Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Oct 2011 (Monday) 09:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why stick to Canon at the moment?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 18, 2011 00:05 |  #31

digital paradise wrote in post #13265248 (external link)
A frenzy has been stirred up here as well.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1105116

Yup, and if you read through the thread you will see that slowly, some reality is sinking in! It's the "Press Release" that is bogus.

digital paradise wrote in post #13265262 (external link)
This is from Canon. Fifth paragraph.

http://www.canon.com …18e.html?WT.mc_​id=C126149 (external link)

Yup, it wasn't an official "announcement", they only dropped a name, with no actual facts.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links
Methodical
Cream of the Crop
7,847 posts
Gallery: 235 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 18, 2011 00:22 |  #32

Ask Nicksan (think that's right). He switch to Nikon and now back to Canon. He can give you a more hands on experience.

Gear
MethodicalImages (external link)
Flickr (external link)
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic"

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 18, 2011 03:30 as a reply to  @ Methodical's post |  #33

I would be interested to see the OP's comments on the new 1DX. Still seriously considering going to the other side.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 18, 2011 03:33 |  #34

ssim wrote in post #13266116 (external link)
I would be interested to see the OP's comments on the new 1DX. Still seriously considering going to the other side.

I'm looking to the 5D3 announcement!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 18, 2011 11:03 |  #35

tonylong wrote in post #13265349 (external link)
Yup, and if you read through the thread you will see that slowly, some reality is sinking in! It's the "Press Release" that is bogus.

Yup, it wasn't an official "announcement", they only dropped a name, with no actual facts.

dpreview - Canon EOS-1D X professional DSLR announcement and overview (external link)

Tom

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 18, 2011 12:10 |  #36

tonylong wrote in post #13266124 (external link)
I'm looking to the 5D3 announcement!

My guess is 5D3 28 MP, 1Ds3 replacement 40± MP.

taxsux
392 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 20, 2011 09:05 |  #37

85mm F1.2 L

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 20, 2011 09:44 |  #38

$10,000 in lenses.

Gear List

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 20, 2011 09:55 |  #39

Why not?
If you want to go, just go. The forum won't shut down because you're not here and Canon won't go broke just because you jumped ship.
Whatever you do won't affect me, same as what I do won't affect you - and I really don't care what you do and you probably really don't care what I do.

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

n0w0rries
320 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 20, 2011 10:08 |  #40

It seems silly that people who say "who cares about WB I shoot RAW and fix it in post"
That's just more work, no matter how you look at it. What you have is a work-around.

I was shooting at the Long Beach Grand Prix and a guy came up to me with a Nikon, asking me how to switch it to "rapid fire". I'm very good at figuring electronics out, but after spending a few minutes playing around with the switches and menus I couldn't find it anywhere. It wasn't intuitive to me. But then again neither was Photoshop. But once you sit down and learn Photoshop you can work pretty fast. I'm guessing the Nikons may be like that?

Just remember that competition is good. When I got serious into photography, Canon had just rocked the world with it's HD video in their DSLRs. So Nikon caught up, then passed Canon. If you've got the money you can go back and forth to always have the best, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Canon 5D mk II | 430EXII | 580EXII | 85 1.8 | 16-35 2.8L | 24-105 4L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 2X III

killeraxemannic
226 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 20, 2011 12:06 |  #41

Well I know I am new to the forums and I know that lots of you have much more experience than me but here is my 2C

Got a Nikon point and shoot and loved the features but hated the pictures. Ended up having to take it back because of the lag between photos....

Friend got a D5100 recently and we decided to go out for a day and take photos... We were both taking shots at similar apertures, iso's and shutter speeds because I was showing him what to do.
After we looked at our photos at home, my pictures from my t1i were consistently better than his. Sharper, better colors etc.

I know that's not much but those 2 experiences are why I will be sticking to Canon for quite a while.

Cameras: Canon EOS 60D, PowerShot Elph 330HS
Lenses: Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, Canon 50mm 1.8 II, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,895 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2011 12:09 |  #42

philwillmedia wrote in post #13278972 (external link)
Why not?
If you want to go, just go. The forum won't shut down because you're not here and Canon won't go broke just because you jumped ship.
Whatever you do won't affect me, same as what I do won't affect you - and I really don't care what you do and you probably really don't care what I do.

Are you having a bad day? If you don't care what he does, why respond?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 20, 2011 12:23 |  #43

gdourado07 wrote in post #13261132 (external link)
From what I've read:
- Nikon bodies have a more reliable white balance under artificial light than Canon.

I found it to be no big deal either way.

- Nikon 3D color Matrix Metering is more advanced and more accurate than Canon's evaluative metering system.

This may be true. Still, it's all about knowing your camera's metering system and its tendencies. Once you do, then it's not a big deal.

- Nikon AF system is superior to Canon system.

Depends on which camera you are talking about. The 1D series is on-par, if not better. Keep in mind the more accurate crosstype points on the Nikons are bunched up in the middle.

- Nikon has a more modern lens line-up in most regards, being prime lenses, wide zooms, general zooms.

The only Nikon lens that I've used that I can say that was markedly better was the 24-70G. It's more pricey, but it's definitely the better lens compared to the 24-70L. Otherwise, I just don't see the difference.

- Nikon's Flash system is better and more reliable in metering than Canon.

Yes, indeed.

So... From this standpoint, what do you think about jump ship?
Cheers!

I had lots of fun shooting Nikon during the one year I jumped. I came back because I wanted to try the 1D3 again, liked the Canon lens lineup better, and really missed the 135L. Ironically, I've since sold that camera because I needed 2 x 5D2's, mainly for the resolution and video. That's one thing that's lacking with the FF Nikon offerings, with the exception of the D3x. Resolution. Video is also half baked on the D3s.

2012 will indeed be an interesting year for fans of both camps. I don't have an allegiance to either camps. I'll go with what I feel will give me the best quality images and has the feature set that I need. (...and want of course!)

But right now, I'm pretty happy with Canon. Reading all these rumors about how the D800 is going to be a 36MP camera reinforces that. That would of course quickly sour depending on what Canon does with the 5D3. The 1Dx is of course very expensive and I just can't see me purchasing one considering ROI won't really be all that significant compared to what I shoot with right now.

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 20, 2011 13:05 |  #44

What's great about Nikon is that no one on any of the Nikon-centric Internet forums complains about Nikon products, so perfectly are they made.

Wait, that doesn't sound right, does it??

Is your current gear limiting your ability to produce excellent photographs? If not, then why switch?

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

edge100
Goldmember
1,920 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 20, 2011 13:06 |  #45

taxsux wrote in post #13278721 (external link)
85mm F1.2 L

This.

Street and editorial photography in Toronto, Canada (external link)
Mirrorless: Fujifilm X-Pro1
Film: Leica MP | Leica M2 | CV Nokton 35/1.4 | CV Nokton 40 f/1.4 | Leitz Summitar 50 f/2 | Canon 50 f/1.2 LTM | Mamiya 7 | Mamiya 80 f/4.0 | Mamiya 150 f/4.5 | Mamiya 43 f/4.5
How to get good colour from C-41 film scans (external link)

Digitizing film with a digital camera (external link)

sponsored links

6,307 views & 0 likes for this thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.