Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 22 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 22:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

ULTRA WIDE AND FAST?

gagakango
166 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 22, 2011 22:08 |  #1

I have the sigma 12-24, I love shooting wide.

My question is, what fast and ultra wide might be a good choice for me?

When I had the 7D I loved the sigma 8-16 paired with my Tokina 11-16.

I would not be opposed to a prime. I would like the fast for shooting nightscapes and night sky shots.

Am considering the 14mm but right now am loathe to spend that kind of money on a lens.

Eos m w/kit zoom

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,416 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 22, 2011 22:10 |  #2

gagakango wrote in post #13291446 (external link)
I would like the fast for shooting nightscapes and night sky shots.

Aren't these commonly done on tripods?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,333 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 22, 2011 22:11 |  #3

there is the samyang 14mm f2.8...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

gagakango
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 22, 2011 22:13 |  #4

Done on tripods but unless you feel like stacking or boosting iso it is nicer to have faster

Eos m w/kit zoom

msowsun
"approx 8mm"
9,269 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Oct 22, 2011 22:32 |  #5

Some people get get results using the Tokina 11-16mm 2.8 at 15-16mm on Full Frame cameras: https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10978016#po​st10978016

Mike Sowsun / SL1 / 80D / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 15-85mm USM / EF-S 55-250mm STM / 5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS / EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 100-400 II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

gagakango
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 22, 2011 22:43 |  #6

Thanks msowsun, interesting. makes me wish i hadn't sold mine but it was part of getting the 5d2

Eos m w/kit zoom

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 22, 2011 22:49 |  #7

Samyang 14mm is amazing. If you can deal with MF. Sharpest UWA I have used by far and only cost me $300.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

gagakango
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 22, 2011 22:55 |  #8

Where does one find the samyang?

Eos m w/kit zoom

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 22, 2011 22:56 |  #9

gagakango wrote in post #13291446 (external link)
I have the sigma 12-24, I love shooting wide.

My question is, what fast and ultra wide might be a good choice for me?

When I had the 7D I loved the sigma 8-16 paired with my Tokina 11-16.

I would not be opposed to a prime. I would like the fast for shooting nightscapes and night sky shots.

Am considering the 14mm but right now am loathe to spend that kind of money on a lens.

The sigma 12-24mm is not fast... Max aperture at 12mm is 4.5, and considering field curvature and border IQ are so absolutely horrible at 12mm, it needs to be stopped down to f/9-f/13 to be acceptable.

You don't NEED a fast lens for landscapes, but you do need a lens that gives acceptable border IQ (especially for landscapes)... and usually the faster it is, the wider you can use it with acceptable outcome. The Samyang 14mm defies everything by being razor sharp across the field at 2.8.

My Gearlist

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 22, 2011 22:59 |  #10

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …tra_Wide_Angle_​f_2_8.html (external link)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …4mm_f_2_8_Ultra​_Wide.html (external link)

It goes under the name of bower and rokinon as well. A lot of other names, too.

TC_Fenua
682 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 22, 2011 23:04 |  #11

Here (external link) is a comparison of the samyang 14 f/2.8 vs the 14L and 16-35L. I ordered one last week, for astrophotography and landscape shooting :lol:

Teva , my Flickr (external link)
MataReva Photography (external link)
I suck at photography , but at least I'm having fun doing it :D

gagakango
THREAD ­ STARTER
166 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 22, 2011 23:11 |  #12

thanks for all the help.. I think that is the price range and lens i would be looking for!

And yes, the sigma is not fast. I like it outside in the day. it is wiiiiide

Eos m w/kit zoom

artemisn
426 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 23, 2011 01:03 |  #13

TC_Fenua wrote in post #13291607 (external link)
Here (external link) is a comparison of the samyang 14 f/2.8 vs the 14L and 16-35L. I ordered one last week, for astrophotography and landscape shooting :lol:

Oh wow, those edges are crazy. I previously owned the Samyang, but with my 30D's stock screen, manual focus was just not happening. That, along with issues of the focusing ring being out of alignment led to me selling it. When you lock focus though, it is definitely a masterpiece of a lens.

Richard
Your friendly neighborhood photographer/organist-in-the-making
www.anvil.cc (external link)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 23, 2011 01:10 |  #14

artemisn wrote in post #13292014 (external link)
Oh wow, those edges are crazy. I previously owned the Samyang, but with my 30D's stock screen, manual focus was just not happening. That, along with issues of the focusing ring being out of alignment led to me selling it. When you lock focus though, it is definitely a masterpiece of a lens.

The differences are even more striking when you compare it on FF bodies.

Not sure what the stock screen and MF has to do with anything. You can pretty much just stick it on one setting for anything 6+ feet away.

My Gearlist

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 23, 2011 09:42 |  #15

I got the Bell and Howell name of the Samyang for $279 or something off Amazon from Beach. It has gone up to $320 or more since. Don't spend more for the other names, they are identical!

The IQ is amazing. I am blown away by how sharp it is. It may be the sharpest lens I own honestly, not even joking. At 100% the details are insane. It has some distortion but easily corrected in LR with profiles available online. I set the lens at the hyperfocal distance and f/8 and don't worry about AF. All is in focus anyway.

Best value lens I have ever used. Incredible IQ, no CA, good flare resistance and great build. For under $300? I would never consider the 14L anymore.

The only bad part is that the focus scale is generally wrong on all these lenses. So you must rely on live view focusing or just using hyperfocal distances.

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,398 views & 0 likes for this thread
ULTRA WIDE AND FAST?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.