Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 24 Oct 2011 (Monday) 12:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Asian lady....German car. 1 shot, Dakar yellow M3. Sunset shot...

ultimachi
825 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 24, 2011 12:33 |  #1

So the lady and I were driving to dinner, and the sun was setting. Being that I happened to have some of my gear with me (60D, 580EXII, lightstand) I decided to pull off the highway and get a couple shots.

From set up to tear down was about 20 minutes, and I was able to grab this shot. Unplanned, AND my first time using off camera flash. I just got my cheetah light stand in so I've been wanting to try it out. What do you guys think? C&C welcomed! :D

IMAGE: http://digital-macdaddy.smugmug.com/JohnAfravi/Automotive/Random-Edits/i-t2c8GF6/0/L/IMG0212-Edit-L.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://digital-macdaddy.smugmug.com …r#1546642832_t2​c8GF6-A-LB  (external link)

*Wedding/Portraits Facebook Page* (external link) *Wedding/Portraits Blog* (external link) *Automotive Facebook Page* (external link) *Automotive Photography Blog* (external link)

sponsored links
FstopMiami123
Goldmember
2,751 posts
Gallery: 123 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 24, 2011 12:40 |  #2

Why crop some of the car off? I'm not to keen on the halos around the car and the subject.

Armando

Canon 5DSr Canon 5D MK4 Canon 5D MK2 17-40 L 16-35 2.8 L Canon 70-200 2.8 IS L Canon 300 2.8 LCanon 50mm 1.8 Canon 85mm 1.8Canon 600EX
www.CollsFineArtPhotog​raphy.com (external link)

Rolfe ­ D. ­ Wolfe
484 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 24, 2011 12:40 |  #3

The fact that this was not planned is amazing!

Good work.

I think the lighting could have been better in some places(legs/face) but for impromptu very good.

Also, the car being cut kind of kills it.

Support this site - donate here

ultimachi
THREAD ­ STARTER
825 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 24, 2011 12:48 |  #4

I know, all I had was my 85mm 1.8 with me. There was only so much I could go back, and didn't have time to move the car. Not only that, the light stand was in the shot so I actually framed it this way to keep it out of the frame since it was in front of the car.

If I had more time I could have planned it much better. I thought the dead tree on the left added some character to the photo. A lot to fit in a frame on this lens.

I noticed the halos too. I pulled some of the colors back, so I think this is what caused it. Plus it was late when I edited it last night :P.

Thanks for the comments guys!

*Wedding/Portraits Facebook Page* (external link) *Wedding/Portraits Blog* (external link) *Automotive Facebook Page* (external link) *Automotive Photography Blog* (external link)

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 24, 2011 12:57 |  #5

Love Dakar yellow! Just sold my Dakar M3/4/5!

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
1Dx - 1Dx - A7r - 400L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
Photography Site (external link)

VorteC
550 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 24, 2011 13:01 |  #6

Would've been a sick shot if you didn't cut the right side of the car off LOL.

ELAN SHI | PHOTOGRAPHY (external link)
Automotive / Weddings / Industrial / Corporate
PLEASE LIKE MY FACEBOOK PHOTOGRAPHY FAN PAGE!
ELAN SHI PHOTOGRAPHY ON FACEBOOK (external link)

jasio
784 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 24, 2011 13:06 |  #7

I have to say that it was good try, interesting light and colour atmosphere. But something makes picture too artificial for me and I feel a little a bit uneasy... maybe the size of shoes...

ultimachi
THREAD ­ STARTER
825 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 24, 2011 13:11 |  #8

dinanm3atl wrote in post #13298388 (external link)
Love Dakar yellow! Just sold my Dakar M3/4/5!

Such a rare breed right there! My friend just wrecked his M3/4/5. Such a nice car. I've had mine since 2006. Thinking about getting a nice 2006 M3 with the competition package....or maybe a Laguna Seca Blue.

