Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 19 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 11:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D3 and 1Ds4 predictions

pieq314
Goldmember
1,101 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Oct 19, 2011 11:48 |  #1

The 1Dx gives clear signal how Canon cameras will be like in the future. It also indicates that Canon is listening to users that the pixel war is over, and most users are happy with 18MP, but want high ISO performance instead. So here is my predictions:

5D3:

18MP, 5-6 fps (probably 5 fps), better AF system than it has now. In this way, the 5D3 will be the new king in ISO performance when it come out. The smaller pixel count also forces those who actually need more pixels to buy the more expensive 1Ds4 (do not feel sorry for those people. They are professionals and make enough more to justify the cost. See more below).

1Ds4:

It will have 36MP, 6 fps, 1Dx AF system.

Why I believe its pixel count would increase?

1. To compete with medium frame cameras. So those who were forced away from 5D3 to 1Ds4 are actually saving money, LOL.

2. The new generation of Canon lenses are all sharper than the last generation, with a 50% increase in price. For example, 200mm f/2.8 IS or 500mm f/4 IS. A camera with more pixels can better take advantage of the added sharpness.

One thing I am not sure is if the 1D series with 1.3 crop factor will continue to exist or not.

Canon 1D Mk III/5D2, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX, Canon 85/1.8, Canon 100/2.8 IS macro, Canon 135/2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Canon 500 f/4 IS

sponsored links
Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 22, 2011 11:08 |  #2

Canon are not releasing a 1Ds Mark IV (external link):

.... the EOS-1D X will be a high-speed multimedia juggernaut replacing both the EOS-1Ds Mark III and EOS-1D Mark IV models in Canon's lineup.

Maybe they'll release something else with high MP, but it's not going to be called a 1Ds.

As for the 5D3, I wonder if it'll have better ISO performance than the 1D X. Maybe Canon will make the 5d its high MP camera.

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010

Oct 22, 2011 12:03 |  #3

Fahad79 wrote in post #13289457 (external link)
Canon are not releasing a 1Ds Mark IV (external link):

Maybe they'll release something else with high MP, but it's not going to be called a 1Ds.

As for the 5D3, I wonder if it'll have better ISO performance than the 1D X. Maybe Canon will make the 5d its high MP camera.

The 5D Mark II basically had a similar sensor as the 1Ds at the time when it came out, so hopefully the next 5D will have a similar sensor as the 1D X.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

whitesell
361 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 22, 2011 12:33 as a reply to  @ Tony_Stark's post |  #4

Why are people still thinking there will be another successor to 1Ds MKIII? It's already been announced - the 1DX. Canon's press release was quite clear about where the 1DX stands in the lineup:

...replacing both the EOS-1Ds Mark III and EOS-1D Mark IV models in Canon’s lineup.

There won't be a 1Ds Mark IV. This is the replacement.

Regards,
Jim

Edmonton portrait photographer (external link)
Google Business Photos Edmonton (external link)
Gear list

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 22, 2011 23:53 |  #5

whitesell wrote in post #13289718 (external link)
Why are people still thinking there will be another successor to 1Ds MKIII? It's already been announced - the 1DX. Canon's press release was quite clear about where the 1DX stands in the lineup:

There won't be a 1Ds Mark IV. This is the replacement.

Regards,
Jim

People don't know how to read. ;)

uOpt
Goldmember
2,283 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 23, 2011 00:27 |  #6

I'm not optimistic that we'll get a low-noise 5D. However, things are looking up for giving the 5D a better autofocus. Now it doesn't have to stay away from the 1d3 segment anymore.

I predict a 5d3 with a more useful AF. Still lotsa pixels, probably more than 5d2. This is your "enough light in the studio" camera from now on.

I hope for a 7Dx with less pixels and low noise.

My imagine composition sucks. I need a heavier lens.

