Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 30 Mar 2011 (Wednesday) 17:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What would you like to see improved on the 5d Mk3?

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 21, 2011 01:06 |  #166

bw!

alt4852 wrote in post #13136263 (external link)
better yet, they should make six versions of the 5D3 to satisfy people's specific preferences:

5D3ST: 32MP version for studio photographers who want more resolution
5D3SP: 1-series autofocus version for sports photographers
5D3VD: the only version with video functions
5D3LL: low light version that focuses on extremely high ISO capabilities
5D3MF: version without any autofocus for those who only use manual focus lenses
5D3TX: a version that does your taxes for you

or.. they could just make a well-rounded camera instead of trying to cater to the whims of people who three years later are still struggling with the fact that the inclusion of video has not handicapped the 5D2's ability to serve as a phenomenal still frame camera.

sponsored links
bengtenyman
107 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 19, 2011 18:17 |  #167

Now that the Canon 1DX is out of the bag we have new fuel to speculate about the void between the new 1DX and the aging D5M2.
The 1DX looks like a super solid performer for journalists and sports photographers. The specs about low light, low noise, speed and dynamic focus in a rugged, weatherproof body look fantastic. Of course it comes with an equally solid price tag. With its 18MP the 1DX surprises some people but also tells the story that Canon has learned from Nikon's experiences when they transitioned from the 12 MP D3 to the 24 MP D3X. The lesson is clear: Pixels alone do not do the job. Instead Canon has carefully placed the 1DX on a solid platform of combined peak technology that will probably be hard to beat for a while.
If you have used your 5DM2 to submit photos to for example iStock you have also learned that high resolution at the cost of high noise is not a viable solution.

So what should the 5DM3 look like ?
A scaled down 1DX of course !
The areas that could be compromised and still produce a top of the line enthusiast camera are:

Save on vertical grip.
Save on ruggedness and weather seals.
Offer a speed of 6 pps instead of 14 pps and save on one Digic5+ processor.
Simplify the dynamic focus and color follow focus without compromising static focus.
Stick with the 18 MP sensor.
Maintain the combination of high ISO and low noise.
Stick with the optional in camera GPS.
Stick with the multiple exposure feature.

Right there you have a 5DM3 at half the cost of a 1DX but 90% of the value for enthusiast use.

How about a high resolution camera for Stock, Fashion and Landscape photography ?
Maybe it will have to remain the domain of the medium format cameras. After all, to increase the resolution of a given size sensor you have to reduce the size of the pixels, and when you do it seems you get more noise.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,893 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 19, 2011 20:57 as a reply to  @ bengtenyman's post |  #168

So what should the 5DM3 look like ?
A scaled down 1DX of course !
The areas that could be compromised and still produce a top of the line enthusiast camera are:

Save on vertical grip.
Save on ruggedness and weather seals.
Offer a speed of 6 pps instead of 14 pps and save on one Digic5+ processor.
Simplify the dynamic focus and color follow focus without compromising static focus.
Stick with the 18 MP sensor.
Maintain the combination of high ISO and low noise.
Stick with the optional in camera GPS.
Stick with the multiple exposure feature.

Right there you have a 5DM3 at half the cost of a 1DX but 90% of the value for enthusiast use.

That's already the 7D.

kent ­ andersen
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 20, 2011 01:55 |  #169

That 5dmkiii will definently be a 7D in a 5d body. With one difference, it will have more video features. Wich could mean that there is a 60D screen on it...

I would also guess that you will find LAN access on it, to make it possible to transfer more videos quicker.

Living in Austria, I am so glad that there is stuff like Gimp out there...
I am a happy giver, so if you find any misspelling in my text, you can keep them... :)
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/41388512@N05/ (external link)

bengtenyman
107 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 20, 2011 04:46 |  #170

RDKirk wrote in post #13276479 (external link)
That's already the 7D.

The similarity ends at the number of pixels. The big difference is that the 5D would have a full size sensor, 4 stops better low light performance and vastly lower noise through the entire ISO range. Plus it would share many of the new goodies of the 1DX.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,893 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Oct 20, 2011 05:55 |  #171

bengtenyman wrote in post #13277965 (external link)
The similarity ends at the number of pixels. The big difference is that the 5D would have a full size sensor, 4 stops better low light performance and vastly lower noise through the entire ISO range. Plus it would share many of the new goodies of the 1DX.

That would be a 1DsX...how much did you want to spend on it?

bengtenyman
107 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 20, 2011 15:12 |  #172

I have ordered a 1DX and I would like to upgrade our two 5D for better low light performance and less noise. Canon is clearly on the right track here so it's only a matter of time, be it a 3D... or 5D... something.

bengtenyman
107 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 21, 2011 04:35 |  #173

I hope that the 5D Mark III incorporates the multiple exposure introduced in the 1DX.

It has four executable options: Additive, Average, Bright and Dark. Additive and Average are straight forward and self-explanatory. The Bright and the Dark are clever features offering the possibility to capture details otherwise available only through separate exposures and images post-processed in HDR.
Let's take a typical problem exposure: An abandoned brewery interior with the copper fermentation tank in perfect exposure, the clouds above the missing roof are washed out and the sign on the floor in front of the tank is in dark and noisy shade.
Now choose ME Bright and re-shoot the scene for proper exposure of the wispy clouds in the sky.
Then choose ME Dark and re-shoot the scene again for desired exposure of the sign on the floor; "Coors since 1873" in faded Kodacolor. You can review the result after each exposure and delete the last one if you don't like it. You can accumulate up to nine exposures in the same image.
No, this is not conventional HDR, it is better than HDR, because you can still create separate images for later HDR. But I doubt that you ever will with this capability right in the camera.

