Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 05:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Going to Hong Kong. Thinking about buying 70-200 2.8 IS II

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 18, 2011 14:52 |  #16

I think he'll hold on to it to see if it still has a place in his bag.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

sponsored links
Ricku
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2011 15:08 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Sirrith wrote in post #13268054 (external link)
Give Echo a call, they'll tell you the price if you ask for it, and ask for Mr Yip, he speaks English.

Thanks. I'll do that!

ni$mo350 wrote in post #13268613 (external link)
Nice to see you're joining me in the 2.8ii thread Ricky! I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I'm very happy with mine so far.

Well to be completely honest, you are one of the people who "inspired" me into doing this. :)

When I saw that you sold your 85 and 135 for the 70-200, I was like "omg! how can he do that?!". Then I started to follow the 70-200 thread, and was amazed by your's and all the pictures there. Since then, I have been reading lots of stuff about this lens, and opinions from owners.

So yeah I will probably pull the trigger on this one next week. The 135L will stay with me for now. I don't know about the Sigma, but it will probably end up on Ebay.

5D II 35L 135L 70-200 2.8L II Flickr (external link)

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 18, 2011 18:21 |  #18

The only HK based camera place I know is Digitalrev (the one that does Youtube videos). Not exactly sure if they have a retail store in HK though.

Overall, extreme envy for you going to my Cantonese motherland, haven't been there yet T_T Haha

Ricku
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 18, 2011 18:54 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

tsong wrote in post #13270028 (external link)
The only HK based camera place I know is Digitalrev (the one that does Youtube videos). Not exactly sure if they have a retail store in HK though.

Overall, extreme envy for you going to my Cantonese motherland, haven't been there yet T_T Haha

Would be cool if they had a shop! I do like their videos.

You should really go to Hong Kong on your next vacation, it is a very nice city / country. Almost perfect in every way, and extremely photogenetic.

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 19, 2011 07:36 |  #20

Ricku wrote in post #13268959 (external link)
Well to be completely honest, you are one of the people who "inspired" me into doing this. :)

When I saw that you sold your 85 and 135 for the 70-200, I was like "omg! how can he do that?!". Then I started to follow the 70-200 thread, and was amazed by your's and all the pictures there. Since then, I have been reading lots of stuff about this lens, and opinions from owners.

So yeah I will probably pull the trigger on this one next week. The 135L will stay with me for now. I don't know about the Sigma, but it will probably end up on Ebay.

Haha yea I loved the 85/135 but it was time for me to move on for the sake of practicality. I'm glad I did too because the model I shot a few nights ago in studio was 5'10 and 6'2 with heels and I had to shoot all the way back and at 70mm just to get enough room to get her in frame and have a little room up top and below. There's no way I could've done that with the 85 and would've been SOL. After my first full real shoot,I can definitely say I made the right choice.

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 19, 2011 07:38 |  #21

Ricku wrote in post #13270165 (external link)
Would be cool if they had a shop! I do like their videos.

You should really go to Hong Kong on your next vacation, it is a very nice city / country. Almost perfect in every way, and extremely photogenetic.

They don't have a brick & mortar store unfortunately. However, its probably for the best, as their prices are high compared to "local" shops, though I can't argue against their return policy and customer service.

Its interesting to see an "outsider"'s perspective! I've lived in Hong Kong all my life, and have never found it to be particularly photogenic, especially when compared to Europe and the USA :) I almost never take any pictures when I'm there, I do all my photography when I'm out of HK... Then again, maybe its just that HK doesn't really fit my style of photography.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 19, 2011 08:46 |  #22

I don't think you're the only one. A lot of time's it's the grass is greener rule. I'ma ctually pretty bored with the PNW and the US in general and wouldn't/couldn't shoot enought if I lived in Europe or Asia.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 19, 2011 08:57 |  #23

ni$mo350 wrote in post #13272990 (external link)
I don't think you're the only one. A lot of time's it's the grass is greener rule. I'ma ctually pretty bored with the PNW and the US in general and wouldn't/couldn't shoot enought if I lived in Europe or Asia.