VorteC wrote in post #13298404 (external link)
Would've been a sick shot if you didn't cut the right side of the car off LOL.

Yeah I know. We were running late to dinner as it was, and was only able to fire off about 15 shots lol. I didn't have time to reposition the light stand so this had to do lol. Definitely regret it now. Just chalk it up to shooting and learning lol

jasio wrote in post #13298431 (external link)
I have to say that it was good try, interesting light and colour atmosphere. But something makes picture too artificial for me and I feel a little a bit uneasy... maybe the size of shoes...

Lol, yeah she just bought the shoes too....pretty wild but....it is Vegas :D

mogearnotalent
771 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Oct 24, 2011 17:53 |  #9

anytime you can get your girlfriend to cooperate with photos what you have is great, significant others are the crabbiest nastiest models, your photo looks great, I like the halo effect around the car

tsong
267 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 24, 2011 20:53 |  #10

I think you did too much with the adjustment brush. It looks sloppy imo. Also cutting the car off sort of kills the shot T_T

If you upped the exposure a bit more, and cleaned it up with the brush, it might help

1013mm
231 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 25, 2011 00:56 |  #11

sad that the car was cut off.

1013MM : Photography By John Zhang (external link) :p

winam
Goldmember
1,942 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Oct 25, 2011 03:31 |  #12

I eould have placed your lady and the m3 more on the left under the tree, it would be perfect than

Canon EOS 650D, Canon EOS 1000d, SIGMA DG 18-250m, Canon 18-55mm
http://www.rene-photography.de/ (external link)
Please take a look at my Review for the awesome Daminion Server DAM-System (external link)

Agnu
779 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 25, 2011 06:10 |  #13

Sorry mate, but the halos absolutely destroy the shot for me. As does the overly bright light on the ground, uneven lighting on the girl and the fact that the M3 is cut off.

Maybe think about giving it a re-edit, using dodge/burning to neutralise the lighting on the girlie a bit, dull down the ground and kill off those halos. It may take longer to do it by hand than to do it via a program, but trust me, the end result of manual exposure blending is far more gratifying than the OTT HDR look.

Angus Scott Photography
Gripped 5DmkII | 17-40L | 35L | Sigma 50/1.4 | 135L
Bronica SQAi | 80/2.8 150/4
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link)

ultimachi
THREAD ­ STARTER
825 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 25, 2011 08:21 |  #14

tsong wrote in post #13300855 (external link)
I think you did too much with the adjustment brush. It looks sloppy imo. Also cutting the car off sort of kills the shot T_T

If you upped the exposure a bit more, and cleaned it up with the brush, it might help

Nothing was done with an adjustment brush. What I did was pull back some of the colors too much and possibly pulled back saturation too much...

winam wrote in post #13302434 (external link)
I eould have placed your lady and the m3 more on the left under the tree, it would be perfect than

I know. That's exactly what I wanted to do.....but with the limited time I had it was literally pop out of the car, throw everything up, shot about 15-20 frames, and rolled out. I might need to revisit :D

Agnu wrote in post #13302712 (external link)
Sorry mate, but the halos absolutely destroy the shot for me. As does the overly bright light on the ground, uneven lighting on the girl and the fact that the M3 is cut off.

Maybe think about giving it a re-edit, using dodge/burning to neutralise the lighting on the girlie a bit, dull down the ground and kill off those halos. It may take longer to do it by hand than to do it via a program, but trust me, the end result of manual exposure blending is far more gratifying than the OTT HDR look.

Good idea. I'm not good with dodging and burning, so I'm still learning. I'll definitely give that a try. Thanks! :D

I have another shot without the girl but with the whole car. I've yet to edit yet. So I'll be throwing that up soon.

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 25, 2011 08:25 |  #15

Yah, not a big fan of the crop or the HDR look either. It looks overcooked quite a bit here.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

5,124 views & 0 likes for this thread
Asian lady....German car. 1 shot, Dakar yellow M3. Sunset shot...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.