Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I have too many lenses ??

forbigger
45 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 23, 2011 13:48 |  #1

Folks, 8 months into this mad hobby. Now I have 7 freaking lenses and looking to get rid some (I know its never enough)......can you guys enlighten me?:
1. 24-105 : thinking this as walk around lenses but in reality, didnt use it as much.
2. 100-400: just nice to have this beast and the feeling of having it handy when I need it. only used it 5 times at most. had this for about 2 months.
3. 11-16 : so far my best work comes from this lens. affordable ,stellar image quality. this is a keeper
4. 85mm 1.8: thinking of getting rid of this one as I dont shot too much portrait and I have the 24-105 already. But I keep this because even if I sell it, I wont get much out of it. And the bokeh is just first class (only beaten by some high end lens)
5. 100mm 2.8 macro : just bought this as I venture into the world of macro.
6. 50mm 1.4 : thinking of using this as low light lens as my lens arsenal only no 4 and 5 are capable of low light but still not low enough. Also if I sell it, wont get much back
7. 28-55 kit lens : never use this anymore. thinking of selling it but friend of mine said if I sell it, I will have difficulties of selling my body later. Besides, I would mostly get like $100 max for it.

So , which one to go ? My shooting style mostly on landscape. I love all my lenses but I just feel that I have too many lenses at the moment.....

www.flickr.com/photos/​67669893@N03/ (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 23, 2011 14:01 |  #2

I don't see a 70-200 2.8 in your collection, or any of the long primes. No, you clearly do not have too many lenses.

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 23, 2011 14:06 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

I also have gotten rid of lenses I didn't use much. Sounds like you could sell the 85mm and still use the 50mm. The 100-400mm is quite a bit of change so you might sell that too since you rarely use it. Keep the 24-105mm if you get rid of the 100-400mm. Definitely keep the macro as it could be used a portrait lens and a macro. It's very sharp too. Sell the 28-55 too. The body isn't a special body for only that lens so I don't see why you couldn't sell the body later without the lens.

If you don't need the money then keep all but the 28-55 as you could use each one for landscape.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 23, 2011 14:21 |  #4

if you don't use them, and need money for something else...get rid of them...having a 1,500 lens that sits on a shelf isn't much use...or you could try actually forcing yourself to use them, maybe that will allow you to see things differently...you'll see instances where you could use a 100-400mm

right now it seems like you're in an UWA state of mind...so everything in your head is probably done thru that lenses view...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

forbigger
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 23, 2011 14:32 |  #5

thanks for the advice so far. i think goldboughtrue, selling the 85mm seems like a good idea since the 50mm 1.4 can pretty much do the same job.

As for the 100-400, I think I'll just keep it for a while longer. I bought this lens thinking of shooting bird and airshows but opportunities simply hasnt present itself for me doing so. I did make use of it at zoo. Like I said, having this beast for me is more like a convenient of having it when i need it rather than the actual usage.

www.flickr.com/photos/​67669893@N03/ (external link)

dfbovey
Goldmember
1,602 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 23, 2011 14:33 |  #6

Kinda up to you whether you have too many. Do you use them? If yes, then no, you don't have too many.

Flickr (external link)
Canon 1D markIV - Canon 1D markIII - Canon 6D
Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L - Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS - Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L - Canon EF 500mm f/4L

i2ichal2d
88 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 23, 2011 14:39 |  #7

Sell the 85, sell the kit lens. Yes its true you won't get much for it and it may be harder to sell your body in the future, but if that time ever comes, you can always buy a used kit lens again for basically the same price you will sell yours for. At least for now you will free up some space and can move that little bit of money somewhere else to use.

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 23, 2011 14:39 |  #8

sell everything you dont use and buy something you would like to use.

as far as the 28-55mm, your friend is wrong about making it harder to sell your body later if you dont have this. just sell it. you are not required to keep a body with a specific lens. if you want to sell your body later to upgrade sell the body without lenses. it wont change in value other than the addition value of included lenses. body is a body, a lens with it does not change the fact that its still the same camera.

it is up to you how many lenses you own. the smart thing is to have lenses that you use rather than ones that collect dust. so down sizing you kit to upgrade to lenses that will get use would be a good idea

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 23, 2011 14:46 |  #9

If you have a crop camera, I'd consolidate.