The thing about the US is that its much bigger than HK so you can just drive a while to get different scenery :p

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 19, 2011 10:13 |  #24

Haha I can leave my parents house/neighborhood which is uppser class and drive up about 3 miles and I'm in Laos land and drive another a couple blocks and I'm in little Mexico. Lots of culture but it doesn't have nearly the history and intrigue that other places have. I rarely see a tombstone that reads pre 1900 for instance. That just goes back to what we like to shoot haha.

boingy
Goldmember
1,052 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 19, 2011 10:35 |  #25

I'm going to Hong Kong later next year so please keep us updated on what you get, your experiences and price comparison to online U.S. stores if possible.

Flickr (external link)
Blog (external link)

druu
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 19, 2011 15:16 |  #26

Would it be any cheaper in HK? I know that lenses are a little bit cheaper up in Shanghai, but I would be worried about warranty. If not, why not just pick it up from adorama/B&H, in the case that anything is wrong, a return would be much easier no?

Canon 7D | Canon 5D Mk II | 17-40L f/4L| 50L f/1.2L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 580EX II| Canon A-1| 50mm f/1.8 | 24mm f/2.8 | Tokina 35-200 F/3.5-4.5 | Panasonic GF3 | Panasonic 14mm f/2.5

ender78
466 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 19, 2011 18:16 |  #27

What does the 70-200 MK II 2.8 go for in HK?

john-in-japan
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 19, 2011 18:26 |  #28

Good question -
It would be great to see side-by-side comparisons with warranty implications for other countries. I have lived in japan for 20+ years. Weird than Canon lens sold outside of Japan are cheaper! Currency rates are a big factor.
Cheers,
John

JohnW
5D Mark II Dual Battery Grip, [COLOR=black], 200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, 24-70 f/2.8L 180Macro f/3.5L[COLOR=black], 85 II f/1.2L[COLOR=black], 17-40 f/4L, 50 f/1.4, 50 f/2.5 Compact Macro, MPE-65, 550EX, 400L f.2.8L IS, 580EXII, Canon RingFlash, RRS Perfect Portrait Pkg., Velbon with PH275 and Slider, bunch of filters, Canon 1.4X & Having Fun! http://kamogawa.smugmu​g.com/external link

Ricku
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 19, 2011 22:46 as a reply to  @ john-in-japan's post |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

The 70-200 F/2.8 IS II can be bought in Hong Kong for about 2200 USD. This is not alot cheaper than buying it in the US, but it is ALOT cheaper than in my home country (Sweden) or Bangkok where I live right now.

Sirrith wrote in post #13272713 (external link)
They don't have a brick & mortar store unfortunately. However, its probably for the best, as their prices are high compared to "local" shops, though I can't argue against their return policy and customer service.

Its interesting to see an "outsider"'s perspective! I've lived in Hong Kong all my life, and have never found it to be particularly photogenic, especially when compared to Europe and the USA :) I almost never take any pictures when I'm there, I do all my photography when I'm out of HK... Then again, maybe its just that HK doesn't really fit my style of photography.

I think it is like Chris said, with the "grass is greener rule". I met an american girl once who live in Lancaster, which is kinda close to NYC. I asked her how often she goes to NYC, but she told me that she has never even been there, and that she was not interested in NYC. My jaws dropped to the ground. To me NYC is one of the coolest and most amazing cities on this planet, (I would even live there a couple of years if I could), but to her it is just some "uninteresting" place that is close to her home.

So yeah.

ni$mo350 wrote in post #13272705 (external link)
Haha yea I loved the 85/135 but it was time for me to move on for the sake of practicality. I'm glad I did too because the model I shot a few nights ago in studio was 5'10 and 6'2 with heels and I had to shoot all the way back and at 70mm just to get enough room to get her in frame and have a little room up top and below. There's no way I could've done that with the 85 and would've been SOL. After my first full real shoot,I can definitely say I made the right choice.

Well I am glad you like the lens! :) My reason for getting the 70-200 is also kinda because of practicality. I am getting tired of switching lenses all the time when I'm traveling.

Ricku
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,295 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 20, 2011 02:55 as a reply to  @ Ricku's post |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

Hmm. What happens if I find out that there is something wrong with the lens, after I have gone home to Bangkok? Do I have to wait until my next trip, or can I send it to Canon's Hong Kong department by air mail? That should be possible, yes?

Edit: Never mind. I'd have to pay heavy tax / customs when the lens returns from HK.

sponsored links

11,864 views & 0 likes for this thread
Going to Hong Kong. Thinking about buying 70-200 2.8 IS II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.