Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
Thread started 16 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 22:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you do with an event like today's?

Chippy569
Goldmember
1,851 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 16, 2011 22:56 |  #1

I wasn't there, but I also don't know how I'd react if I had been. I feel like the pictures I would have shot would have been... insignificant, I guess. A very sad day in motorsports today.

Gear List
David Nichols (external link) - Sound Designer
How to export to Youtube HD from Quicktime

sponsored links
Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 17, 2011 01:59 |  #2

If you are a photojournalist at an event documenting what is happening you have to submit the compelling images and let your editor choose what is appropriate to use.

I know it is not good to compare a tragedy like what happened on October 16th to other things but war photojournalist deal with it everyday.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

GSH
"wetter than an otter's pocket"
3,939 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 17, 2011 04:56 |  #3

War & Motorsport are hardly comparable.

Speaking as a non pro, if i were ever to capture something like that i would delete the photos and walk away.

RIP Dan Wheldon.

Geoff www.bhppix.co.uk (external link)

andrewc
Goldmember
1,403 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 17, 2011 11:52 |  #4

I would hesitate to just delete them. Your shot may have captured an important detail in the sequence of events that others did not - whilst possibly unlikely at a huge event such as this, but could be much more likely at smaller events. TV, even in HD form does not have the same level of detail that a sequence of photos may have.

Deciding how to get the images to the people that matter is another problem - the circuit officials, the media office or via a reputable photo agency.

Norwich Photo Motorsport Photography • Facebook Entry • Canon EOS 7D / 50D / 40D / 24-105L / Sigma 100-300 f4 / 50mm f1.8 / Tamron 28-300 / 2x Canon 580EX2 flash / Interfit and Lastolite studio gear / Manfrotto supports / Lowepro Stealth Reporter AW650 and Computrekker

IndyJeff
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Oct 17, 2011 12:51 as a reply to  @ andrewc's post |  #5

I would hate to have shots of a fatality, especially the Wheldon crash. However if your working for a media outlet you are obligated to turn in the images, as someone already mentioned.
With IndyCar they ofeten ask for the sequence to study the crash. This is one of the ways they help design safety features into the cars. At the Indy 500 in 2010, the last lap crash involving Mike Conway was very similar to Wheldons crash. I took a CD of the entire sequence over to the director of photography at IMS a couple of days later, per his request. Since the crash happened down track from me, my images weren't real tight but, they did show the entire debris field during the crash. Ron McQueeney, the DoP, told me so far they were the best images they had for studying that crash because of the exposure to the entire debris field.
So, you never know when your images of a bad crash may be benefical to the safety of future competitors.

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

ryant35
Goldmember
4,355 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2007

Oct 17, 2011 14:14 |  #6

One of the media photographers at that race is a friend of a friend, her photos were used on SI.com
Images like these crashes end up on the wire sites long before it was known or announced that the driver passed.

5DMK4, 7DMK2, 24-104mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS MK2, 17-40mm f/4, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 35mm f/1.4,1.4X & 2X TC III 580EXII
www.ryantorresphotogra​phy.com (external link)Photography Facebook Fan Page (external link)
flickr (external link)

kb9tdj
585 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 17, 2011 16:43 |  #7

IndyJeff wrote in post #13262185 (external link)
I would hate to have shots of a fatality, especially the Wheldon crash. However if your working for a media outlet you are obligated to turn in the images, as someone already mentioned.
With IndyCar they ofeten ask for the sequence to study the crash. This is one of the ways they help design safety features into the cars. At the Indy 500 in 2010, the last lap crash involving Mike Conway was very similar to Wheldons crash. I took a CD of the entire sequence over to the director of photography at IMS a couple of days later, per his request. Since the crash happened down track from me, my images weren't real tight but, they did show the entire debris field during the crash. Ron McQueeney, the DoP, told me so far they were the best images they had for studying that crash because of the exposure to the entire debris field.
So, you never know when your images of a bad crash may be benefical to the safety of future competitors.

I had the same experience as well, I also had a sequence of the Conway accident and was asked by Ron McQueeney to provide a CD of my images (which I did willingly). I did follow up with Ron at a later date and he said that they did find the info they were looking for in another photographer's set of images.

Scott
1D Mk IV | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 1.4x Extender
www.scottrichardsonpho​tography.com (external link) YouTube Channel (external link)

IndyJeff
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Oct 2003

Oct 17, 2011 22:00 as a reply to  @ kb9tdj's post |  #8

kb9tdj, that was not the first time they have used my photos from a crash. The first time they ever asked for them was a couple of days after the Woods crash at Ky Speedway back in 03 I think it was. Come to find out I was the only guy who had shots of the crash. Was later told that the safety people were very appreciative because they were a big help in understanding what happened during that particular crash. It does make you feel it's all worth while when you can help out to make it a safer sport doesn't it?

On shooting sports...If you see it happen then you didn't get it.

Bernardo
116 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 18, 2011 16:05 |  #9

I do not know what I would do and being honest at first I will probably think.

Wow that its a great set of pics... Knowing what it has happen to the poor guy I still wouldn't know what to do... In any case when you lose a young guy with wife and 2 kids probably the camera will take a few steps back and I will feel like a piece of shxit trying to bank some money on someone else life... RIP Wheldon

kb9tdj
585 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 18, 2011 19:19 |  #10

IndyJeff wrote in post #13264713 (external link)
kb9tdj, that was not the first time they have used my photos from a crash. The first time they ever asked for them was a couple of days after the Woods crash at Ky Speedway back in 03 I think it was. Come to find out I was the only guy who had shots of the crash. Was later told that the safety people were very appreciative because they were a big help in understanding what happened during that particular crash. It does make you feel it's all worth while when you can help out to make it a safer sport doesn't it?

Yep, it absolutely does make it worthwhile to be able to help contribute to the safety of the drivers.

Scott
1D Mk IV | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | 1.4x Extender
www.scottrichardsonpho​tography.com (external link) YouTube Channel (external link)

sponsored links

2,492 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you do with an event like today's?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.