out.

If it's something special that requires more post work, the client will still select the images right after the session.

How I collect the fee depends on the business I'm working with. Smaller businesses pay me in full when I hand them the disc. Larger business get an invoice, and I get paid 30 days later.

I never, ever post anything on Facebook or anywhere else until I'm paid. No "teasers," no "previews," nothing.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,889 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 17, 2011 10:56 |  #14

Have you contacted the model saying something like, "Hi... I saw that you are using some of the photos from our shoot on your facebook page. Please list my website with your photo and let me know if you are still looking to purchase higher quality prints/files for your portfolio."

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 19, 2011 09:00 |  #15

Also you can contact facebook and claim a photo to be removed because of copyright. I've heard that before and that they will take action. They don't want lawsuits.

sponsored links

3,693 views & 0 likes for this thread
Client stole images off facebook fan page
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.