Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Water in my 28mm f/1.8

katekay
37 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 23, 2011 11:33 |  #1

Hello everybody,

Yesterday- my tripod fell over that had my canon t1i mounted on it with my brand new 28mm f/ 1.8. You can see that there is condensation in the lens when I look through the viewfinder.

I really want to take this apart to clean up the water / condensation..

Do you recommend this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sponsored links
5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 23, 2011 11:38 |  #2

We need more information. What type of water are we talking about here? Salt Water, a stream, lake or what? What about water damage to the camera?

katekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 23, 2011 11:44 |  #3

Hello again,

It was river water. It fell very quickly, but the top half of the camera was submerged. The camera will turn on for a second or two and then turn off. But, believe it or not, I'm more worried about the lens. That's why I'm wondering if I should take it apart to get that water out.

Thanks again!

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 23, 2011 14:08 as a reply to  @ katekay's post |  #4

Suffice it to say that if I had a lens and camera fall into water and was experiencing what you are they would get packaged up and sent off to the nearest Canon Service Center. I never try to repair anything myself, I do not have the appropriate tools to do that and what if you run into trouble reassembling the thing. Given the cost of these items I would suggest getting a professional to deal with them. Condensation (if that is all it is) will sometimes clear on its own over time. I think that you have more than simple condensation.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 23, 2011 17:15 |  #5

Boy, to start with, detach that lens and remove the camera battery and, if your camera has a detachable Date/Time battery, pull it out as well!

Then, there are these little packages of absorbent "stuff" you can pack them with which can help, I''ve heard of people having good results with them, but I don't remember what they are called. I do know that you want unused ones. So, if you don't want to send your equipment in for servicing, that is the approach people seem to prefer.

I'll tell you what I did with a lens that fell into river water (no camera attached): I saw water droplets in there. I turned on my oven to a very low heat and left the camera in it with the oven door open for a day, checked out the lens, and put it back in for another day or two.

After a while of that I saw no more moisture. This was a "consumer" 70-300 IS lens, and it wouldn't have surprised me if it was "belly up", but I put it on my 30D and it worked! And, it kept working all the time I had the lens! It's been a few years, and I don't know where the lens is any longer, but still...

A camera body would be another question to me, stuffed with electronics and whatnot...like I said, pull that battery/batteries...wh​at you do from there is, well, up to you I guess, although a trip to Canon would be the safest thing.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

lettershop
A lame title from the TF
967 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 23, 2011 17:27 |  #6

they are called desiccant. Many places sell them

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …0_500_000_Silic​a_Gel.html (external link)

you can also use dry rice to do much of the same if you are cheap. And no, you don't pack your opened camera with rice kernels.

Ideally, you dry out the camera with desiccant BEFORE you turn it back on

1DX, Gripped 60D,10-22mm, 18-135mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 24-70L, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 100mm f2.8 Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 60mm 2/2.8 Macro, 580ex, 430EXII, Pocketwizards, Softbox, Tamron 1.4X TC, Canon 2x TC, GT3541LS, BH-55

Octowl
Goldmember
1,810 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 23, 2011 22:35 |  #7

I also told katekay to just send it to canon. but im sure that gel package things could also be a great idea.

My name is Daniel and I'm a Graphic Designer, but my passion is Photography
Canon EOS 60D | 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 580EX II | D-Lite-4 IT | Glidecam HD2000
Full Gear List | flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)

MOkoFOko
nut impotent and avoiding Geoff
19,889 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 23, 2011 22:37 |  #8

Gel... and/or rice... or stick it in a humidity controlled box. Canon will charge you a boatload to clean out anything damaged by water.

My Gearlist

st3venb
211 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 23, 2011 22:44 |  #9

Having done service on two way radios... when water gets inside onto the control boards it does baddddd things to the leads and solder runs.

If there is absolutely any salt in the water, they will start eroding quickly... and modern stacked boards can have water damage within the "layers" of the board... which are basically impossible to fix. To be honest, you should just send it in to canon.. and bite the bullet on repairs.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
my humble sites:
{flickr (external link) } { seeingflashes.com (external link) }

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 24, 2011 00:53 |  #10

st3venb wrote in post #13295972 (external link)
Having done service on two way radios... when water gets inside onto the control boards it does baddddd things to the leads and solder runs.

If there is absolutely any salt in the water, they will start eroding quickly... and modern stacked boards can have water damage within the "layers" of the board... which are basically impossible to fix. To be honest, you should just send it in to canon.. and bite the bullet on repairs.

Well, shipping off a wet camera will only tend to make it worse! But if he can follow the advice for getting it as dry as possible, and the camera and/or lens work as a result, well he has gained -- otherwise, yeah, a trip to Canon and probably have circuit boards replaces at a, well, cost!

Insurance is good for such occasions:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

SnapFire
230 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 24, 2011 12:17 |  #11

I would say it would depend on the lens. I recently bought a lot of old manual lenses on eBay which all had haze or fungus. I used to work on watch movements so I have no problem taking on small pieces. I was able to take the lenses apart and fully clean the elements and get them back together and now I have some nice old manual primes. I would NOT however break in to anything that had an autofocus motor in it... That just scares me that I would screw something up. There isn't much to a manual prime lens but once you put a motherboard and a motor in it, I'm done.

SnapFire
Canon 5D
Canon 50D

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 24, 2011 13:42 |  #12

Ack - top half of the camera? That isn't good bud. Send it to Canon. Work over time!

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

katekay
THREAD ­ STARTER
37 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 24, 2011 17:14 as a reply to  @ JonK's post |  #13

Hi everyone!

I really appreciate all of your advice responses! They all helped greatly!

I'm going to end up sending it to to Canon most likely!

Thank you again,

Katie :D

PMGphotog
342 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 24, 2011 18:11 |  #14

Lens wise only ( coming from a mobile phone tech background so caveat emptor ) I'd put the lens in a tea towel ( non fluffy) and place that in an airing cupboard, or someplace in the house that is slightly above room temp. Then leave it for 24-48 hours or more in the hope that the h2O will evaporate slowly. ( this won't apply to salt water ).

Dessicant bags can work, open rice packing can leave small bits in akward places :) The above has fixed many smartphones but I've never tried it with a lens.

Canon EOS 1000d /60d : 18-55mm IS kit lens. Canon 50mm 1.8 MK2. Tamron 55-200mm F4-5.6, battery grip to make my cam look pro..and 30mm Sigma F1.4 recently added
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/patmcguire2011/ (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,066 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Oct 24, 2011 18:29 |  #15

lettershop wrote in post #13294601 (external link)
they are called desiccant. Many places sell them

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …0_500_000_Silic​a_Gel.html (external link)

Holy cow; I'm ordering a bunch of those! I've been scrounging up the little, fabric packs out of shoe boxes and stuff :p

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

2,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
Water in my 28mm f/1.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.