Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Sep 2006 (Friday) 20:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 45th TPBM Random and Undulating Chat Thread with bonus Eggs

this thread is locked
Big ­ Apple ­ Photography
Wish I had a 5D Classic
4,148 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 20, 2011 12:28 |  #5116

Apparently he was found hiding in a hole the size of canon's 400mm l 2.8 IS II lens.... :lol:

Love POTN? Donate!
Feel like spending your money? Support POTN while doing that! Shop here! ;) (external link)TF IS BOORING...Undeserving of the TF's further attention, but sadly in need of a spell-check (external link)

sponsored links
short5
Woolbacca Manties are cool
43,154 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 20, 2011 12:28 |  #5117

misspix wrote in post #13279756 (external link)
*applauds 'safety first' approach* ;)

Well honestly it is my standard "safety third" approach but it is in there.

Do whats right HERE
~Take then of the bones of Adam and of the Calx, the same weight of each; and there are six of the Petral Stone and five of the Stone of Union~

Wish I had a 5D Classic
4,148 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 20, 2011 12:29 |  #5118

"safety fourth" here... Too many fun things in front of safety... :lol:

Love POTN? Donate!
Feel like spending your money? Support POTN while doing that! Shop here! ;) (external link)TF IS BOORING...Undeserving of the TF's further attention, but sadly in need of a spell-check (external link)

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Oct 20, 2011 12:33 |  #5119

short5 wrote in post #13279757 (external link)
On a more cheery note, Gadhafi has been caught and executed in Libya. Just a news blurb, no political commentary included, carry on.

Pity. Such a nice man.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

short5
Woolbacca Manties are cool
43,154 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Oct 20, 2011 12:33 |  #5120

Big Apple Photography wrote in post #13279769 (external link)
"safety fourth" here... Too many fun things in front of safety... :lol:

Don't make me post pictures of safety fourth adventures, not pretty. Safety third is a good margin of safety.

Do whats right HERE
~Take then of the bones of Adam and of the Calx, the same weight of each; and there are six of the Petral Stone and five of the Stone of Union~

Wish I had a 5D Classic
4,148 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 20, 2011 12:36 |  #5121

Here is my list

1. Fun
2.;3. Non disclosable
4. Safety (in a good day)
5. Photography (might go up in the ratings if there's a hot girl around :lol:)/
6. Family
(somewhere waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below) School.. :lol:

Love POTN? Donate!

Guineh
I've been wisdom free for about 10 years, now.
9,030 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 20, 2011 13:04 as a reply to  @ Big Apple Photography's post |  #5122

short5 wrote in post #13279763 (external link)
Well honestly it is my standard "safety third" approach but it is in there.

Safety?

Nahh...

(Says the one who's recently been playing with 30kv... Pro tip: Don't reach out and touch the pretty arc. It might hurt.)

No, I didn't do this. I was picking up a flyback transformer (high-voltage device used to make the picture tube work in a old-school CRT TV) and made contact with a pin that apparently had a smalll capacitor attached to it. I felt the shock up to my elbow. Thank God it didn't have the capacity to store too much energy. (The really, really big ones will blow your hand off)

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Albert Einstein
7D, 40D, Sigma 10-20 EX HSM, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 SP XR Di II, EF 50 F1.8, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Sigma 1.4x TC, Kenko Tubes, Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash
Flickr (external link) - Blog (external link)

Guineh
I've been wisdom free for about 10 years, now.
9,030 posts
Joined May 2006

Oct 20, 2011 13:05 |  #5123

short5 wrote in post #13279791 (external link)
Don't make me post pictures of safety fourth adventures, not pretty. Safety third is a good margin of safety.

oooh... Oooh! Share, share!

