Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 16 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Push-Pull on Canon 100-400mm

Bogino
490 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 16, 2011 09:55 |  #1

I am going to view a used Canon 100-400mm later today and I know the zoom works using a "push-pull" method. I haven't tried one of these out before but just checking on the following: When I try it out should the "push-pull" be a very "smooth" process. Or do some of these develop a rough feel to them. In other words should the sliding back and forth of the lens have a very smooth feel to it. Thx.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
Crafty
226 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 16, 2011 10:07 |  #2

yes it should feel reasonably smooth.

The critical bit is the locking ring - ensure that is smooth and isn't stiff, it should be easy to move with thumb and finger and smooth in operation. Locking rings are known to fail, they get messed up by people push/pulling whilst locked (or partially so), wrecks them no end, it is a bit of a weak spot too I think. Look for little bits of black tracing paper falling out of it.
Over here its a £130 fix from Canon ($180 ish ?) a repair in the USA might be cheaper.
No problem to get it repaired, just factor in to the price.

Lens should come with both end caps, a hood and a carry bag.

flickr (external link)

kram
obvious its pointless
2,607 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 16, 2011 10:20 |  #3

When the lock ring is off, the movement is really smooth. It gets tighter with the lock ring - but never rough....

Canon 7D , Canon 6D, 100-400 L, 24-105 F4 L, 50 F1.4, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 1.4X Extender
My Gallery (external link)

JuliusUpNorth
522 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 16, 2011 17:35 |  #4

What Crafty and kram said. I have had my 100-400 for several years. It is my most often used lens, and the lock ring is still as tight as it was when I bought the lens new (probably because most of the time I have the lens locked at 400 mm).

Good luck--I hope you will enjoy your new lens!

Julius

KCMO ­ Al
Goldmember
1,115 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Oct 16, 2011 20:32 |  #5

This is probably the trickiest part of this particular lens...the locking ring. It just takes a little experience to know how YOU like it. I usually loosen it while shooting and then tighten it before I stow it so the lens doesn't zoom out when you shoulder it or release it. Great lens. Perfect for air shows, zoos and the like.

Film: Leica M-4, Elan 7E, Rolleiflex 2.8f, Pentax 645 -- Digital: Canon Pro-1, EOS 5D Mk III
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3

Tanglefoot47
Goldmember
2,413 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 17, 2011 06:07 |  #6

If it's rough could mean the bearings are messed up or the tightening ring is to tight

pdemetreos
148 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 18, 2011 05:38 as a reply to  @ Tanglefoot47's post |  #7

I've rebuilt a couple of these. If you see any scars on the barrel, the tighting mech has gone out...this requires a fair amount of service to correct. With the locking ring all the way open, the lens should be very easy to open and collapse. Smooth and noise free throughout. If it binds or gets harder to move through any part of its travel, then its proabably worn and again needs service. Doesnt mean you shouldnt buy it...just make sure everything works and get it for a good price. The locking ring is part of the outer barrel assembly and costs around 130.00 USD plus labor....

marcosphoto
80 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 18, 2011 07:40 |  #8

I just bought one, and let me tell you they're everything BUT smooth. The IS is loud, the barrel is not sealed at all and the zoom is not the smoothest no matter where you put the locking ring. They are a little tricky to operate but man are they ever sharp for the price and focal lengths! The IS may be loud and first generation technology but very effective none the less. I suggest leaving the lock looser as opposed to tighter to avoid the potential for locking ring damage, build up stronger arm strength to carry and operate the thing and enjoy. I know there's a lot of good shots coming with mine.

Crafty
226 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 18, 2011 14:20 |  #9

IS isn't that loud on mine I don't think ?
As said both zoom and locking ring should be smooth.

As someone else said above unlock the ring completely when in use, then lock up before it goes back in the bag.

How did it go Bogino ? did you buy it ?

flickr (external link)

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
490 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 18, 2011 14:27 |  #10

Crafty wrote in post #13268662 (external link)
IS isn't that loud on mine I don't think ?
As said both zoom and locking ring should be smooth.

As someone else said above unlock the ring completely when in use, then lock up before it goes back in the bag.

How did it go Bogino ? did you buy it ?

I tried it out and did exactly as suggested which was to make sure the locking mechanism was fully unlocked and the push/pull was perfectly smooth. I did not buy on spot cause I had to take a look at one other lens but that one did not pass the mustard so I am picking up the original one in question tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Leaving for Costa Rica in about 5 weeks so I know it will come in very handy. Appreciate all the comment and feedback. Was very helpful.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2011 14:30 |  #11

One thing to be aware of:

A good locking ring should turn about an inch to an inch and a half from full loose to full tight. If it only moves a very tiny amount before it grabs, it may be on the verge of clutch failure which means the sleeve inside which applies friction is going bad or the cams that drive it are going bad.

Look for scratches along the barrel to see if the previous owner liked to zoom with too much tension applied. The zoom action itself should be very free and smooth. This lens will "fall" to 400mm if tilted down without locking.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

2,732 views & 0 likes for this thread
Push-Pull on Canon 100-400mm
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.