Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 13:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do I have too many lenses ??

starwa1ker
86 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 23, 2011 18:56 |  #16

There's no such thing as too many lens =P I would get rid of the 28-55 kit lens first.

[[Canon 6D + 60D]] [[17-40]] [[35L]]
[[Gears list]]

sponsored links
Marloon
Goldmember
4,323 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 24, 2011 00:00 |  #17

Seems to me like you spent money without REALLY thinking about its uses/purposes. Most people have lens lineups that are fitting for their specialized purposes (ie. landscapes, portraiture). I personally don't care for landscape photography but you might want to ask the photographers in the landscape sub about their kits. I'm sure a lot of them spend money on wider lenses <50mm, Filters, pods, and all of those other things.

This kit that you have makes NO sense to me whatsoever. You have a couple of lenses that you don't use. Well, it's time to get rid of them to find another lens that works better for your intended purpose. Ie. spending money on a full frame camera, a 17 or 24Tse, 16-35uwa, blah blah blah etc etc etc.

I'm MARLON

Former Canon Platinum CPS member

5DII • 24L • 35L • 50L • 85L • 135L • 200LIS

Wordpress Blog (external link)Youtube Channel (external link)Twitter (external link)Gear List (external link)

forbigger
THREAD ­ STARTER
45 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 24, 2011 15:36 |  #18

looks like im set selling the 85mm.....thats the most sensible road to go at this point of time.

@marloon - im a beginner thus would like to explore all style of photography. some of the style needs a dedicated time to explore, thus my messy lenses collection. Once I'm more focused, then slowly will get rid of lenses that I dont use

www.flickr.com/photos/​67669893@N03/ (external link)

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2011 16:33 |  #19

forbigger wrote in post #13299157 (external link)
looks like im set selling the 85mm.....thats the most sensible road to go at this point of time.

@marloon - im a beginner thus would like to explore all style of photography. some of the style needs a dedicated time to explore, thus my messy lenses collection. Once I'm more focused, then slowly will get rid of lenses that I dont use

Being a beginner, you should use what you have. My best advice is use your 50. The 50mm length is the closest to what we see as humans. It's the normal length and if you start shooting with it, you will use your body to compose. Having zooms spoil you, and you will never develop better composition.

You can't just say you're trying to try out different types of photography by buying a bunch of lenses; you're just worried that you won't have the right gear at the right time, but if you have the money to own all of these, you spent too much time gearing rather than shooting, you need to just start with the basics with what you had (50).

Just use the bare minimum of what you have and shoot as much as possible. Photographing is pretty easy if you truly understand basics (ISO, Exposure, Shutter Speed, DOF) and really know how to use your camera body in and out. Also, just understanding how lenses work, knowing lighting. You'll be able to do pretty much anything if you understand your camera, lens, and light, after all, photography is basically exposing a sensor with a glass in front of it to capture light on objects so that it is recorded on some sort of memory medium.

The 50 is great, I'd keep it. Any zooms, I would not, but I'm a prime guy so I'm biased. Telephoto may be handy for if you shoot wildlife or airships, wide angle for landscapes.

Overall, it's all up to you. I've shot events and take great photos with just a 50mm equivalent, made my name with one lens.

Overall, don't worry about the gear, worry about what you know and make it intuition by studying and doing it.

ThatTeenPhotographer
290 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 24, 2011 17:46 |  #20

Well said tsong, the 50 is great! I've got the 1.8 and love that little lens, it's not great for situations where you don't exactly know what you'll be shooting. It's amazing for when you know exactly what your shooting and can control it somewhat.

Facebook (external link)|flickr (external link)|Website (external link)
Rebel XSi (450D), 50mm 1.8 II, EF-S 18-55, Tamron AF 70-300 Di LD, CS6, Rebel 2000 & Access to Many Old Film Cameras
Working on a 365

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 24, 2011 18:08 |  #21

Sell everything besides the 11-16, either the 50 or 85 and the 100-400.

Less lenses make you a better and more creative shooter if you ask me. 3 lenses is plenty. (I have 4 though, but I only have primes ;) )

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 24, 2011 18:22 |  #22

TijmenDal wrote in post #13299981 (external link)
if you ask me. 3 lenses is plenty. (I have 4 though, but I only have primes ;) )

You sir speak with a blasphemous tongue; no such thing as enough.

Although my wife use to say "Once a king always a king, but once a knight is enough".

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

gacon1
635 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Oct 25, 2011 02:05 |  #23

forbigger wrote in post #13293769 (external link)
Folks, 8 months into this mad hobby. Now I have 7 freaking lenses and looking to get rid some (I know its never enough)......can you guys enlighten me?:
1. 24-105 : thinking this as walk around lenses but in reality, didnt use it as much.
2. 100-400: just nice to have this beast and the feeling of having it handy when I need it. only used it 5 times at most. had this for about 2 months.
3. 11-16 : so far my best work comes from this lens. affordable ,stellar image quality. this is a keeper
4. 85mm 1.8: thinking of getting rid of this one as I dont shot too much portrait and I have the 24-105 already. But I keep this because even if I sell it, I wont get much out of it. And the bokeh is just first class (only beaten by some high end lens)
5. 100mm 2.8 macro : just bought this as I venture into the world of macro.
6. 50mm 1.4 : thinking of using this as low light lens as my lens arsenal only no 4 and 5 are capable of low light but still not low enough. Also if I sell it, wont get much back
7. 28-55 kit lens : never use this anymore. thinking of selling it but friend of mine said if I sell it, I will have difficulties of selling my body later. Besides, I would mostly get like $100 max for it.

