Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Oct 2011 (Friday) 04:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is it worth it at this point in time to pick up a 550D?

gdourado07
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 21, 2011 04:40 |  #1

Hello,

How are you?
After thinking briefly about buying a Nikon, I decided to slap myself in the face and just stick with Canon.
That being said, I was browsing an Online store and noticed a pretty good deal on a brand new 550D, body only.
My question is if it is a good move to spend the money now and buy the 550d to replace my old 350d as my small walk-around camera with the 28mm 1.8 or just wait for some moer news from Canon and just save the money.
My 350d still takes good pictures, but I know form a tech point, the 550d is worlds apart as far as metering, sensor, features, iso performance...

So, what are your thoughts?

Cheers!

Current gear:
Fuji X100S

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
5,881 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Oct 21, 2011 05:13 |  #2

It depends on whether or not you judge a camera by its ability to take pictures, such as these images generated by a 550d/T2i.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

By the old standard of viewing pictures from a camera and using those images to make a purchase decision, a 550d is worth buying.

SASman
199 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 21, 2011 05:29 |  #3

Very much worth it. I believe it's at a great Value vs Price position right now! It should be relevant for quite some time.

If you sell the 350D, you could put that money towards another lens which can make use of the larger 18mp sensor.

Gear: The cheapest things I can find! :D | My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​scribblesonfilm (external link)

frule
208 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 21, 2011 08:02 |  #4

Absolutely! It's a huge step up from the XT.

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 21, 2011 08:45 |  #5

I love my 550D, I've had it since last christmas and brought a 7D about a fortnight ago but I'm keeping the 550D for my macro shooting. The screen is brilliant for Liveview focusing and a very capable all round performer. I've used it for airshows, parties, macro, portraits and general walkaround snaps. Great camera, you wont be disappointed with the upgrade.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 21, 2011 08:48 as a reply to  @ frule's post |  #6

I bought a 7D and kept the T2i as well because it's such a good camera. The sensor and processor on the two are nearly the same (although the 7D has two of them for speed). If the lighting conditions are the same I can't tell the difference in photos between the two even in close-up portraiture at 100% crop.

I wouldn't expect any near-future upgrades on the rebel line that will be as significant as a change from the XT to the T2i. The T3i has the articulating screen which I don't really think is worth the extra money, but keep in mind that it will allow you to use the pop-up as a wireless E-TTL trigger for compatible flash units where the T2i does not which I personally would have been willing to pay for had that been a choice when I bought my T2i. If off-camera flash is in your future you may want to go with the T3i instead.

The next digic processor will come out on the 1DX in March so it will likely be a year or more before you see it in a rebel. It's possible the next rebel will hop up to 21MP, but I would worry about noise even more then. 18MP seems to be the ideal trade-off as the T2i, T3i, 60D and 7D as well as the new 1DX coming out in March are all 18MP (the latter a full frame). My guess is the next rebel will have more "software" capabilities like built in "HDR" and possibly some improvements in the fps. Possibly a higher ISO but that may be another rebel down the line.

So right now is definitely the right time to buy and the right camera to buy is the T2i or T3i depending on your desire for an articulated screen or pop-up wireless control.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

guitarfish
354 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 21, 2011 11:13 |  #7

T2i's are great cameras!

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 21, 2011 11:41 |  #8

Yes, that would be a good purchase. they're cheap now, pick one up and start enjoying it.

T2i4me
Goldmember
2,905 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 21, 2011 11:46 |  #9

Excellent value body which allows more $$$ for lenses! I have yet to maximize the potential of mine and until I feel it's holding me back no reason to pay more.

-- Eric --
5DC - T2i - 100-400 L IS - 70-200 F4 L - 17-40 L - EF 85 1.8 - EF-S 10-22 - EF-S 15-85 IS - EF-S 60 macro - 430EX II

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 21, 2011 16:28 |  #10

Gotta agree with kfreels, the next rebel is unlikely to have any significant upgrades over the current 550&600d with the exception of the DigicV processor. Get one and be happy :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

gokumhz
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 21, 2011 17:03 as a reply to  @ BrickR's post |  #11

I purchased an 1100D the beginning of summer, I'm happy with it, but wish it had a few more features like spot metering, and I think the higher 18MP would be better for me since when taking wildlife shots I crop allot, and figure with more MP the pictures would retain more detail when cropped.

My thoughts are, I could sell my 1100D body and grab a T2i for not much difference, or hold onto my camera and maybe look at a 7D by next summer, thoughts?

And yes, I would have loved to have gone with the Canon Loyalty program, but unfortunately, it's not offered in Canada, so at the time of purchase it was about $300 more for me to get the T2i, but now prices have come down quite a bit since the beginning of summer.

Thanks in advance

gdourado07
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 22, 2011 13:02 |  #12

Hi...

Thank you all for your thoughts and examples.
I know the 550d packs quite a high tech and capabilities on a small package with a good price...
My question is the timing...
With the 1Dx dream camera announced and the rumors of the successors of the 7d and 5dII growing by the day... Is it a good time to spend the money on a 550d?
Or should I wait for some news...
I know i wold like the features of a 550d as my "point & shoot" with the 28mm.... But I fear some great new theca might be around the corner...

Cheers!

Current gear:
Fuji X100S

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 22, 2011 14:17 as a reply to  @ gdourado07's post |  #13

As I said earlier, I doubt there is anything amazing in the rebel line coming soon. Nothing you'll miss I'm sure unless you think another year or so is "right around the corner". In that case you'll still be able to sell the T2i at a decent price.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Copper ­ NYC
395 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 22, 2011 19:19 as a reply to  @ kfreels's post |  #14

The clock never stops, never stops, never waits. We're growing old. It's getting late. Buy the T2i now and enjoy it.

40D Gripped, 50D, T2I Gripped, 5D Mark III Gripped, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS
EF 28 f/2.8 IS, EF 40 2.8 STM, EF 50 f/1.4 USM,
EF 85 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 24-105L f/4.0
EF 28-80 USM, the good one with metal mount and ring USM.
EF 28-80 USM V, EF 28-135 USM IS, EF 100-300 USM, EF 100-400L USM IS.
Rokinon 14 f/2.8

sponsored links

1,781 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is it worth it at this point in time to pick up a 550D?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.