Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Oct 2011 (Friday) 02:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have Z1 ball, need legs

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 07, 2011 22:23 |  #16

Fricks wrote in post #13219930 (external link)
I dont understand you question? Know how to use what?

Ooops. Nevermind, I get you mixed up with Peter who use Z1.
I thought that you use the Z1 head as well.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,039 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 07, 2011 22:34 |  #17

Azzure_7 wrote in post #13219962 (external link)
Ooops. Nevermind, I get you mixed up with Peter who use Z1.
I thought that you use the Z1 head as well.

no i got the markins Q20

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 08, 2011 10:45 |  #18

Azzure_7 wrote in post #13218738 (external link)
BTW, why is your head purple? Mine is black. Just thought yours looks cool.

Actually it has some kind of a red tinge I think. Not sure why. It works well though! ;)

I don't like the barrel distortion in that picture. That's the Nikkor 35/1.8 DX. Good job I don't shoot architecture...

~Peter

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 08, 2011 11:29 |  #19

Azzure_7 wrote in post #13219864 (external link)
mmm. . . .
I hate swapping gears. lol
It looks so handsome though. lol

You don't have problem with markins?
What lens you attaching?

I don't have problem with Z1 on 24mm and 85mm.
Only have problem with Z1 on 100-400 extended.
I have to tighten it real tight.

Yea, so do I! Thats why I research the heck out of anything and everything I buy and make sure I buy the best first off instead of planning to upgrade later. That being said I would have thought and have read that the Z1 is def one of the best out there to get. Personally I have never owned one and have only owned three Markins heads and have loved them all. I currently have the Q3T and the Q20. I have used both with up to 400mm lenses all the way down the 15mm fisheye and they have performed equally well for all. In fact the other day I took my 60D with a 400L attached, hit 10X LiveView on my 3541LS with Q20 outside with a light steady wind and enjoyed NO vibration! It would even recover from a leg hit very fast. Now THATS stability!

Now, if youre thinking the 3-series is a bit too heavy or overkill or just too much, you can DEF get a great setup with a 2-series and a Markins Q10! That is IMO the best balance for a single tripod setup between cost, weight, size and stability.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 08, 2011 11:30 |  #20

Fricks wrote in post #13219996 (external link)
no i got the markins Q20

Fricks! Love the avatar! He will be missed.

Keep thinking differently.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,039 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 08, 2011 11:58 |  #21

ben_r_ wrote in post #13221505 (external link)
Fricks! Love the avatar! He will be missed.

Keep thinking differently.

:cool:

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 10, 2011 06:38 as a reply to  @ Fricks's post |  #22

So Ben,
1. If I bought one with center column, I can just not use it right?
2. If I bought the 3531 LSV, di I need to get center plate or something since it comes with the bowl? I'm interested in this as along the way, I am going to shoot video.

flickr (external link)

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 10, 2011 11:44 |  #23

Azzure_7 wrote in post #13228522 (external link)
So Ben,
1. If I bought one with center column, I can just not use it right?
2. If I bought the 3531 LSV, di I need to get center plate or something since it comes with the bowl? I'm interested in this as along the way, I am going to shoot video.

Im not sure what the model numbers would be but this is how I did it: LINK (external link) LINK (external link)LINK (external link) LINK (external link)LINK (external link)

If you bought the GT3531LSV then you would need to get the base plate to mount a ballhead to it: LINK (external link) or just use the center column unit.

Russ61
265 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 10, 2011 14:21 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #24

Re your Z1 slipping, you undoubtedly have something adjusted incorrectly. I've used one for several years and find it EXCELLENT. In fact, I can set its tightness to be such that it will hold rock steady yet I can easily move the camera/lens WITHOUT adjusting the tightness. I recommend that you reread your instructions to ensure that the tension adjustment thumb dial is properly set and NOT inadvertently limiting your tightness.

Re tripods, I use a Gitzo GT3541XLS. Most of the time it functions akin to a 3530, ie I only use the 3 stouter legs extended, but some of the time (I do a lot of shooting in varied terrain, ie mountains) having extension on 1 or more legs is a godsend! I support earlier comments about NOT using a raised center column unless absolutely necessary, ie a wobbly monopod atop a too-short-tripod! The 3541XLS gives me any height I'd reasonably ever need, up to 6 ft 8"...which I've used! If the 100-400 is the longest lens you'll ever use, perhaps the GT2531 or 41 would suffice. The Systematic line has no center column (without specifically adding one) and a wider base (sturdier). The Mountaineers, Travelers, etc have center columns but again you should buy the height that meets the vast majority of your needs WITHOUT the center column being raised. I also own a GT1541 tripod for hiking with shorter, lighter gear. I'm seriously considering removing the center column permanently (packing it along just in case) as I find myself much more often splaying the tripod legs out for a low shot (with which the center column interferes) than a taller shot. I use a Markins Q3 on it.