1. 24-105 : thinking this as walk around lenses but in reality, didnt use it as much.
2. 100-400: just nice to have this beast and the feeling of having it handy when I need it. only used it 5 times at most. had this for about 2 months.
3. 11-16 : so far my best work comes from this lens. affordable ,stellar image quality. this is a keeper
4. 85mm 1.8: thinking of getting rid of this one as I dont shot too much portrait and I have the 24-105 already. But I keep this because even if I sell it, I wont get much out of it. And the bokeh is just first class (only beaten by some high end lens)
5. 100mm 2.8 macro : just bought this as I venture into the world of macro.
6. 50mm 1.4 : thinking of using this as low light lens as my lens arsenal only no 4 and 5 are capable of low light but still not low enough. Also if I sell it, wont get much back
7. 28-55 kit lens : never use this anymore. thinking of selling it but friend of mine said if I sell it, I will have difficulties of selling my body later. Besides, I would mostly get like $100 max for it.

Shrink your kit down to the Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55, Sigma 30, Canon 85, Canon 100 Macro, Canon 100-400.

If you're on crop, the 17-55 is infinitely better than any of the L zooms. The Sigma 30, Canon 85, 100 macro would take care of your portrait and macro duty. You'd still have your 100-400.

I recommend the same kit for every crop user. Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55, Sigma 30, Macro, Canon 70-200 variant.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,381 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 23, 2011 14:59 |  #10

plasticmotif wrote in post #13293994 (external link)

Shrink your kit down to the Tokina 11-16, Canon 17-55, Sigma 30, Canon 85, Canon 100 Macro, Canon 100-400.

that wouldn't really get rid of too many lenses though...he could get to the same number just by selling the kit lens...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

RichSoansPhotos
Cream of the Crop
5,981 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 23, 2011 15:23 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

Sell the kit lens and the 85mm, if you don't do portrait, but only like the "bokeh" since the 50mm 1.4 will give you more bokeh I would keep that

ThatTeenPhotographer
290 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 23, 2011 15:26 |  #12

Honestly if your getting any use out of them then keep them. Unless you really have no where to put the lenses I would keep them around.

Facebook (external link)|flickr (external link)|Website (external link)
Rebel XSi (450D), 50mm 1.8 II, EF-S 18-55, Tamron AF 70-300 Di LD, CS6, Rebel 2000 & Access to Many Old Film Cameras
Working on a 365

Overread
Goldmember
2,218 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 23, 2011 17:06 |  #13

5 months in you've probably not had all the shooting opportunities to get the best use out of the lenses. I'd say before you start on the downsizing and selling madness (which then leads to another spurge or purchasing right after ;)) is to have a few more months to really get a feel for things. Work on the hobby and your skills as well as getting a chance to use your lenses more often. You'll get a better feel; not just for the lenses but the situations you find yourself shooting in and how you like to shoot.

That at least helps you to better tell if certain lenses are or are not for you - allowing you to more effectively weed out your lens line-up yourself rather than just relying on the specs of the lens or upon other peoples opinions.

Tools of the trade: Canon 400D, Canon 7D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L M2, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS, Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro, Tamron 24-70mm f2.4, Sigma 70mm f2.8 macro, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6, Raynox DCR 250, loads of teleconverters and a flashy thingy too
My flickr (external link)

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 23, 2011 17:25 |  #14

Depends on what you shoot, and realistically what you want out of them.

I am a university student on almost no income that shoots for hobby and memories, and occasionally events. I've upgraded bodies 3 times, but basically, the nifty 50 is what I need for 90% of what I shoot (on FF, 30 on crop). XSi->40D->5D. Ever since I got the 50 on my XSi, then Sigma 30 when I went to the 40D, it's fit most of my needs.

You don't need a ton of lenses to get your stuff done. As long as image quality, AF, and everything works for you, and you understand lighting, you know what you'll need or not need.

Take time, sit down, think about which lenses you need in what situations and sell the ones that you don't need.

Personally, it would be ideal if I had a 5Dii, 50L, 24L, 85L, and a few strobes with triggers and lightstands.

I know a lot of people that have gear lust, and they end up not shooting enough and having too much gear but not utilizing it.

Really consider all this

plasticmotif
Goldmember
3,174 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 23, 2011 18:51 |  #15

DreDaze wrote in post #13294043 (external link)
that wouldn't really get rid of too many lenses though...he could get to the same number just by selling the kit lens...

I answered his question then didn't I?

Yes, OP. You have too many lenses by one. Also, there are better lenses for their intended purpose out there than what you have. Read my previous posts for the suggestions.

Mac P.
My Zenfolio (external link) My Photo Blog (external link) My Equipment
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=14172975#po​st14172975

sponsored links

4,281 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I have too many lenses ??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.