Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 03 Oct 2011 (Monday) 11:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where to find a job?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 07, 2011 01:11 |  #16

emsjeep wrote in post #13216225 (external link)
Walked to school 10 miles, every day, uphill both ways, in the snow?

With no shoes I bet.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links
Majik ­ Imaje
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 07, 2011 04:18 |  #17

My total time in the Union was 32 years of good service.

My father unfortunately made up his mind for me when I was in the 3rd grade; Every weekend - working on a job. Every vacation working on a job. My whole childhood was spent working on a job (for dad)

No I didn't walk to work.. or any other of the presumptions you typed out. I should have known better to say anything so controversial.

So... I bet you are WRONG !!

"I'm passionate about photography. I got my first camera when I was a fetus" AND HOW DID THEY HAND THAT TO YOU ??

Practice .. .. .. ... .. makes .. ... .. "better":cool:
30 YEARS OF ARCTIC PHOTOGRAPHS (external link)

garypr
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 07, 2011 04:43 |  #18

sapearl wrote in post #13205306 (external link)
At one time that was also true in law enforcement, but it has now been accepted. Perhaps that applied to some construction projects in your area but I know that here in the Midwest digital is widely used.

I've been working with one of the construction managers photographing the largest bridge project in Ohio and we both use digital:

http://pearlphoto.blog​spot.com …at-construction-site.html (external link)

I do agree that construction sites can make fascinating photography, but be careful about work rules. I am not allowed on site without a hard hat, glasses, safety vest, and accompanied supervision by an employee.

I don't wan't to sound too ignorant, but thinking of the construction work you are doing is that a commission job or are you covering it for your own project. I'm just thinking how I can make some more money from photography. I've seen your blog very interesting. :)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 07, 2011 05:29 |  #19

garypr wrote in post #13216566 (external link)
I don't wan't to sound too ignorant, but thinking of the construction work you are doing is that a commission job or are you covering it for your own project. I'm just thinking how I can make some more money from photography. I've seen your blog very interesting. :)

Thanks for checking out my blog - regarding the construction job, I'm covering that for my own portfolio but the project manager is a paid employee of the company. She writes their PR and also documents the progress.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

Majik ­ Imaje
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 07, 2011 06:34 |  #20

Rule #1. Always let your customers purchase your new equipment for you.
During the late 70's. I took one picture of a crane on nuclear power plant @ Hanford Washingtion WPPSS. The name of that famous crane was Big Blue built by Lampson. this crane was 3 city blocks long. It could pick up 1000 tons and 'walk' anyplace with the load. Two million pounds of huge concrete slabs for counter weights. I took one photograph. Sold copies on the job site for 3 bux each. (Home processed 8x10 color). I went to work with 100 copies every day - they were all sold out by morning coffee break. This went on daily for 3 1/2 months. That one photograph made over $12,000.

If you "follow" the crowd. You will more than likely accomplish the exact same results. If you learn how to think "different" there is a whole world of possibilities that exist for you to turn your hobby or what ever you want to call it into a very good paying JOB!

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 07, 2011 08:47 |  #21

Majik Imaje wrote in post #13216732 (external link)
Rule #1. Always let your customers purchase your new equipment for you.
During the late 70's. I took one picture of a crane on nuclear power plant @ Hanford Washingtion WPPSS. The name of that famous crane was Big Blue built by Lampson. this crane was 3 city blocks long. It could pick up 1000 tons and 'walk' anyplace with the load. Two million pounds of huge concrete slabs for counter weights. I took one photograph. Sold copies on the job site for 3 bux each. (Home processed 8x10 color). I went to work with 100 copies every day - they were all sold out by morning coffee break. This went on daily for 3 1/2 months. That one photograph made over $12,000.

If you "follow" the crowd. You will more than likely accomplish the exact same results. If you learn how to think "different" there is a whole world of possibilities that exist for you to turn your hobby or what ever you want to call it into a very good paying JOB!