:D

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Albert Einstein
7D, 40D, Sigma 10-20 EX HSM, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 SP XR Di II, EF 50 F1.8, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Sigma 1.4x TC, Kenko Tubes, Sigma EF-500 DG ST Flash
Flickr (external link) - Blog (external link)

BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 20, 2011 13:14 as a reply to  @ Big Apple Photography's post |  #5124

short5 wrote in post #13279731 (external link)
Yes, but for the young and impressionable reading this, keep it mind it will cause serious freeze burns as it comes out of the tank if it is not regulated and will cause loss of consciousness. If said tank is still flowing when you lose consciousness you may die from breathing too much. I have had the joy of playing with big nitrous tanks before and seen what could have been really ugly fatal accidents. Also the nitrous used in cars as a fuel is not safe for breathing as far as I know.

Yes, I should have qualified with a safety warning. Plus, with medical use it is usually not give full strength either. It is basically a form of highly concentrated oxygen that itself will not burn, but aids in flammable substances burning way better and hotter.

Many, many years ago a friend had a bottle of the medical stuff, and curiosity found a bunch of us 'experimenting' with it. I can attest to the losing consciousness thing, but when everyone came too (only seconds later), without fails everyone had a big **** eating grin on their face.

No serious affect effects, except for a tendency for cross-dressing. :p

-JIM-

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 20, 2011 13:16 as a reply to  @ BearLeeAlive's post |  #5125

cfpackerfan wrote in post #13279658 (external link)
:lol: :lol: LOL.

This is one of my favorite clips, from one of my favorite movies. :lol:

http://movieclips.com …taxi-movie-nitrous-oxide/ (external link)

:lol: :lol: Never saw that movie, might have to look for it.

-JIM-

BearLeeAlive
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 20, 2011 13:18 |  #5126

Guineh wrote in post #13279908 (external link)
(Says the one who's recently been playing with 30kv... Pro tip: Don't reach out and touch the pretty arc. It might hurt.)

I have done live hands-on work on 240kV (phase-to-phase) before. Even though full safety procedures were strictly adhered too, it was still a bit exciting the first time doing it. :)

-JIM-

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Oct 20, 2011 13:28 |  #5127

I dive using Nitrox can't go as deep but give you longer bottom time ( that is not as rude as it sounds ... honest)

When my eldest son was fighting his way into the world they left us alone in the delivery room, just to calm my nerves I hit the gas & air pretty hard, so much so that when the midwife popped in for a quick check she told my wife to lay off the gas for a while as she would not feel the benefit of it using it as an air substitute. I have apologised many times since.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,626 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 20, 2011 13:29 |  #5128

BearLeeAlive wrote in post #13279995 (external link)
I have done live hands-on work on 240kV (phase-to-phase) before. Even though full safety procedures were strictly adhered too, it was still a bit exciting the first time doing it. :)

Fun stuff. The highest I've had to go and play with is 480kV systems. But I don't do too much other than some inspections and advise for upgrading with a team of people :D

SmugMug (external link)

Harm
I don't always post, but when I do, I drink Dos Equis....
48,626 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Oct 20, 2011 13:30 |  #5129

neil_r wrote in post #13280036 (external link)
When my eldest son was fighting his way into the world they left us alone in the delivery room, just to calm my nerves I hit the gas & air pretty hard, so much so that when the midwife popped in for a quick check she told my wife to lay off the gas for a while as she would not feel the benefit of it using it as an air substitute. I have apologised many times since.

:lol::lol::lol:

Is that what led to the hair loss?

SmugMug (external link)

Becky ­ N
"full of baloney"
23,060 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 20, 2011 13:30 as a reply to  @ BearLeeAlive's post |  #5130

short5 wrote in post #13276561 (external link)
Can you use the big Halloween pumpkins for pie?

You can, but they don't have much sweetness or flavor. Pie pumpkins are hybrid for sweetness and flavor. Though for pumpkin pie, the flavors really come from the spices, nutmeg, ginger, & cinnamonononon (did I stop on time?);)

BeckyWomen and Cats will do as they please. Men and dogs had better get used to it. ~ Robert Heinlein; Procrastinate now! Don't put it off.. ~Cat (CFPackerfan)

sponsored links

489,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 45th TPBM Random and Undulating Chat Thread with bonus Eggs
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.