Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 30 Sep 2011 (Friday) 00:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best water proof compact camera suggestions?

selvage
76 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Sep 30, 2011 00:45 |  #1

So I have decided that I need to get a waterproof point and shoot. I do a lot of activities outdoors, and I end up missing a lot of random photo opportunities.

It doesn't matter what brand it is but here are my requirements:

• waterproof! i should be able to drop it in the ocean/pool without it getting damaged
  • compact enough to fit into a jean pocket, preferably a shirt pocket
  • price..max price $400 but ideally less than $300
  • good image quality. as in on par with other small compacts

please help

Canon EOS 40D, 18-55 IS, 50 1.8|s95

sponsored links
Sikor7
417 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Sep 30, 2011 09:49 |  #2

A little bulky for a shirt pocket but built like a tank...

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …t_D10_Digital_C​amera.html (external link)

40D w grip
28-300 IS L - 24-105 IS [COLOR=red]L - 100-400 IS L
580 EX - 580 EX II - ST-E2
Nice Canon Back-Pack and some other stuff...
"I think I just stimulated the economy!!!"

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 30, 2011 09:53 |  #3

I've been looking for an waterproof/rugged camera too.

I have found Ricoh PX($250 at b and h), Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 ($300), and Olympus
Stylus Tough-8010 ($300). The Panasonic scored better than the Olympus with dpreview, and both have GPS receivers.

I am looking for one with manual controls, and as far as I can tell, the only waterproof/rugged camera with full manual controls is the Ricoh G700SE, but it's $900!

I am interested if anyone has found a better option (short of buying a camera + waterproof housing).

CaptainCanon
44 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 30, 2011 11:24 |  #4

Buy a 'regular' camera and get a waterproof case from DiCAPac, they are about $30. You can't really adjust any controls once it's 'bagged' but it's really great for basic operations. I used mine for 4 weeks in the Mexican jungle and cenotes without issue. If nothing else, it's also good for those situations (like the jungle) where everything gets wet anyway and you never know when it's just going to start pouring.

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Sep 30, 2011 11:44 |  #5

I just ordered a panasonic ts10 (should be here today) for my wife's birthday. She used an olypmus 790 SW for several years, and it broke when we were at the water park at Cedar point a few months ago. It was either the force of hitting the water coming down a big slide that broke the seal or she didn't have the compartment closed right. Up to then it was a fantastic performer.

It seems that Olympus has been on the decline as of late with their new products. Image quality is good, but the shooting speed and overall performance is dead slow, like 4 seconds from picture to picture w/o the flash, even on the 8010. I'm sure some of that is the preview mode, but my wife would never want that turned off.

I'm looking forward to the TS10. It's got faster performance than the Olympus and pretty much the same ratings in the water, temp, and drop zones. It gets good marks for images with its auto mode, which is all she needs. I liked the TS3, but it was out of my price range as I wanted to be below $200, and it basically just gives better water depth rating and a wider end of the lens (28 vs 35). Her old camera was 38 on the wide end so she won't notice.

I should be able to post a little more info on it after this weekend when she gets it. I didn't even consider using a waterproof case on a camera. The whole point of this camera is to be a little go anywhere deal that can easily fit in a pocket.

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Sep 30, 2011 19:56 |  #6

this is a tough one because none of the waterproof/rugged cameras are as good as their non-waterproof/rugged companions. So you have to be prepared to trade-off.

I finally went with the Panasonic TS2 after years with Olympus. The Panasonic was much faster to focus (and actually did focus accurately, something the Oly had heaps of trouble with) and a gazillion times faster to take the shot than the Oly. I would not buy another Olympus currently.

The flash on the TS2 is a pathetic joke and that's really stupid for an underwater camera, but that's its most serious downfall. Image quality is OK. Not as good as from my Canon SD1200, but OK.

I don't think I'd spring for the premium on the Panasonic TS3. The TS10 would be a contender in this race, I think, but I haven't personally been able to lay hands on one. I just lost (or had stolen) my TS2 so I very well may consider replacing it with the TS10 - I haven't had time to think/look again.

Canons D10 is a gem for photo quality, seriously above anything else out there, imho. But it's ugly and not small enough to fit in a pocket which makes it next to useless for you (and for me - I need something I can carry everywhere easily).

And forget manual controls, it doesn't exist until you go to a unit with a housing.

Kristin

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Sep 30, 2011 20:28 |  #7

If Kristin says it regarding underwater, it's golden, IMHO.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 01, 2011 04:22 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #8

kja wrote in post #13189345 (external link)
And forget manual controls, it doesn't exist until you go to a unit with a housing.

You're right, I just looked up the Ricoh G700SE specs on the official site and it only mentions a 'Program AE' mode. I assumed the b & h spec page was accurate. Apparetly not.

Thanks for the input kja. I think I'll go with the TS3.

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 03, 2011 02:12 |  #9

thanks, Jon :)

happy to help :)

Kristin

wendyc
Goldmember
1,392 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 17, 2011 15:49 as a reply to  @ kja's post |  #10

I just bought the TS3 for a trip to Vanuatu this weekend, looking forward to putting it through its paces.

Any hints and tips anyone?

www.wendycainphotograp​hy.com (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net …3235&posted=1#p​ost4633235

kja
Cream of the Crop
5,923 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 19, 2011 01:20 |  #11

Yeah, mess around with as much as possible before you go. I didn't find the Panasonic did all that crash hot just pointing and shooting, you have to muck about in the menus and choices. The more you play, the more you'll find the settings that work for you. This is a huge downside on these models imho. I've never had to waste so much time to get basic stuff to work properly - every other compact I've had works a treat right out of the box.

You'll have to get CLOSE for the flash underwater. Another silly design error on these - they are meant to be used in the water and the flash is piss weak.

If you are further than arm's length from your subject underwater, flick the flash off as it will help avoid backscatter/snow in your shots.

Set it for macro underwater.

have fun.

Kristin

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 19, 2011 08:59 as a reply to  @ kja's post |  #12

For good underwater pictures you need a camera that takes good pictures in low light ... or at high ISO values. From the pictures posted on this forum coming out from the S100, I think that it would be an excellent choices for underwater photography when you get the underwater housing.

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

Merlin_AZ
872 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 19, 2011 12:17 |  #13

We have a Panasonic TS10 that works great.

vallejoboy
49 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 22, 2011 10:50 |  #14

As far as image quality, as already mentioned a S95(or similar) in a waterproof case, cannot be beat. But when I was shopping for a waterproof camera I also considered the fact that it's a hassle putting a camera in a case just for underwater use because you have to remember to bring the case if you want to use it. As a result I went with the Panasonic TS3. It's even more enticing now especially since the prices has gone down significantly.

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 22, 2011 10:58 |  #15

vallejoboy wrote in post #13289375 (external link)
As far as image quality, as already mentioned a S95(or similar) in a waterproof case, cannot be beat. But when I was shopping for a waterproof camera I also considered the fact that it's a hassle putting a camera in a case just for underwater use because you have to remember to bring the case if you want to use it. As a result I went with the Panasonic TS3. It's even more enticing now especially since the prices has gone down significantly.

How do you like it?

sponsored links

4,089 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best water proof compact camera suggestions?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.