Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 23:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

interesting photo on the NE Patriots facebook page...

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 18, 2011 23:16 |  #1

So, I just stumbled upon this photo...
Here is the link (external link)
I am curious why they would post this image? Welker is clearly out of focus, and yet nobody seems to care/notice...

Maybe it's just me, being a overly critical photographer, but it really bugs me when technically awful photos are posted on facebook, especially on an official page like the New England Patriots'.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sponsored links
goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 18, 2011 23:24 |  #2
bannedPermanent ban

Judging by the comments on the page, it seems most people don't even notice he's out of focus. Several posts say "cool shot". I suppose their facebook guy doesn't know either.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 18, 2011 23:26 |  #3

Maybe the 3,374 likes at this time says something.

Many do not care in any way about the quality of a photograph. It's all about the moment.

Yes, it's hard for photographers to understand this but it's the truth.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

jdnan
450 posts
Gallery: 93 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 19, 2011 06:28 |  #4

Cozmocha wrote in post #13271677 (external link)

Many do not care in any way about the quality of a photograph. It's all about the moment.

I think this is correct.

Jerry
Gear
Feedback
editing OK

Travelingman
39 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 19, 2011 06:36 |  #5

Considering that a majority of the people are using inexpensive point & shoot cameras and do not know how to use them properly or they are using the cameras on their phones. Now go figure.........

NewEnglandPhotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 19, 2011 07:26 |  #6

I also find it odd that the Patriots didn't have access to a better photo of this TD.. It was wes Wlker after all, and he was heading towards the end zone. The Patriots couldn't get a hold of any better (in focus) shots? lol. I guess they didn't want to pay getty for the rights...

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

iunlock
105 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 19, 2011 10:20 |  #7

Somebody missed a very good shot!

rdompor
671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2011 10:24 |  #8

Guys...it's facebook. It's not like this printed in SI or something. How many photos of yourselves do you have on facebook that are print worthy?

Ramon
ULTRAMONTAGNE (external link)
Website (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 19, 2011 10:36 |  #9

Looking at it differently than the standard shot - look at all of the other Patriots players in the background - they are in focus and are watching Welker in anticipation of the TD. Who is to say that the photographer who took it missed the focus they were going for?

Gear List

rdompor
671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 19, 2011 11:37 |  #10

Numenorean wrote in post #13273474 (external link)
Looking at it differently than the standard shot - look at all of the other Patriots players in the background - they are in focus and are watching Welker in anticipation of the TD. Who is to say that the photographer who took it missed the focus they were going for?

This is pushing it...

The viewer's eye immediately goes to the out of focus region where the play is happening, and it stays there with no visual clues to lead the eye toward the background. So it is not arguable that the photographer intentionally framed the image in this way. If this is in fact the case, the new topic of discussion would be about the poor framing rather than focus issues.

Ramon
ULTRAMONTAGNE (external link)
Website (external link)

Black ­ Mesa ­ Images
339 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 19, 2011 14:18 |  #11

That's the story I stick to. Realize that most people are of the mindset that a camera is a toy and the technical stuff about photography is just too hard for them. Those same people will use the fallback excuse of "it's just my ****ty phone camera" when they post some out of focus, out of alignment crap shot on the Internet. Okay, so some of us may be somewhat anal retentive about pics, but in my opinion people should spend the 5 minutes it takes to learn how to take a picture that is somewhat appealing.

Which brings me to where I'll derail the train a little bit. A few months ago, I ranted and raved on here about my local county fair. If you missed it, you can search for it but basically I had a case of butthurt over getting beat by crap shots. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, a local photography club started up and I decided to attend a meeting and will be going some more. The subject of my ranting and raving was at that meeting and they gave me a good laugh when they stated "I just turn the dial and take pictures and use the one I like the best" when the discussion turned to technical photography stuff. Yeah, that was good for a laugh or three, especially looking at their camera that costs probably double what my setup did.

As the meeting dragged on, I learned that most of the attendees are pretty much in the dark at this point about how to use their cameras. There are a lot of people out there that are in the same boat. It's my opinion that if we ever find ourselves in the position to help someone learn a little more about photography, we should do it. Most of us here came here to learn more about our hobby or profession and we should share our love and knowledge with others.

Now back to your regularly scheduled heckling of a crap football shot:mrgreen:

Instagram (external link)
Black Mesa Images on Facebook (external link)
Black Mesa Images Blog and Photography (external link)
Twitter (external link)

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2011 14:25 |  #12

The Gelgameks would object!
http://www.youtube.com …3AsclFP1w&featu​re=related (external link)

Photo quality, what's that? It is all free if it is online, right?

(that's a joke)

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

toadhunter911
439 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 19, 2011 19:34 |  #13

Where's that darned like button? :lol:

Craig
Gear List

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 20, 2011 17:06 |  #14

Sometimes its better to have a screwed up shot, and have the shot. I have some photos that aren't great, old ones that I always want to keep. It's not just about the quality of the photography sometimes.

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

NewEnglandPhotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 20, 2011 17:15 |  #15

Stump wrote in post #13281084 (external link)
It's not just about the quality of the photography sometimes.

It should be when photographing an NFL team... Thee are like a hundred photographers on the sidelines at these games, and the Patriots couldn't shell out $30 bucks to buy one from Getty that was IN focus? lol

sponsored links

3,774 views & 0 likes for this thread
interesting photo on the NE Patriots facebook page...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.