Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 24 Oct 2011 (Monday) 06:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why does the EF 28mm 1.8 get's so much hate?

gdourado07
258 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 24, 2011 06:14 |  #1

Hi...

I was browsing the forums and came to the conclusion that a lot of people seem not to like the EF 28mm 1.8...
I have one and I use it quite a few on a crop sensor mostly and like it.
It is not the best lens out there, sure...
But it has a nice focal length, it can be used in FF or crop cameras, it has fast USM focusing, it is accurate to focus....
It is not the best performer wide open... But i find mine usable at 1.8 and quite good from 2.2...

So, why so much hate for this little lens?

Cheers!

Current gear:
Fuji X100S

sponsored links
KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,388 posts
Gallery: 572 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 24, 2011 06:41 |  #2

I dunno, i just did a good review of it not very long ago actually!

I think its because the majority of people buying one are simply expecting a lot from it and at its current price its a bit more expensive than the competition...ie, the Sigma 30, most users are also shooting APS-C vs Full Frame..

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Voaky999
Goldmember
3,313 posts
Gallery: 797 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2011 06:44 |  #3

Don't know, mine works fine on the 7D

Don
"Knowledge is Good" Emil Faber

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2011 07:27 |  #4

I haven't noticed any "hate" at all for that particular lens. What I have noticed, is that people considering it usually use crop cameras and want a fast normal prime. In that case, the sigma 30 1.4 is a better lens, and costs less, which leads to it being recommended over the 28 1.8, and the reasons for this recommendation being listed, which I suppose you could interpret as "hate", but is in fact just a comparison and list of facts, i.e. The 28 is not as sharp, not as fast, has cheaper build, costs more, the bokeh isn't as smooth or creamy, and it doesn't come with a hood or as long a warranty.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

chrissp
78 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2011 08:50 |  #5

Sirrith wrote in post #13296982 (external link)
I haven't noticed any "hate" at all for that particular lens. What I have noticed, is that people considering it usually use crop cameras and want a fast normal prime. In that case, the sigma 30 1.4 is a better lens, and costs less, which leads to it being recommended over the 28 1.8, and the reasons for this recommendation being listed, which I suppose you could interpret as "hate", but is in fact just a comparison and list of facts, i.e. The 28 is not as sharp, not as fast, has cheaper build, costs more, the bokeh isn't as smooth or creamy, and it doesn't come with a hood or as long a warranty.

Nothing personal, but you forgot to mention that the 28 has faster & more reliable AF, shorter MFD and can be used on FF. I also disagree that the 28 build is inferior to the 30mm. Bokeh is subjective. This coming from someone who has owned both lenses for a period of time.

My point is - both are nice lenses. When one is considering the options, it is important to weight the pros and cons. Neither is "better" than the other, only better suited for one's needs.

Chris | My flickr (external link)
Canon EOS 500D + BG-E5 | 18-55 IS | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 430EX II | Sony RX100 | Sirui R-1204 + G10
Lowepro Mini-trekker | Crumpler Six Million Dollar Home | Billingham Hadley Digital

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2011 08:59 |  #6

chrissp wrote in post #13297182 (external link)
Nothing personal, but you forgot to mention that the 28 has faster & more reliable AF, shorter MFD and can be used on FF. I also disagree that the 28 build is inferior to the 30mm. Bokeh is subjective. This coming from someone who has owned both lenses for a period of time.

My point is - both are nice lenses. When one is considering the options, it is important to weight the pros and cons. Neither is "better" than the other, only better suited for one's needs.

I omitted them to show how it would be possible to see a comparison between the two as "hate".

When I recommend the sigma 30 over the canon 28 I make sure to always mention the advantages of the canon.

Bokeh being creamier and smoother isn't subjective. What is subjective about bokeh is whether you like creamy bokeh or more "nervous" bokeh.

I'm speaking as someone who was set on the 28 1.8 only to try the sigma 30 at a store and compare it to the 28 1.8, and find that the sigma was better in every way that mattered to me, viz build quality and IQ.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

cueball
507 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 24, 2011 09:04 |  #7

I love mine indoors on the 1D3 and think it's a great light-weight walk around on my 40D. It's not the sharpest tool in the box when wide open, but I usually just treat it like an f2.0 lens. I actually just used mine this weekend for my daughters B-Day party and thought it did great. I shoot RAW and PP everything so I don't have an issue with adding a little sharpening/contrast when I use it. The MFD is also a plus.

Canon: 5D Mark IV, EOS R, 35 f1.4L II, 85 f1.4L IS, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70 f2.8L II, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS II, 100 f2.8L IS Macro, 2X III, 1.4X III, 580EX II, 430EX
Feedback: https://photography-on-the.net …=12723614&postc​ount=27889, https://photography-on-the.net …=13303433&postc​ount=30051

J_O_S_H_U_A
265 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 24, 2011 09:53 |  #8

I loved my 28 1.8 and have not a bad thing to say about it.

www.instagram.com/_j_o​_s_h_u_a_ (external link) www.atomiccanary.com (external link) http://joshuaorozco.co​m (external link)

chrissp
78 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2011 09:54 |  #9

Sirrith wrote in post #13297208 (external link)
I omitted them to show how it would be possible to see a comparison between the two as "hate".

