Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
Thread started 24 Dec 2009 (Thursday) 11:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NYC Meets?

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 18, 2011 12:46 |  #3586

vipergts831 wrote in post #13268050 (external link)
However, a D3s at half that price of a 1dx when the new D nikon camera is announced will be very difficult to pass up. This is just me thinking out loud.

D3s has a half-baked video implementation and of course I always mention the awkward arrangement of the crosstype AF points all clustered in the center columns. 12MP is most definitely good enough for what I shoot, especially since they are high quality pixels, but after shooting a camera with a 21MP, it feels lacking, at least to me.

You gotta figure, at the native ISO of 51200, it will be AT LEAST 2 stops better than the 5D2, which would put the 1DX well within the D3s territory when it comes to high ISO noise handling, possibly better...at least for now. At 18MP, that's pretty drool worthy. And since the D800 is rumored to be 36MP, I just can't see that they would improve on the high ISO noise that much, if at all. I hope Canon doesn't do the same for the 5D3 because then that would pretty much leave the 1DX as the only FF option. Would be interesting to see where both Canon and Nikon go with all of this. Really doesn't matter since the 1DX won't be available until March 2012, and for those that are waiting it out, much later than that.

sponsored links
vipergts831
Has the TF retired? Or just being utterly lazy?
43,988 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Location: Taking better shots with an iPhone than MDJAK with a 1DX

Oct 18, 2011 12:52 |  #3587

nicksan wrote in post #13268171 (external link)
D3s has a half-baked video implementation and of course I always mention the awkward arrangement of the crosstype AF points all clustered in the center columns. 12MP is most definitely good enough for what I shoot, especially since they are high quality pixels, but after shooting a camera with a 21MP, it feels lacking, at least to me.

You gotta figure, at the native ISO of 51200, it will be AT LEAST 2 stops better than the 5D2, which would put the 1DX well within the D3s territory when it comes to high ISO noise handling, possibly better...at least for now. At 18MP, that's pretty drool worthy. And since the D800 is rumored to be 36MP, I just can't see that they would improve on the high ISO noise that much, if at all. I hope Canon doesn't do the same for the 5D3 because then that would pretty much leave the 1DX as the only FF option. Would be interesting to see where both Canon and Nikon go with all of this. Really doesn't matter since the 1DX won't be available until March 2012, and for those that are waiting it out, much later than that.

Im convinced that the 5dIII will be a 30+ MP camera if not close to that. That would make sense why the D800 will come in at 36 in order to get into that market themselves.

In terms of the half baked video on the D3s it depends how much video you do. Im looking at it for images first with video as a secondary thought. What do i get on the image side and the price points as well. D3s on the market after a successor is announced will be a very compelling alternative in which you can take that price difference and invest the dollars else where.

But trust me im drooling over the 1D X! :lol:

-Omar- Flickr (external link) , 5px (external link)
Phaseone 645DF+...because only the best will make up for my lack of skills.
Beginners worry about gear, professionals worry about skill and masters worry about light

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 18, 2011 12:57 |  #3588

I think at this point, any camera I buy needs to have 1080/24p video...and any new camera will have it.

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,744 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 19, 2011 05:15 |  #3589

vipergts831 wrote in post #13268199 (external link)
Im convinced that the 5dIII will be a 30+ MP camera if not close to that. That would make sense why the D800 will come in at 36 in order to get into that market themselves.

In terms of the half baked video on the D3s it depends how much video you do. Im looking at it for images first with video as a secondary thought. What do i get on the image side and the price points as well. D3s on the market after a successor is announced will be a very compelling alternative in which you can take that price difference and invest the dollars else where.

But trust me im drooling over the 1D X! :lol:

You drool over your oatmeal. ;) :lol:

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,744 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 19, 2011 05:19 |  #3590

vipergts831 wrote in post #13267955 (external link)
And Mark yes i will be slinging dope over time on the corner in the next coming months :lol:

:lol: I knew it !!!!!

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,744 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 19, 2011 05:22 |  #3591

shomat wrote in post #13267653 (external link)
I'd sure love to have one too, but at a price like that, and not being a professional, I have to be honest with myself. All I really want is the sensor. For my purposes of landscape & travel photography most of the other features are "nice to have's" but not necessary. Plus the size is more of a hinderance.

Even the autofocus on the original 5D has never really bothered me. In fact, there's something nice about the 9 point system's simplicity -- having instant access to all the points through one nudge the multicontroller. Sometimes I wish they were a little closer to the edges, and of course only the center point works in the dark, but that's it.

Put that sensor in the 5DIII, strip out all the pro features and upgrade the AF. I'll buy that in a heartbeat.

Really? Really? Maybe you should buy some basic transportation first. You know, something with a steering wheel, AC and a windshield without spiderwebs throughout. ;) :lol:

cagnaluia
46 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 24, 2011 14:52 |  #3592

hello everydoby,

may you help me please? I need to recharge the NP-E3 Eos1D battery.
Is there anybody in NYC that can help me?

Eos1DsMk2|17-40F4L|50F1.2L|70-200F2.8L|300F4LIS

ooo
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2011 14:53 |  #3593

PhotoPlus Expo / 500px Photo Meet http://500px.com/blog/​17216 (external link)

^ discuss.

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 24, 2011 22:09 |  #3594

ooo wrote in post #13298937 (external link)
PhotoPlus Expo / 500px Photo Meet http://500px.com/blog/​17216 (external link)

^ discuss.

Cool, thanks for letting us know what to avoid. :lol:

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,744 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Oct 26, 2011 05:55 |  #3595

nicksan wrote in post #13301321 (external link)

Amen, brudda;)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Oct 26, 2011 09:11 |  #3596

nicksan wrote in post #13301321 (external link)

MDJAK wrote in post #13308438 (external link)
Amen, brudda;)

Mark must not be feeling well . . . Never known him to agree with Nick before!

:{)#

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 31, 2011 14:59 as a reply to  @ post 13249876 |  #3597

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i8.photobucket.​com …cepts/Photog/IM​G_1996.jpg (external link)

Well went a few weeks ago and got the skyline at 7am.

Then crossed the bridge and headed to Broadway.

Then went south and stopped by OWS.

Then off to Battery park and took the ferry to SI.

Was a great day and got a lot of pictures, some of which can be seen on my Photog link.

Maybe next time some of you grouchies will come out and hang.

Canon EOS 5D EOS 550D / EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II EF 28-90mm f/4-5.6 III USM EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | Yongnuo YN560 | Canon Speedlite 420 EX

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 31, 2011 15:44 |  #3598

Hey, it was great not seeing you New Yorkers at PhotoPlus. Another successful non-meet thanks to the crappy weather we had on Saturday. I love it when a plan comes together. We should definitely do it again! :lol:

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2011 16:03 |  #3599

^Hey Nick. How's everything with the wife handling the pregnancy? I hope all is well. :)

jdizzle
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 31, 2011 16:04 |  #3600

Rolfe D. Wolfe wrote in post #13333587 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Well went a few weeks ago and got the skyline at 7am.

Then crossed the bridge and headed to Broadway.

Then went south and stopped by OWS.

Then off to Battery park and took the ferry to SI.

Was a great day and got a lot of pictures, some of which can be seen on my Photog link.

Maybe next time some of you grouchies will come out and hang.

Nice! I can't wait till Freedom Tower is complete!! :)

sponsored links

259,451 views & 0 likes for this thread
NYC Meets?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.