Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 17 Oct 2011 (Monday) 22:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ironman World Championships

swbkrun
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 17, 2011 22:53 |  #1

Man hard to go through them! 1900 athlete's and sat at a water station on Ali'i Drive for a couple hours.... Loving the different shot's though. Hope you like!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

http://averymckenna.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link)
"When I stand before God @ the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
Erma Bombeck

sponsored links
ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 18, 2011 13:25 |  #2

Who were you shooting for?

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

tshred
127 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 18, 2011 14:28 as a reply to  @ ZXDrew's post |  #3

Great shots. That first one is really nice.

Tom C. | 7D | 7D MkII |Rokinon 8mm fisheye, 10-22, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L IS, 100-400L, Σ 30 1.4, 85 1.8, railroad tracks and cornfields
Image Editing OK

swbkrun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 18, 2011 16:28 |  #4

ZXDrew wrote in post #13268378 (external link)
Who were you shooting for?

Me, Myself, and I!!! I am trying to grow though. Just not sure how!?? Any suggestions I will take them :)!

tshred wrote in post #13268712 (external link)
Great shots. That first one is really nice.

Thanks!!

"When I stand before God @ the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and I could say, 'I used everything you gave me.'"
Erma Bombeck

ZXDrew
Goldmember
1,027 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 18, 2011 18:45 |  #5

I guess you're located in Hawaii?

PhotoWolfe.com (external link)
Facebook.com/PhotoWolfe (external link)
Gear / My flickr (external link)

swbkrun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 18, 2011 22:42 |  #6

ZXDrew wrote in post #13270126 (external link)
I guess you're located in Hawaii?

Actually from Seattle Washington. Went to watch the race.

Erma Bombeck

rluu
80 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 19, 2011 00:36 |  #7

Chrissie is my favorite Triathlete too bad Macca wasnt at the race. Great shots!

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,881 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 19, 2011 09:07 |  #8

my advice is to shoot less, think more. I'm not trying to be rough on ya but assuming #2 was posted as one of the better captures, it seems like you were just firing away. The exposure is off, the framing is poor, and there's no real emotion. Stop and ask yourself, what story I'm trying to tell with this image (the first image does a much better job of this and is a nice capture btw). Its not easy to do but you really need to be thinking before every press of the button. How's the light relative to my angle, what am I trying to capture with this frame, how is my positioning relative to where I expect the athlete to be when I shoot (which ties sometimes to lighting as you are waiting for them to hit a certain spot (xc is a great example of this). Point is, don't fire off 2000+ frames and then try to figure it out. Shoot 200 where you thought hard about each and every one then take a look at what you liked and didn't like.

Hope this helps.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

swbkrun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 19, 2011 11:28 |  #9

namasste wrote in post #13273098 (external link)
my advice is to shoot less, think more. I'm not trying to be rough on ya but assuming #2 was posted as one of the better captures, it seems like you were just firing away. The exposure is off, the framing is poor, and there's no real emotion. Stop and ask yourself, what story I'm trying to tell with this image (the first image does a much better job of this and is a nice capture btw). Its not easy to do but you really need to be thinking before every press of the button. How's the light relative to my angle, what am I trying to capture with this frame, how is my positioning relative to where I expect the athlete to be when I shoot (which ties sometimes to lighting as you are waiting for them to hit a certain spot (xc is a great example of this). Point is, don't fire off 2000+ frames and then try to figure it out. Shoot 200 where you thought hard about each and every one then take a look at what you liked and didn't like.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice... I guess I posted Chrissie because she is a rockstar (IMO). I know not the best shot, but wanted to share. I ended up sitting at one of the aid stations trying to capture the "true emotion" of the race, the heat, and the torture of the day... I guess when I shoot I try to avoid the "normal" shot... I am not great, and I am new, but trying to learn. Here are a bunch more from the aid station (external link) (about six miles in on the run). I am curious is all bad or on the right track??