So , which one to go ? My shooting style mostly on landscape. I love all my lenses but I just feel that I have too many lenses at the moment.....

Yes you do ! These should go:
- 28-55 kit lens.
- 85 1.8
- 24-105

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,934 posts
Gallery: 376 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 25, 2011 07:16 |  #24

I will just say I was going to sell my 85. I had the thing listed. I was only using my Sigma 30. That weekend, I started getting cold feet and mounted my 85 on my camera. Now it's my go to lens and my Sigma sits more.

Like others have said, try mounting each lens for a few days and go out and shoot. You will get a taste for what you like and what you don't like and this decision will become clear.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R5
Donate for Forum Costs

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2011 07:35 |  #25

I have lenses in my bag that I rarely use. However, when I need them, I need them, and I would kick my own butt if I didn't have them at that time.

But that is me. ;)

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

ThatTeenPhotographer
290 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 25, 2011 11:19 |  #26

I personally wish I had more than my current lenses a nice telephoto, some faster midrange zooms, a good external flash. Although I haven't even been into this hobby for a year now, and have had my dSLR for less than a year, I already could see advantages of say a 60d or 7d for my shooting and situations (theres plenty) where I want just that much more reach, or that extra stop of light. I am completely envious of your collection, and I think you should make an effort to get out and use each lens, and if theres one you really have no use for then sell it. I agree with the statement that it's not the gear that makes a photographer, but trust me, gear is a nice tool to have.

Facebook (external link)|flickr (external link)|Website (external link)
Rebel XSi (450D), 50mm 1.8 II, EF-S 18-55, Tamron AF 70-300 Di LD, CS6, Rebel 2000 & Access to Many Old Film Cameras
Working on a 365

MinnGreenGT
281 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Oct 25, 2011 12:06 |  #27

I think we all do a bit of the "gear shuffle" or at some point in time. Except of course, for those who have been shooting with only their thrifty fifty since 1987(?) :-)

I started out with a 35mm rebel, then upgraded to an XT (Circa 2006)... still using my Sigma 28-80 "kit" and 70-300mm tele lenses. It wasn't until just a few years ago that I got more-serious about my gear. After a few switches here & there (and still lacking the specific focus that others have mentioned). I now have a pretty broad range: 10-20mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 2x tele converter, & a 50mm 1.8mk1 - there is a time & place for each, but rare do I carry more than 2 lenses for any given project. And I think that's where the difference comes in. It's not about whether or not we own any given number of lenses - it's about knowing which to select before you shoot. Don't play guess & check. KNOW what you want to see before you walk out the door.

I most frequently carry my 10-20 & 24-70. This past week I shot (as a "guest" - not as photog) at a friend's wedding using only the 10-20mm (for beautiful interiors of the old & grand church), and the 50mm for everything else.

Keep your kit simple... irregardless of the size of your collection.

PS: I too am guilty of over-packing my bag... requires a certain amount of self-restraint not to carry every bit you own. Although limited packing space helps keep one in check.

|
Canon EOS 5Dmk2 | Canon 50mm 1.8 |
Canon 85mm 1.8 | Sigma 15-30mm | Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 | Bag-O-Cheap-Tricks |

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,732 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 25, 2011 12:27 |  #28

you'll never have enough lenses. Its like telling an auto mechanic he/she has enough tools...never....

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

nikmar08
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 25, 2011 14:30 |  #29

You probably have if you are being made to think or if you don't use them much. I let my 100 non-L macro go recently just for that very reason.

Holding onto lens (especially consumer-grade ones which lose value too) just because I might need them a couple of times in a year is not such a good idea to me!!

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)
Nikhil | Gear List & Market Feedback | Flickr (external link)
Support POTN by donating here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Lester ­ Wareham
29,795 posts
Gallery: 3045 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2005

Oct 25, 2011 14:39 |  #30

forbigger wrote in post #13293769 (external link)
Folks, 8 months into this mad hobby. Now I have 7 freaking lenses and looking to get rid some (I know its never enough)......can you guys enlighten me?:
1. 24-105 : thinking this as walk around lenses but in reality, didnt use it as much.
2. 100-400: just nice to have this beast and the feeling of having it handy when I need it. only used it 5 times at most. had this for about 2 months.
3. 11-16 : so far my best work comes from this lens. affordable ,stellar image quality. this is a keeper
4. 85mm 1.8: thinking of getting rid of this one as I dont shot too much portrait and I have the 24-105 already. But I keep this because even if I sell it, I wont get much out of it. And the bokeh is just first class (only beaten by some high end lens)
5. 100mm 2.8 macro : just bought this as I venture into the world of macro.
6. 50mm 1.4 : thinking of using this as low light lens as my lens arsenal only no 4 and 5 are capable of low light but still not low enough. Also if I sell it, wont get much back
7. 28-55 kit lens : never use this anymore. thinking of selling it but friend of mine said if I sell it, I will have difficulties of selling my body later. Besides, I would mostly get like $100 max for it.

So , which one to go ? My shooting style mostly on landscape. I love all my lenses but I just feel that I have too many lenses at the moment.....

Sounds fairly balanced to me, I have a hell of a lot more kit than that. The trick is not to drag all with you at once.

Unless you are desperate for cash I would hold on for while as you may find your interests change and you need some of those lenses.

Work out for each lens one or two types of photo only it could take, ie 100-400 wildlife, birds, zoo....

Then decide if any of these are uses you will never show an interest in.

The kit lens sounds like it isn't needed, but what's it worth. I still have a kit lens somewhere, always available as a backup or second body lens.

My Photography Home Page (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV
flickr (external link) Flickr Home (external link)

sponsored links

4,302 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do I have too many lenses ??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.