Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 07 Oct 2011 (Friday) 02:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I have Z1 ball, need legs

peter_n
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 22, 2011 08:28 |  #31

Most reports rate the twist locks as more durable. I've never used a flip lock tripod and can't comment, but the modern twist locks are very easy to use and the joints are rigid too. I would not buy a tripod with a center column unless I couldn't avoid it, like with a travel tripod for example.

I use a 3541LS but was going to buy the Benro C3780T last December when the price of the Gitzo dipped below it with a discount plus coupon so I bought the Gitzo. I do use a Benro tripod and also have an equivalent Gitzo model and the Benro is a better product. I think you should give the C3780T serious consideration...

~Peter

sponsored links
Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 23, 2011 00:13 as a reply to  @ peter_n's post |  #32

mmm to me, $170 bucks difference for the gitzo is a good deal for a lifetime warranty. But I have no clue how this warranty works.

But a tripod is a tripod. If it get into saltwater, and gets corrosion, does the warranty still in valid?

And yeah now I just try to choose between one of these even though I know that I can't go wrong with either one.

flickr (external link)

Fricks
Cream of the Crop
23,039 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 23, 2011 00:18 |  #33

Azzure_7 wrote in post #13291876 (external link)
mmm to me, $170 bucks difference for the gitzo is a good deal for a lifetime warranty. But I have no clue how this warranty works.

But a tripod is a tripod. If it get into saltwater, and gets corrosion, does the warranty still in valid?

And yeah now I just try to choose between one of these even though I know that I can't go wrong with either one.

my gt3541ls has been dipped in salt water more then its fair share and its still like brand new!

Gliderparentntn
Goldmember
1,582 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Oct 23, 2011 10:45 |  #34

I've mounted my 600 on my Z1 with very little droop using the Feisol tripod and that was plenty stable although I do use the gimbal head. If you are getting droop from your Z1 using a 100-400 you may heed to tighten the adjuster screw on the head or the legs youre currently using are not stable enough. Most definetly you don't want flip locks for the tripod twist locks are the way to go and with anti rotation legs as well.

James
1DMKIII, 1DsMKIII, 17-40L, 24-70L[COLOR=black], 135[COLOR=red]L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS,200L, 300 f/4L IS, 400 5.6L, 600L, 85 f/1.8, 100 macro, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 HSM, Sigma 85mm 1.4 HSM, 1.4xII + extension tubes, MPe65

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Oct 23, 2011 13:50 |  #35

Fricks wrote in post #13291887 (external link)
my gt3541ls has been dipped in salt water more then its fair share and its still like brand new!

Be sure to clean it well. I have a 1349 here with 5 leg locks corroded solid.
http://www.naturescape​s.net/082004/gd0804.ht​m (external link)

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 23, 2011 14:07 |  #36

René Damkot wrote in post #13293775 (external link)
Be sure to clean it well. I have a 1349 here with 5 leg locks corroded solid.
http://www.naturescape​s.net/082004/gd0804.ht​m (external link)

Exactly why I use my tripod leg protectors: LINK;)

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 23, 2011 19:24 as a reply to  @ ben_r_'s post |  #37

Gliderparentntn wrote in post #13293186 (external link)
I've mounted my 600 on my Z1 with very little droop using the Feisol tripod and that was plenty stable although I do use the gimbal head. If you are getting droop from your Z1 using a 100-400 you may heed to tighten the adjuster screw on the head or the legs youre currently using are not stable enough. Most definetly you don't want flip locks for the tripod twist locks are the way to go and with anti rotation legs as well.

OK. So my problem is I never tightened over the number 12 mark. But I played around with it and re-read the manual and I think I got it.

About the anti leg rotation,
The Anti-Rotation Leg (ALR) system makes it quick and easy to open and close the tripod. Simply turn all of the locking rings at once and the whole leg can be pulled out in seconds.

I don't get what Gitzo is trying to say.
Isn't every twist leg do that?
Is that really a feature or just something they write to just add more feature to their spec's list?

flickr (external link)

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 23, 2011 19:35 |  #38

Azzure_7 wrote in post #13295100 (external link)
OK. So my problem is I never tightened over the number 12 mark. But I played around with it and re-read the manual and I think I got it.

About the anti leg rotation,
The Anti-Rotation Leg (ALR) system makes it quick and easy to open and close the tripod. Simply turn all of the locking rings at once and the whole leg can be pulled out in seconds.

I don't get what Gitzo is trying to say.
Isn't every twist leg do that?
Is that really a feature or just something they write to just add more feature to their spec's list?

Nope. Legs used to freely rotate inside of the next larger section. Because of this, you had to lock and unlock the sections in a certain order. ARL made set up and break down a breeze. Now, you can unlock all the locks in one leg at once, then extend. It saves a lot of time.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Azzure_7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,102 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 23, 2011 19:58 |  #39

Does the Benro C3780 have it?
http://www.ebay.com …3f0f368311#ht_7​015wt_1110 (external link)

I don't see it where they specify.

flickr (external link)

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Oct 23, 2011 20:54 |  #40

Azzure_7 wrote in post #13295238 (external link)
Does the Benro C3780 have it?
http://www.ebay.com …3f0f368311#ht_7​015wt_1110 (external link)

I don't see it where they specify.

Yes, the Benro has it.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

sponsored links

6,192 views & 0 likes for this thread
I have Z1 ball, need legs
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.