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 13, 2011 06:37 |  #25

Russ61 wrote in post #13230353 (external link)
Re your Z1 slipping, you undoubtedly have something adjusted incorrectly. I've used one for several years and find it EXCELLENT. In fact, I can set its tightness to be such that it will hold rock steady yet I can easily move the camera/lens WITHOUT adjusting the tightness. I recommend that you reread your instructions to ensure that the tension adjustment thumb dial is properly set and NOT inadvertently limiting your tightness.

Re tripods, I use a Gitzo GT3541XLS. Most of the time it functions akin to a 3530, ie I only use the 3 stouter legs extended, but some of the time (I do a lot of shooting in varied terrain, ie mountains) having extension on 1 or more legs is a godsend! I support earlier comments about NOT using a raised center column unless absolutely necessary, ie a wobbly monopod atop a too-short-tripod! The 3541XLS gives me any height I'd reasonably ever need, up to 6 ft 8"...which I've used! If the 100-400 is the longest lens you'll ever use, perhaps the GT2531 or 41 would suffice. The Systematic line has no center column (without specifically adding one) and a wider base (sturdier). The Mountaineers, Travelers, etc have center columns but again you should buy the height that meets the vast majority of your needs WITHOUT the center column being raised. I also own a GT1541 tripod for hiking with shorter, lighter gear. I'm seriously considering removing the center column permanently (packing it along just in case) as I find myself much more often splaying the tripod legs out for a low shot (with which the center column interferes) than a taller shot. I use a Markins Q3 on it.

I will sure need to reread it.
Comparing the 2 series and 3 series.
Weight difference is only 1 lb.
Price seems close enough.
3541LS seems like a good compromise. If I don't want it to be too tall, I can just not extend the last legs. What do you all think?

Anyone has any comparable side by side image of 3 series with the traveller or 2 series?

flickr (external link)

Ouessant
741 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 13, 2011 09:27 |  #26

Azzure_7 wrote in post #13216409 (external link)
1. Lightweight and sturdy.
2. ease of use.
3. durability

+1 for Gitzo GT3541LS

François
flickr (external link)

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 13, 2011 10:06 |  #27

Azzure_7 wrote in post #13244505 (external link)
I will sure need to reread it.
Comparing the 2 series and 3 series.
Weight difference is only 1 lb.
Price seems close enough.
3541LS seems like a good compromise. If I don't want it to be too tall, I can just not extend the last legs. What do you all think?

Anyone has any comparable side by side image of 3 series with the traveller or 2 series?

I think thats a great tripod and thats why I bought it. I also do the same thing and leave the last section in otherwise the tripod is too tall for me and its more stable with it in as well.

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 15, 2011 23:11 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #28

wow. I missed the B&H discount. :(
It even beat my student's prices. . . :(

flickr (external link)

Ward ­ Benjamin
57 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Oct 16, 2011 21:28 as a reply to  @ Azzure_7's post |  #29

I have the B1 on my Gitzo 1228mk, it's a great combination! Got the B1 here and the legs off the bay..... I shoot a 50D gripped with my 70-200-2.8IS on this combo.

Canon, Gitzo, Arca Swiss, RRS, Custom made accessories.

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 21, 2011 20:53 as a reply to  @ Ward Benjamin's post |  #30

Thank you Ward!

I have been looking all around while saving for the 3541ls.
Along the way I found

http://www.ebay.com …3f0f368311#ht_7​015wt_1110 (external link)

^^^Ridiculuosly very close spec with the 3541 LS. 2 cm taller, about 250g heavier, $170 cheaper.

Another one I found is
http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tion_Carbon.htm​l/mode/edu (external link)

with student discount, I can get it at 380 shipped.
Quite a close spec with 3541LS.

Much taller. But I wonder what is the height w/o center column. With center column it's about 35cm taller, 5 cm longer when folded.

It's flip lock though. I have used flip lock and it's ok. I tried a friend's of mine benro's twist lock and I feel I haven't use it enough to be able to say that I like it. But so far, I like it just fine.
Does twist lock or flip lock more durable?

Plus I don't have to get safety plate. :)

Opinions?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

6,195 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have Z1 ball, need legs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.