Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 18, 2011 11:49 |  #286

No more threads asking on how to get shutter count. :D

"The EOS-1D X alleviates this problem by featuring a status log that keeps track of any error that may occur and when it happened. This makes it easier for a technician to diagnose any issues. With the status log, there is also a counter that keeps track of the number of shutter release cycles, measured in ‘000's, so it is easy to see how much a camera has been used. However, with a shutter durability that has been increased from 300,000 frames on the EOS-1D Mark IV to 400,000 frames on the EOS-1D X it's unlikely that many photographers will exceed the expected shutter life of the camera. "

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

sponsored links
jarias
581 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 18, 2011 11:50 |  #287

Just pre ordered one the waiting begins

George

Gear List

jcothron
Goldmember
4,258 posts
Gallery: 416 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 18, 2011 11:57 |  #288

yummy

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,401 posts
Gallery: 582 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 18, 2011 12:01 |  #289

Ok guys, i've had time to sleep, Here are my complete thoughts on the 1D X

First off, I like it, its a gigantic step foreward, everything about it is new, and thats nice...some highlights to me:

- New sensor seems targeted right between the D3S and the D3X, More pixels than the S for wedding photogs needing to make large prints, but less than the X to keep noise controlled nicely, Very cool

- New metering system with a 100,000 pixel RGB matrix(253 zones in most situations VS 63), This sounds MUCH more like Nikon's meter..Hopefully it works as well

- New AF system, Wow, that seems like a lot of cross type points and that...Very nice system, hopefully it performs as well as it looks (And i dont doubt it)

- AF Microadjust, Now you can adjust both ends of the zoom range by different amounts, Thats a cool feature right there... Hopefully this one trickles down the line fast

- 3.2" Rear Screen, Cool, wish it was articulating but i understand that its not because of the 1D X needing absurd durability

- Controls, Wow, I like this, vertical joystick FINALLY for focus point selection ;) Also like the FOUR buttons on the front of the camera that seem to be assignable to DoF preview/etc...Also good to see a set for vertical orientation

-----

Overall this is very much like what I said when i proclaimed the 1-series would be combined into a single camera, The One Camera To Rule Them All, and this seems like it is that, it seems like a camera you can take to any situation and it will perform perfectly in that situation, and at $6800, its really not that bad when you consider a 1Ds III sold for $7000-8000 at one time....

Now, this is a good thing, if I'm right, then this means Canon is likely going to start incorporating more features into the 7DII and 5DIII

I expect the 5D Mark IIs successor will be a higher resolution (Perhaps 32-36mp) Studio/Landscape camera, it will have a bit higher durability than the previous 5DII, New AF system, probubly a refinement of the 19 point system in the 7D using tech from the 1D X

The 7D's successor will be even more tailored to the wildlife and action shooting set, for those of us who want a 1.6x crop or who simply cant afford the 1DX, Probubly remain at 18mp, but refined a bit for better high ISO performance, the AF system will likely use imporvements from the 1D X and I hope it has smaller AF points and is more discerning than the current one (And yes, For the 600 Billionth Time I know about Spot AF, and I STILL feel Spot AF is not discerning enough..)

And I expect we will indeed see a new cheaper FF SLR, I predict the 5DIII will move up a little in price (Like the Rumored D800) which leaves a spot to put an affordable FF SLR in the lineup...

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2011 12:04 |  #290

And then Canon can finally kill off EF-S... ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

V-Wiz
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 18, 2011 12:07 |  #291

Just thinking out loud, isn't it a better idea to wait for a few months after it comes out for them to probably iron out any little issues?

Gripped 5D Mark II l 24-105 F/4 L l 70-200 F/4 L l Tokina 12-24 F4 l 50mm 1.8 l Sigma 600 Mirror l B+W KSM CPL l B+W 6stop ND filter l Hitech 0.6 GND l YN-468 Flash l Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC l Induro Tripod, Vanguard 250 Ballhead.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 18, 2011 12:07 |  #292

20 pages of comments in under 12 hours... that has to be some kind of new POTN record!

Canon's press release claims the X's entirely new 18MP sensor is more noise free and more enlargeable than 21MP FF prior. We'll see!

I won't be an "early adopter" (as if I can afford a pair of them anyway!)... Let someone else do the beta testing. Especially not likely to jump immetiately to a brand new model with so many radically new features: shutter, metering system, image sensor, AF system and more in this case.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 18, 2011 12:10 |  #293

V-Wiz wrote in post #13267958 (external link)
Just thinking out loud, isn't it a better idea to wait for a few months after it comes out for them to probably iron out any little issues?

Now you know exactly the purpose served by gear whores... ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 18, 2011 12:13 |  #294

Wow wow wow!!! This makes me want the 5D3 to come out even more! VERY happy to read all the new video additions and upgrades they included! I may end up selling my 5D2s for one of these!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Oct 18, 2011 12:14 |  #295

I suppose that this camera would make me want to charge more for photography so i could afford it...IF it is as good as the D3s in high ISO noise control.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,401 posts
Gallery: 582 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 18, 2011 12:14 |  #296

V-Wiz wrote in post #13267958 (external link)

Possibly...

Rob Galbraith will be complaining about something with it, like he always does, I know that already

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,643 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Oct 18, 2011 12:19 |  #297

So far, I'm impressed. I'm pre-ordering this and hopefully won't be let down once it arrives.

I'm actually very very happy with this announcement and the specs. I can't believe the price... seems too good to be true.

johnny_boy
75 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 18, 2011 12:22 |  #298

amfoto1 wrote in post #13267959 (external link)
Canon's press release claims the X's entirely new 18MP sensor is more noise free and more enlargeable than 21MP FF prior. We'll see!

Where does it say that (18.1 mp being more enlargeable than 21 mp)? I was reading through the Press Release and did not find that little blurb.

Indecent ­ Exposure
Goldmember
3,402 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 18, 2011 12:24 |  #299

I am in lust.

- James -
www.feedthewant.com (external link)
500px (external link)
Gear List and Feedback

District_History_Fan
Goldmember
2,286 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 18, 2011 12:25 |  #300

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13267944 (external link)
And then Canon can finally kill off EF-S... ;)

Why would they do that? Canon probably sells 10000 crop cameras for every Series 1.

www.ericmcferrin.smugm​ug.com (external link)

sponsored links

586,417 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.