Ja, ja, I can already hear you old cranks objecting to anything and everything new or exciting.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 21, 2011 10:00 |  #174

bengtenyman wrote in post #13283396 (external link)
I hope that the 5D Mark III incorporates the multiple exposure introduced in the 1DX.

It has four executable options: Additive, Average, Bright and Dark. Additive and Average are straight forward and self-explanatory. The Bright and the Dark are clever features offering the possibility to capture details otherwise available only through separate exposures and images post-processed in HDR.
Let's take a typical problem exposure: An abandoned brewery interior with the copper fermentation tank in perfect exposure, the clouds above the missing roof are washed out and the sign on the floor in front of the tank is in dark and noisy shade.
Now choose ME Bright and re-shoot the scene for proper exposure of the wispy clouds in the sky.
Then choose ME Dark and re-shoot the scene again for desired exposure of the sign on the floor; "Coors since 1873" in faded Kodacolor. You can review the result after each exposure and delete the last one if you don't like it. You can accumulate up to nine exposures in the same image.
No, this is not conventional HDR, it is better than HDR, because you can still create separate images for later HDR. But I doubt that you ever will with this capability right in the camera.

Ja, ja, I can already hear you old cranks objecting to anything and everything new or exciting. Don't bother.

you're basically advocating a flavor of in-camera post processing. you can blend separate exposures into an image with existing software on your computer. i could have swore someone around here was staunchly against the idea of blending functions into single devices..

bengtenyman wrote in post #13098008 (external link)
If you don't think they have to compromise to make it do both, you simply don't understand product development.

it seems that resisting video capability development is logical, but resisting integrated post processing makes you an old crank that objects to all things new and exciting.

PS: have fun with your video-capable 1DX when it comes in! it looks like an amazing camera. ;)

5D4 | Z21 | 35L2 | 50L | 85L2 | 135L

bengtenyman
107 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 21, 2011 13:02 |  #175

alt4852 wrote in post #13284262 (external link)
you're basically advocating a flavor of in-camera post processing.

I am describing the multiple exposure feature available in the new Canon 1DX.
I hope they put the same feature into Canon 5D mark III.

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,567 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 21, 2011 13:10 |  #176

bengtenyman wrote in post #13277965 (external link)

Ha Ha Ha, FOUR stops? You been brewin' some good moonshine?

Anyway, I still think the 5Dmk3 will have about 30MP, 7D AF, 4-5 fps and remain gripless. I expect the typical 1.5 stops ISO advantage as FF and APS-C sensors progress at the same rate.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
60D | ELPH 330 | iPhone 5s

bengtenyman
107 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 21, 2011 13:44 |  #177

tkbslc wrote in post #13285175 (external link)
Ha Ha Ha, FOUR stops?

It's actually closer to three stops, but you need to read up on the new Canon 1DX. It tells the story about how Canon is thinking. I believe the same kind of thinking will be driving the new generation 5D.
I would welcome a high resolution Canon camera. The problem is that high pixel counts in relatively small sensors still come with low ISO or high noise. Both Canon and Nikon have learned this the hard way.
If, today, Canon brings out a mid level camera above 24 MP it would be to offer pixel prestige to people who never look critically at their own pictures.

P.S. If you are happy with the noise performance of your 5DM2, Canon could probably equal that in a 30 MP camera using Digic5+ noise processing. However, I think that noise level is entirely unacceptable. And apparently so felt Canon when it came to the new 1DX.

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 21, 2011 14:09 |  #178

bengtenyman wrote in post #13285357 (external link)
P.S. If you are happy with the noise performance of your 5DM2, Canon could probably equal that in a 30 MP camera using Digic5+ noise processing. However, I think that noise level is entirely unacceptable. And apparently so felt Canon when it came to the new 1DX.

i'm going to take the liberty of assuming that you're relatively new to digital cameras. despite being three years old now, the 5D2 still holds it's own pretty well against the other high ISO performers. i think "entirely unacceptable" is a bit strong, considering my clean ISO6400 files are one of the reasons why i use these cameras.

Canon upgrades the high ISO performance on these cameras every generation. by your logic, the company thinks every camera has entirely unacceptable noise performance. there's a difference between normal sensor technology and processing progress, and product flaws.

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,738 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 21, 2011 14:12 |  #179

bengtenyman wrote in post #13285144 (external link)
I am describing the multiple exposure feature available in the new Canon 1DX.
I hope they put the same feature into Canon 5D mark III.

I had read articles some time ago stating that one of the major areas of improvement in digital cameras was expected to be in High Dynamic Range capabilities. That is exactly what they have done in the 1DX -- but they don't call in 'In Camera HDR' because everyone hates HDR. :)

I am not a fan of Monkey Puke.. but when done right (IMHO, so you are barely, if at all, aware that it is HDR), HDR produces amazing results. It will be interesting to see what the 1DX does here and I agree, this would be a great feature to push down to the 5D3.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

alt4852
Goldmember
3,419 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 21, 2011 14:27 |  #180

hairy_moth wrote in post #13285518 (external link)
I am not a fan of Monkey Puke.. but

best. transition phrase. ever.

sponsored links

43,167 views & 0 likes for this thread
What would you like to see improved on the 5d Mk3?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.