Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 20 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 10:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Shooting Football best position on the sidelines?

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2011 10:09 |  #1

First time posting in this forum and I got some good tips. I have been shooting a semipro team this summer and they made it into the championship.

SOooooo I the game is Sunday afternoon and I am renting a 100 to 400 L... I can go anywhere on the sidelines or end zone. Since I am getting the extra range, where would you recommend I stand on the sidelines?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 20, 2011 10:31 |  #2

Mix it up. I usually stay about 10-20 yards ahead of the line of scrimmage. But factor in the lighting and the backgrounds. For a small percentage of shots, stay at the LoS and you'll get some great handoffs and closeups of QB throws. Get low and capture the OL and DL.

Once they approach the red zone, then head for the endzone and get the scoring drive head on.

I assume this is a day game since you're shooting with a f/5.6 lens. So maybe 75% of the time keep the sun at your back. But then switch over to the other sideline and get some backlight shots... you'll get good rim lighting on the helmets and shoulders. Just make sure to bump up the exposure compensation so you're exposing for the faces in the shadows instead of the sunny sky.

For Sale: 1D, T1i, 800mm, 600mm

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s
LoCo-Photo.com (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2011 10:47 |  #3

Thanks Clarence !!! I appreciate the advice.. Yes this is a 3pm start..

LoS ?????

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 20, 2011 11:04 |  #4

scorpio_e wrote in post #13279210 (external link)
LoS ?????

LoS = Line of Scrimmage. Where the ball is placed at the start of the play.

3pm is a great start time. You'll have plenty of golden light. At high-noon, 1:00, 2:00, the shadows are too harsh and you get nothing but dark shadows inside the helmets. But from 3-6 you'll get nice directional light that you can keep at your back or behind the players for backlighting. Overcast skies are a good thing too.

5D3, 1D4, 7D, 600/4L, 200/1.8L, Sigmonster 300-800mm, 80-200/2.8L MDP, 28-70/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 12-24mm, (4) 550EXs, (4) WL strobes, PW MiniTT1/FlexTT5s/AC3/A​C9s

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 20, 2011 11:07 |  #5

scorpio_e wrote in post #13279036 (external link)
Since I am getting the extra range, where would you recommend I stand on the sidelines?

Football from the endline, ahead of the offense.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Focal Length: 403.0mm
Aperture: f/9.0
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Football from just behind the line of scrimmage.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focal Length: 178.0mm
Aperture: f/3.2
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto

Football from 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focal Length: 300.0mm
Aperture: f/5.6
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 5000
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Manual

It's easy to say the best location is downfield from the offense with the flow of the play heading toward you, because most of the action will be headed in your direction. Usually, that's the best spot on the sidelines. However, football is such an unpredictable game that a big play and peak action may happen anywhere, and there's no way to be in the best location every time.

The third image is an example of that unpredictability. The shooting location was around 15 yards behind the offensive line, with the play heading away from the camera location. In most cases, that would have been the wrong location. But, when a defensive back in white and blue stepped up and intercepted a pass, that wrong location turned out to be the right location to get a shot of the play, which was facing the camera location. That goes to emphasize that what seems to be the "best" location does not always work.

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2011 11:13 |  #6

THANK YOU Clarence and Dc Fan!!! .. This is VERY helpful !!! I truly appreciate the time it took you respond and post images too :)

I'll be sure to post some of my images after the game..

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2011 11:17 |  #7

I am shooting with a 7D. What focus zone would you recommend shooting with?

Great shots by the way:)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2011 11:32 |  #8

Also would you recommend shooting with two cameras? One with the 100 to 400 and the other one with maybe a 24 to 70?

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 20, 2011 12:04 |  #9

how is the lighting on the field? a f2.8 lens would be more helpful in football unless its during the daytime. also the 24-70 is not very wide on a 7D but would work just fine considering you dont really get too close to the players unless they are deep in the endzone after a touchdown. a 70-200 would be a pretty good choice if you can rent/get one.

shooting with 2 cameras is generally a good idea, there are no bad reasons to not have 2 cameras that i know of

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2011 12:50 |  #10

It's a 3 pm start so I should be fine. I do have a 70 to 200 2.8.. I also have a wide angle zoom I could have mounted to the other body. Does it make sense to use a wide angle.. On a 10mm you almost have to get hit by a player to fill the frame.*L*

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Oct 20, 2011 13:24 |  #11

I like to shoot from the endzones. Cleaner backgrounds, it's not as crowded, doesn't matter which side of the field the play goes too, and I don't have to keep moving down the sidelines.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 20, 2011 13:29 |  #12

scorpio_e wrote in post #13279458 (external link)
Also would you recommend shooting with two cameras? One with the 100 to 400 and the other one with maybe a 24 to 70?

Sure, but you'll use the 24-70 in the end zone only, and you'll have to be quick on the switch. That takes a bit of practice, to hold up the monopod while holding another camera.

Someone said 10-20 yds off the line of scrimmage, I would agree, but always get the team you are shooting running towards you. You do have an advantage with the 100-400 there, you can move 30-35 yds off and plan to use 400 to reach in until they get closer to you.

If you know how they run plays, and you may have some feel for that, move down towards the end zone if you think they might strike there.

Finally, shoot the celebrations after a good play, as they make for some of the best shots you can have.

Good luck, have fun, and watch for players coming out of bounds at you, because if you get hit, it might hurt!

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2011 15:42 |  #13

Thanks for the advice Sam :)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 20, 2011 15:44 |  #14

Do I need a monopod? and if I used a monopod should I be using the IS?

You guys have been a great help here:)

clarence
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 20, 2011 15:58 |  #15

No, you don't need a monopod for a 7D and a 100-400. Especially if you're going to try to juggle 2 cameras. And turn IS off. Since you'll have great 3pm light, you'll have no problem keeping shutter speeds at or above 1/1000". The 100-400 IS takes a while to spin up... it's most effective when your SS is <1/400"

sponsored links

2,866 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting Football best position on the sidelines?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.