When I recommend the sigma 30 over the canon 28 I make sure to always mention the advantages of the canon.

Bokeh being creamier and smoother isn't subjective. What is subjective about bokeh is whether you like creamy bokeh or more "nervous" bokeh.

I'm speaking as someone who was set on the 28 1.8 only to try the sigma 30 at a store and compare it to the 28 1.8, and find that the sigma was better in every way that mattered to me, viz build quality and IQ.

I see. Sadly, not everyone is as objective as you are. Too often, people are quick to belittle something and put in extremely biased remarks. I guess this is where the "hate" feeling come about.

By the way, I do feel that there is more to bokeh then just about being creamy or smoother, which is why I mentioned it being subjective. ;)

Chris | My flickr (external link)
Canon EOS 500D + BG-E5 | 18-55 IS | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 430EX II | Sony RX100 | Sirui R-1204 + G10
Lowepro Mini-trekker | Crumpler Six Million Dollar Home | Billingham Hadley Digital

botw
Goldmember
1,157 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 24, 2011 10:12 |  #10

By my subjective tests (i.e. looking at my lightroom catelogue), my 28 is sharper than my 30 by 2.2. The 30 was better at 1.8 though. In any case, I like the lighter 28, which I use on my 60D and 5d2, more than I liked the 30. Both are good lenses.

Here's a link to a threadI posted a while back with some sample shots. Judge for yourself.

www.gc5photography.com (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 24, 2011 11:12 |  #11

I am very interested in this lens. I want a 35L, but don't have that kind of money after getting my 5D2. I love my Sigma 30 on my 7D, but would rather have a lens I can use on both cameras. It looks like I could almost swap straight up for a 28, I'm just hesitant to do so because I feel that my 30 is a good copy, which is not a given it seems. I'll probably just stick with what I have until I can afford the 35L, but I'm still watching for 28's...

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

keith30d
904 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 24, 2011 12:30 |  #12

i too am interested in the 28 to use on my 5dc and 30d, with the 28 on the 5d and my 50 on the 30d i reckon i should be well covered for the weddings i'm second shooting at these days. i don't have 100% confidence in my sigma 24-70 when it comes to focussing but the canon 100/2 i have is awesome. the build of the 28 looks to be similar to the 100/2 and 50/1.4 which is fine by my standards, and the af seems to be as quick and accurate throughout these lenses.

i think i'm gonna take a punt on it around xmas, probably upgrading my 50/1.8 to a 1.4 at the same time, cash permitting.

2 x 5dc::50d::canon 28/1.8::canon 40/2.8::canon 50/1.4::canon 100/2::sigma 70-200/2.8::2 x canon 430 exii
www.keithrutherford.co​.uk (external link) / keith rutherford photography facebook (external link) / keith rutherford facebook (external link)

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2011 13:23 |  #13

I made a thread about the 28 or the 35 f/2 yesterday. I agree on the hate, after doing a lot of research through Google in the past few days.

Personally, on crop, I had the Sigma 30. It's just an excellent lens. AF is silent, Manual Focus Overall, Extremely excellent build quality, and reasonable price. It was soft at f/1.4, but that's expected, past 2.8 it was super sharp, and bokeh was creamy.

I do miss the Sigma, and I am considering the 28 right now, but I think I'm eventually picking up a 35 f/2 for my 5D. I ask my camera expert friend, and he said anything less than 35mm will not be great due to the glass or elements or something lol I'm not an expert, but I trust him.

Overall, if there's so much dislike for the 28, Canon's probably not doing their job right. There is truth when a majority rules.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2011 13:39 |  #14

tsong wrote in post #13298509 (external link)
I ask my camera expert friend, and he said anything less than 35mm will not be great due to the glass or elements or something lol I'm not an expert, but I trust him.

I think you might need to reclassify your friend's "camera expert" status.

What he told you about lenses wider than 35mm being "not great" is utter bollocks.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,477 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Oct 24, 2011 13:43 as a reply to  @ tsong's post |  #15

I like my 28/f1.8 for both indoor and outdoor shooting. It's IQ is sufficient to enable some great crops for outdoor shots - - you know... you pull-up some average shot into PP and think "Why, I never even saw that!" So you crop/compose some small detail, and it turns out just great. This can happen a lot shooting flowers or crowds or scenery... you just can't see all the details until you PP.

And for indoor shots, it's good for getting everyone into a group shot... and catching some cute looks because it is fast.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

sponsored links

3,154 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why does the EF 28mm 1.8 get's so much hate?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.