Terrific earnings Majik - shows some great entrepeneurial hard work.... you made the most of a nice job situation. Had you been hired by the construction company to be the official project photographer?

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

Majik ­ Imaje
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 07, 2011 14:25 |  #22

sapearl wrote in post #13217090 (external link)
Terrific earnings Majik - shows some great entrepeneurial hard work.... you made the most of a nice job situation. Had you been hired by the construction company to be the official project photographer?

Heck no!! I had 5 people help me - sneak my Mamiya RB67 onto the job site. Each person carried one portion of the camera in their metal lunch box.

I was the Kodak Kid !! I painted a huge gang box, one end of it all nice for Kodaks' 100th anniversary. I was creating crew portraits. The supervisors all looked the other way. Because I gave them all photos for free.

I was a foreman for the electricians maintenance crew.

Crane operator lifted me 400 feet into the air to grab a shot of the inside of the reactor as it was being built.

I sure wish I had some of those old images, but alas, I've moved around way too much and every time I move we always loose something.

As I said before; and I am going to say this again. If you follow the crowd, you will more than likely experience the same results.

Learn how to practice (thinking different). DO NOT BE AFRAID; to give something away for free. Many times that simple act has led to very well paying JOBS!!

603media
71 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 07, 2011 14:47 |  #23

Majik Imaje wrote in post #13218391 (external link)
Heck no!! I had 5 people help me - sneak my Mamiya RB67 onto the job site. Each person carried one portion of the camera in their metal lunch box.

Suddenly, THIS enters my mind....

"I got it one piece at a time....And it didn't cost me a dime. You'll know it's me when I come through your town...."

:cool:

Our Blog (external link)
Join us on Facebook! (external link)

garypr
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 08, 2011 05:56 |  #24

sapearl wrote in post #13216644 (external link)
Thanks for checking out my blog - regarding the construction job, I'm covering that for my own portfolio but the project manager is a paid employee of the company. She writes their PR and also documents the progress.

Thanks for that info, I like the idea of covering projects for the historical value as well, the images may mean alot more to people in the future then they do at the time.:)

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
16,343 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 10, 2011 07:09 |  #25

garypr wrote in post #13220729 (external link)
Thanks for that info, I like the idea of covering projects for the historical value as well, the images may mean alot more to people in the future then they do at the time.:)

You're very welcome garypr :D - not only that, but it gets your work out there, in the public eye, on the web, people see you are a working photog and word gets around. It helps you network visually, socially, and in the working world. Very often one thing leads to another and that's how job leads are found or made.

GEAR LIST

garypr
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 18, 2011 01:32 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #26

Thanks sapearl, I apprieciate the advice. yes i see how it would be a good way to make contacts. You have got to be seen to be noticed. BTW I didn't intend to wait a week before replying...:)

golfecho
(I will regret that)
2,088 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 18, 2011 07:27 |  #27

emsjeep wrote in post #13202231 (external link)
He, yeah, I use this screen name all over the place, but I generally don't take responsibility for the transgressions of my alternate personalities.

bw!

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 19, 2011 08:53 |  #28

Majik Imaje wrote in post #13204968 (external link)
Digital images are not allowed in construction photography to document progress reports. That used to be the norm on all projects I have worked on. That is the only instance I know of where film has to be used.

Just what year was that in?! :D Might be one company's or one superintendent's choice only.

Majik ­ Imaje
292 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 19, 2011 09:06 |  #29

HappySnapper90 wrote in post #13273026 (external link)
Just what year was that in?! :D Might be one company's or one superintendent's choice only.

Um ? year ?? 1999 - Air port new runway project. State Inspectors were adamant. FILM ONLY. Federal Money!!

emsjeep
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 19, 2011 12:25 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

I asked a local mid-level shooter who apparently mostly abandoned their photo career if they would like to shoot together sometime and got offered a rate for lessons...

sponsored links

5,245 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to find a job?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.