Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 09:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monica - need C&C and some inspiration :)

andylo
292 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2011 09:18 |  #1

Been doing a bit of photos lately but there is nothing I feel it's presentable, until now...

Done a portrait session for my friend Monica.... and the following are couple of pics I feel confident to present.

Looking forward to your C&C, it will help me to improve and inspired. Thank you very much in advance.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1023.photobuck​et.com …n%20Protrait/_M​G_3210.jpg (external link)

http://i1023.photobuck​et.com …n%20Protrait/_M​G_3036.jpg (external link)

http://i1023.photobuck​et.com …n%20Protrait/_M​G_3209.jpg (external link)

Andy

Canon 1DX/1DMKIII :: Canon 8-15mm f/4 L :: Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L :: Canon 17-40mm f/4L :: Canon 100mm IS f/2.8L :: Canon 70-200mm IS f/2.8L MKII :: Canon 50mm f/1.2L :: Tripodo GX-1227 carbon tripod :: Manfrotto Monopod

sponsored links
FstopMiami123
Goldmember
2,686 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 18, 2011 09:26 |  #2

Color seems off, green tint at least on my monitor.

Armando

Canon 5DSr Canon 5D MK2 17-40 L 16-35 2.8 L Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L Canon 300 2.8 LCanon 50mm 1.8 Canon 85mm 1.8Canon 600EX
www.CollsFineArtPhotog​raphy.com (external link)

Jon ­ C
760 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 18, 2011 10:37 |  #3

The poses are actually very good, but seem a bit contrasty.

But, to me, the backgrounds are distracting in the last two and the little flowers off to the right in the first one really don't add to the shot. She is supposed to be the most interesting part of the picture, not fuzzy statues, white fences, or little flowers.

Canon 7D | EF 24-105L | EF 70-300 | EF 400 5.6L

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2011 10:43 as a reply to  @ Jon C's post |  #4

The white balance is off - she looks green in 1 and 3, pink in 2

Richard
Gear

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Oct 18, 2011 11:32 |  #5

#2 has a bit of promise....not sure about the cut off hands.

The first and the third images have horrible green casts to them....if you were going for the zombie look...you have a winner...if not, you might want to reprocess them.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

dino211
174 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Oct 18, 2011 12:10 |  #6

#2 - If the statue is going to be in the background, crop wider.
The sunglasses are are not helping in #1 and #3.
Like #2 the most.

Dean
Canon 7Dii, 5Dii, 100-400L, 70-200L f4is, 100 macro, 300L f4is, 24-105L f4i

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 18, 2011 13:23 |  #7

Agree with color issues. I like the poses and you have a terrific model but your blacks are blocked up.

And what's with this tilted image fad? Canon goes to the trouble of putting leveling capability in their latest body and angles seems to be the current fad. Is that a Nikon conspiracy or something? ---End rant---

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

andylo
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2011 18:39 |  #8

Thanks guys.

With the green cast - I was using some of the "Lightroom Preset" I have downloaded from "preset heaven".

At a glance it looked very cool.... it looks like "highway to get stylish" for me.... and my recent addiction to the iPhone app "Hipstamatic" isn't really helping.

Now you guys have mentioned, then I realize I have a total screw up re this!

I should have stick to the tradition and forget about those hippie color! Sigh!

And what's with this tilted image fad? Canon goes to the trouble of putting leveling capability in their latest body and angles seems to be the current fad. Is that a Nikon conspiracy or something?

Just out of curiosity, (consider most of you guys have be a member here for a long time which I believe you both have extensive amount of experience) tilt angle is also another taboo?

Funny thing: before I went to the photo shoot, a very experienced phototog just said to me the road of learning photography is a very twisty and usually have steep curve... a lot of people will actually gone for the completely wrong direction.... and I was hoping I am not one of them....

Look like I am :(

Andy

Canon 1DX/1DMKIII :: Canon 8-15mm f/4 L :: Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L :: Canon 17-40mm f/4L :: Canon 100mm IS f/2.8L :: Canon 70-200mm IS f/2.8L MKII :: Canon 50mm f/1.2L :: Tripodo GX-1227 carbon tripod :: Manfrotto Monopod

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 18, 2011 18:51 |  #9

Andy - that was just my opinion. I've seen a bunch of it lately and it does wear thin quickly. But I'm considered an old fart so I should make way for the new guys. Just don't over use any technique - 2 out of 3 of your posted shots were tipped.

From Wikipedia - Dutch tilt, Dutch angle, Dutch shot, oblique angle, German angle, canted angle, Batman angle, or jaunty angle (in non-cinematic static photography) are terms used for one of many cinematic techniques often used to portray the psychological uneasiness or tension in the subject being filmed.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

bob_r
Goldmember
2,435 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 18, 2011 20:10 |  #10

The first image would be might favorite with a little cropping. The second has that white framework that extends into her head and she doesn't seem to be the dominant subject in the third image.
Here's a quick edit to crop the first image and I did auto-color and auto-tone adjustments to help get rid of the green tint.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

andylo
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2011 20:37 |  #11

It does look better without the green tint! Thanks bob_r :)

Andy

andylo
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 19, 2011 09:21 |  #12

Here's my second attempt.

Tried to fix the skin tone and white balance. Lose the presets and bring back more details in the dark/shadows

http://i1023.photobuck​et.com …Critique%201/_M​G_3210.jpg (external link)

http://i1023.photobuck​et.com …Critique%201/_M​G_3036.jpg (external link)

http://i1023.photobuck​et.com …Critique%201/_M​G_3209.jpg (external link)

Andy

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

Oct 21, 2011 00:50 as a reply to  @ andylo's post |  #13

Nice work Andy.

At a glance it looked very cool.... it looks like "highway to get stylish" for me.... and my recent addiction to the iPhone app "Hipstamatic" isn't really helping.

Now you guys have mentioned, then I realize I have a total screw up re this!

I should have stick to the tradition and forget about those hippie color! Sigh!

Styles are fine - you just have to be selective so that it's one that adds the image. The "green tint style" just looks like you were aiming for "normal" colors and missed the mark. But don't give up on all styles - B&W is a style.

Richard
Gear

andylo
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 21, 2011 09:10 |  #14

Thanks for the encouragement :)

Andy

johndoorley
364 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 21, 2011 20:43 |  #15

couple of quick comments:
Beautiful model.

white balance is off.
#1 I would crop off the flowers on the right- they are not framing her but are distracting
#2 and #3 personnaly not a big fan of the tilt shots, plus the statue's coloration competes with her skin tones.

She is beautiful, something to keep in mind when shooting a portrait - She is THE subject, include only things that accent her or draw attention to her, exclude anything that competes with her for your eye's attention.

Your photo # 2 has examples of both.
first the statue in the fountain distracts the eye from your model.

Now place your hand over the statue/crop the left side of the photo
notice the leading lines -
The latice work guides the eye to her,
The edge of the fountain dish guides your eye to her
Her arms, and lines of the dress pleasingly bring the eye up to her face and eyes.

You have some nice shots of a beautiful lady, keep shooting!

sponsored links

1,820 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monica - need C&C and some inspiration :)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.