Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
Thread started 24 Aug 2011 (Wednesday) 01:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony a77 and 16-50 f/2.8 SSM Announced

sth_
811 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Aug 30, 2011 04:54 as a reply to  @ post 13021508 |  #106

There's no denying that the most professional DSLR you can get from Canon is a 1-series. However, I see way more professionals using bodies like the 5D Mark II than 1-series bodies.
Of course, it always depends on where you look. At a major sports event, there will most likely be more 1-series bodies present than anything else (except maybe Nikon D3s ;) ).

Flickr (external link) :: Gear

sponsored links
Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Aug 30, 2011 05:09 |  #107

KenjiS wrote in post #13021950 (external link)
Bulllll ****, The 7D and 5DII have weathersealing on the same level as the EOS-1N, Which was, at the time, a Professional camera

And it doesnt stop me:

Little hard to tell i guess but it was raining out when i took this, and yes, i shoved my 7D down into the mud to get a couple shots...

Dual card slots..fine i guess..i dont know about card failures, I've had many CF and SD cards and never had a failure...

Comment wasn't directed at you. I know you love your 7D.

And the 7D is slightly below the 1N (look at the techicals, it's missing some key seals at the shutter and tripod mount. The 5D has even fewer seals. Also, have you ever seen the rebel T2i dropped from 5500 feet video? It lived. Ever seen the T2i takes a swim video? It lived. Doesn't mean it's as statistically sound as a 7D, nor a 1D*. I'm talking about protection from events like a bridesmaid getting too drunk and pouring water on the photog. Or getting pushed into a pool. Been there done that kept shooting with a 1D*.

Gear

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,376 posts
Gallery: 559 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Aug 30, 2011 17:07 |  #108

Agreed on the shutter release lacking seals (I do have to admit i found that one out the hard way :() the flash button on the 7D also lacks sealing..

I really REALLY hope Canon ups the sealing on the 5DIII and 7DII and makes them more hardy, More pros buy and use the 5D and 7D series cameras than the 1-series because simply enough, you can have 2 of the above for the cost of 1 current 1 series, and having 2 bodies is always better than having one..

Of course the weight and size is another thing!

sorry if i sounded a bit nasty x3

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

Jericobot
Cream of the Crop
5,128 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Aug 31, 2011 04:30 |  #109

Wow this thread went all over the place...

I for one think this camera and lens combo is amazing. Just not enough for me to dive in, no real reason, just personal preference. I wonder how many shooters will give this rig a shot, pun very intended

α7ii + (batis 25 f2 / zeiss 55 f1,8 / macro 90 f2,8)
♥ ♦ ♣ ♠

K6AZ
Cream of the Crop
10,250 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2008

Sep 01, 2011 15:37 |  #110

Jericobot wrote in post #13028817 (external link)
Wow this thread went all over the place...

I for one think this camera and lens combo is amazing. Just not enough for me to dive in, no real reason, just personal preference. I wonder how many shooters will give this rig a shot, pun very intended

Why do you think it's amazing? Unless I'm mistaken they aren't even on the market yet.

Flickr (external link)

KenjiS
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Holy crap its long!"
21,376 posts
Gallery: 559 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Sep 02, 2011 02:24 |  #111

K6AZ wrote in post #13036990 (external link)
Why do you think it's amazing? Unless I'm mistaken they aren't even on the market yet.

Perhaps "potentially amazing" is more apropriate

On paper, It looks good, its a good paper dragon at the moment with the capabilities to launch a direct assault on the 7D and come out on top, and perhaps even go against the 1-series, Not win, but go against it and put up a fairly respectable fight given the price...

However thats speculation....

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

gte357s
489 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Sep 02, 2011 10:39 as a reply to  @ KenjiS's post |  #112

I am looking to upgrade my 5D MK I for some time, I am quite tempted to switch to Sony. I like the translucent mirror concept. However, as pointed out in many reviews, one of the problem is the small buffer size. I don't really need 12 FPS, 8 FPS is enough, but I hope the translucent mirror technology can give more accurate continuous focusing. And I like the continuous focusing in video too. Also, the in body stabilization and Carl Zeiss lens. If Sony can do well in the PQ including high ISO noise, I think I will switch. They also price it quite aggressively, I think.
I am waiting for both the 5D MK III and Sony A77 ... or even next Nikon D700. But please, don't give me a 30 Mbp sensor ... I don't need it.

Canon 5D MK I | Canon 24-70 F2.8 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS I | Sigma 85 F1.4 | Tamron 1.4x TC | Canon 430 EXII

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Sep 08, 2011 06:51 |  #113

i'm willing to go with an a77. i used to shoot sony and was more than happy with the results i got. the 24mp is a little too much but if the oled finder is anything like the one on the nex7 it'll be a hit.

flickr (external link)

Joris
251 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Sep 08, 2011 08:04 as a reply to  @ roosterslayer's post |  #114

Actually the OLED EVF is the same one as used in the NEX-7...:)

SimpleJack
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 24, 2011 18:07 as a reply to  @ post 13296217 |  #115

Those are some pretty bad quality images.. Makes me not wanna buy this camera..

Canon PowerShot S100

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 24, 2011 23:46 |  #116

Sp1207 wrote in post #13023398 (external link)
.... rebel T2i dropped from 5500 feet video? It lived. Ever seen the T2i takes a swim video? It lived.....

Do you have a link for those videos? I searched youtube, but couldn't find them.

Sp1207
Goldmember
1,835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 25, 2011 18:38 |  #117

That's because this thread is 18 years old and those vids have since disappeared. Here's a decent one: http://techcrunch.com …-survives-3000-foot-drop/ (external link)

Gear

sponsored links

18,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sony a77 and 16-50 f/2.8 SSM Announced
FORUMS News & Rumors Photography Industry News 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.