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 23, 2011 01:50 |  #7

As others said, Canon has made it clear there will be no 1ds4. unless they split the 5D line (unlikely) 5dIII will be their studio/landscape camera. It will host 28-36 MP, hopefuly the autofocus of 7D. will continue to shoot at less than 5 fps. will hopefully have the same per pixel noise which translates to less over all noise than 5d2, and slightly improved dynamic range with cleaner shadows at base ISO. Priced at 2700, it will do very well.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 23, 2011 01:55 |  #8

kevindar wrote in post #13292136 (external link)
As others said, Canon has made it clear there will be no 1ds4. unless they split the 5D line (unlikely) 5dIII will be their studio/landscape camera. It will host 28-36 MP, hopefuly the autofocus of 7D. will continue to shoot at less than 5 fps. will hopefully have the same per pixel noise which translates to less over all noise than 5d2, and slightly improved dynamic range with cleaner shadows at base ISO. Priced at 2700, it will do very well.

I hope so. The 1Ds III is excellent in recovering shadows at low ISOs compared to the current 5D II. If the 5D III is the next MP pusher with better DR, then I'm in. :)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 23, 2011 09:10 |  #9

f*uck the 7d af give me the 45 point af from the mark4! It wont compete with the 61 point and plays nice against nikons 51points.

Model Mayhem (external link)
Flickr (external link)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 23, 2011 09:12 |  #10

jdizzle wrote in post #13292148 (external link)
I hope so. The 1Ds III is excellent in recovering shadows at low ISOs compared to the current 5D II. If the 5D III is the next MP pusher with better DR, then I'm in. :)

Unfortunately I am starting to notice this more and more... I am starting to see banding in 1 stop over pushes... lame.

Flickr (external link)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 23, 2011 09:22 |  #11

J_TULLAR wrote in post #13292898 (external link)
Unfortunately I am starting to notice this more and more... I am starting to see banding in 1 stop over pushes... lame.

I see it too. I bought one for myself for gig work and it's there. The camera is great but, it's the shadow recovery that bugs me. :)

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 23, 2011 09:34 |  #12

jdizzle wrote in post #13292937 (external link)
I see it too. I bought one for myself for gig work and it's there. The camera is great but, it's the shadow recovery that bugs me. :)

yea, its gotta be from pushing the ISO on the sensor.

Flickr (external link)

kevindar
Cream of the Crop
5,050 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 23, 2011 11:01 |  #13

J_TULLAR wrote in post #13292893 (external link)
f*uck the 7d af give me the 45 point af from the mark4! It wont compete with the 61 point and plays nice against nikons 51points.

for the intended market (general shooting/wedding, landscape, portrait, studio photography) the 7D autofocus is more than enough. Heck, I have been doing a lot of birding recently and very happy with the 7D autofocus. honetly I would take it over a 51 point autofocus. the focus points are all cross type, and cover just about the entire viewfinder. it is already cumbersome enough moving with the joystick through the 19 points. what do I want more for?
Canon will continue to compete at its price point (2800) regardless of what Nikon introduces. and I will tell you that just about everyone will be plenty happy with the 7d autofocus. I think the DR and Noise will be far more important.
Edit: and of course bracketing. Landscape camera needs better implementation. should have a choice of 3, 5, or 7 shots, with ec of up to 5.
I would buy a 5d3 over a 1dx with those specifications even at the same price, as the higher pixel density in a smaller body is far more useful to me than shooting at 12 fps.

My Flickr (external link)
Gear List
https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1205576

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 23, 2011 14:18 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

I have heard, they are going to release it in 10 minutes...run....for the shops....lol

J_TULLAR
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 23, 2011 14:46 |  #15

kevindar wrote in post #13293234 (external link)
for the intended market (general shooting/wedding, landscape, portrait, studio photography) the 7D autofocus is more than enough. Heck, I have been doing a lot of birding recently and very happy with the 7D autofocus. honetly I would take it over a 51 point autofocus. the focus points are all cross type, and cover just about the entire viewfinder. it is already cumbersome enough moving with the joystick through the 19 points. what do I want more for?
Canon will continue to compete at its price point (2800) regardless of what Nikon introduces. and I will tell you that just about everyone will be plenty happy with the 7d autofocus. I think the DR and Noise will be far more important.
Edit: and of course bracketing. Landscape camera needs better implementation. should have a choice of 3, 5, or 7 shots, with ec of up to 5.
I would buy a 5d3 over a 1dx with those specifications even at the same price, as the higher pixel density in a smaller body is far more useful to me than shooting at 12 fps.

Cool beans for you, I would still rather have the 45 point focus.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,759 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D3 and 1Ds4 predictions
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.