HOSTED PHOTO

Erma Bombeck

namasste
Cream of the Crop
6,881 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 19, 2011 11:59 |  #10

swbkrun wrote in post #13273700 (external link)
Thanks for the advice... I guess I posted Chrissie because she is a rockstar (IMO). I know not the best shot, but wanted to share. I ended up sitting at one of the aid stations trying to capture the "true emotion" of the race, the heat, and the torture of the day... I guess when I shoot I try to avoid the "normal" shot... I am not great, and I am new, but trying to learn. Here are a bunch more from the aid station (external link) (about six miles in on the run). I am curious is all bad or on the right track??

let me start with saying that I love your signature. On the images, start by culling anything that isn't tack sharp. I don't care if they are rockstars or the President riding piggyback on an alien, if its not sharp, I'm just not interested. Okay, now that's out of the way. Second easy fix is cropping. Avoid so much dead space. Third is to shoot as if you are in the action. It gives much more impact to the image. A shot taken of the runner somewhat from the side makes me feel like a spectator, not a participant. The more you can actively draw the viewer into your image, the stronger it becomes (candids being an exception of course). Lastly, and this is the hardest, look for something compelling, something out of the ordinary. Everyone who's been to a race has seen runners drinking at a water station. What did you see that the average person there didn't see? See where I am going with this? It takes a lot of thinking and vigilance when shooting to constantly be looking for outlying things but, imo, that's what separates a great shooter from the GWC that's standing right next to him/her.

Scott Evans Photography (external link)
SportsShooterProfile (external link) l MaxPreps Profile (external link)
Gear List

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2011 12:36 as a reply to  @ namasste's post |  #11

I'm going to agree with Scott. I'm just not feeling #1. What's actually going on here? I assume it's a water station, because I've seen a few Ironman races (and your opening statement). #2 is better, but chopping off her elbow takes away from the image (common issue, btw). You have some decent shots on your gallery. I want to offer some insight to road races, so bear with me.

1. Watch your backgrounds. This is key. A cluttered background (water station) will ruin an image.
2. Shoot wide open. This will help get background separation and let the runner stand out. This is especially true when you have several runners together.
3. Look for interesting backgrounds. I shot a race in Cleveland and used the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a backdrop. This allowed me to stop down the aperture a bit and incorporate it into the scene, but still have the main focus be the runner.

Like Scott said, shoot from the front. Look for locations that will allow the runners to come to you and still have a clean background. Hope this helps a bit.

Scott,
I'll post my picture of the President riding piggyback on an alien later. It's on my "secret" computer.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

Biffbradford
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 19, 2011 12:58 |  #12

What I was going to add has pretty much been said.

I see where you're going with #1, but the focus is on the wrong thing. Toss. Sorry. ;)

President riding an alien? I'd like to see that one!

My pictures: John Wilke Photography (external link), Flikr (external link) , Facebook (external link), Fine Arts America (external link), Canon 1D MkII N, 1D MkIII, various Canon and Tokina lenses. :D

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2011 13:03 as a reply to  @ Biffbradford's post |  #13

Here's a sample from a marathon

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6042/6261395520_6dc6b5ec86_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/68850991@N03/6​261395520/  (external link)
Marathon Runner (external link) by 7M_Photo (external link), on Flickr

Kevin

swbkrun
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 19, 2011 16:58 as a reply to  @ asysin2leads's post |  #14

Thank you for all the advice.... I guess my point in shooting at the aid station was to capture something different from the "head on" shot. We were in Hawaii. I am sure there were plenty of nice backgrounds there to get the shot.

I wonder if I was thinking too much like an athlete rather than a photographer? Not sure. But I do appreciate all the feedback here. Going forward I will "THINK" more before I shoot!

Erma Bombeck

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2011 17:03 |  #15

swbkrun wrote in post #13275378 (external link)
Thank you for all the advice.... I guess my point in shooting at the aid station was to capture something different from the "head on" shot. We were in Hawaii. I am sure there were plenty of nice backgrounds there to get the shot.

I wonder if I was thinking too much like an athlete rather than a photographer? Not sure. But I do appreciate all the feedback here. Going forward I will "THINK" more before I shoot!

I would love to go to Hawaii and find some nice backdrops. I'm stuck in boring Ohio.

Kevin

sponsored links

2,951 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ironman World Championships
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.