Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 05 Oct 2011 (Wednesday) 17:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

PowerShot S100 or iPhone 4S?

PaulRivers
193 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 24, 2011 10:51 |  #61

MikeFairbanks wrote in post #13294761 (external link)
Yes, but my OCD will go nuts if I think I'd lose a key.

You know what? Keys are so outdated. It's time for the apps to take over: our doors, cars, workplace, etc. Screw keys. What a waste they are. Everything should, at the very least, be on a combination.

The world should understand that a camera is far more important than a set of keys. keys don't help to make memories.

lol, how will you transfer your pics to your computer if you can't get in the house? I think o the topic of this thread, if someone refused to use keys they should get the iPhone because they'll be able to upload pics directly as they will now no longer have access to their computer because they can't get in their house. :D

Also, where's my flying car already? lol

sponsored links
Silverstonev8
732 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 24, 2011 17:12 |  #62

I have both the 4s and the s100. I am not crazy about the image quality from the 4s. It's great for a phone camera but IMO it doesn't come close to replacing the s100.

Chris -- Gear List

Stump
772 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 25, 2011 13:18 |  #63

Cell phone camera's are getting better at a rapid rate. I'm sure the iPhone 4s camera is very good, for what it is. My Thunderbolt camera is 8mp as well and it's not that great.

The s100 would blow away the iPhone 4s. To me, camera's on phones are irreplaceable. I have so many pictures saved from my phone that are terrible quality, but I wouldn't take anything for them. Photo's are memories too!

If you weren't comparing the iPhone 4s camera to the s100, as you later stated... Then why did you make this thread and why is it titled as "PowerShot S100 or iPhone 4S?"

6D - 50 1.8 - 50 1.4 - 70-200F4L

tgara
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 26, 2011 17:11 |  #64

Stump wrote in post #13304513 (external link)
If you weren't comparing the iPhone 4s camera to the s100, as you later stated... Then why did you make this thread and why is it titled as "PowerShot S100 or iPhone 4S?"

Quite simple:

1. As my original post states, I wanted to get people's thoughts on the iPhone 4S camera.

2. I wanted to get input on whether people thought it was capable as a serious photographic tool.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

PaulRivers
193 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 26, 2011 17:20 |  #65

tgara wrote in post #13311490 (external link)
2. I wanted to get input on whether people thought it was capable as a serious photographic tool.

You would have to define what you mean by a "serious photographic tool". For a number of people, nothing short of a full frame dslr ($2500) with l-level glass ($1500/lens, need a short zoom and a long zoom lens) and an expensive prime or two would be a "serious photographic tool".

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 26, 2011 19:16 |  #66

tgara wrote in post #13311490 (external link)
Quite simple:

1. As my original post states, I wanted to get people's thoughts on the iPhone 4S camera.

1: It sucks, even when compared to other cellphones (ie: X10, N86, etc) and especially when compared to a camera like the S100.

2: No, it's not. Anyone who even entertains the idea of an iPhone as "a serious photographic tool" probably SHOULD go with it over the S100, as they're not cut out for photography.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Peeler
270 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2010

Oct 26, 2011 19:41 as a reply to  @ PaulRivers's post |  #67

Here's a good review of the new iPhone 4S camera by DigitalRev. It looks like a pretty nice P&S alternative to me.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=Oxm-uE5ABRg (external link)

Tim
www.speednbeauty.com (external link)

tgara
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 26, 2011 21:23 |  #68

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13311969 (external link)
1: It sucks, even when compared to other cellphones (ie: X10, N86, etc) and especially when compared to a camera like the S100.

Dead wrong. If it wasn't any good, it wouldn't be used by pros like Chase Jarvis and others.

2: No, it's not. Anyone who even entertains the idea of an iPhone as "a serious photographic tool" probably SHOULD go with it over the S100, as they're not cut out for photography.

Hmmm. Then by that logic, Jarvis et al. "are not cut out for photography" despite the fact Chase is a working pro with years of experience and tons of awards who published an entire book of iPhone photos. In light of this, maybe you should reconsider that statement? Or maybe have your meds adjusted?

I'm getting tired of your attitude about this, droning on and on how the iPhone camera sucks. News flash, guy: Just because you say it and think it doesn't make it true. Objective evidence is working completely against your kind of thinking and your inane statements. As Patrick Moynihan used to say, you're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. The facts are that the camera built into this device is darn good and can take good images. Many pros agree. Many amateurs agree. Their published photos prove the point. And that's all that matters.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 26, 2011 22:20 |  #69

tgara wrote in post #13312544 (external link)
Dead wrong. If it wasn't any good, it wouldn't be used by pros like Chase Jarvis and others.

Hmmm. Then by that logic, Jarvis et al. "are not cut out for photography" despite the fact Chase is a working pro with years of experience and tons of awards who published an entire book of iPhone photos. In light of this, maybe you should reconsider that statement? Or maybe have your meds adjusted?

I'm getting tired of your attitude about this, droning on and on how the iPhone camera sucks. News flash, guy: Just because you say it and think it doesn't make it true. Objective evidence is working completely against your kind of thinking and your inane statements. As Patrick Moynihan used to say, you're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. The facts are that the camera built into this device is darn good and can take good images. Many pros agree. Many amateurs agree. Their published photos prove the point. And that's all that matters.

Dude...you keep bringing up the saaaaaaaaaame guy over and over and over. Boring. Why don't you just marry Chase? I bet an iPhone-white wedding dress would look fetching on you.

I've seen the stuff that comes out of iPhones (both online and foolishly printed and framed on my friends' walls) ... it's nothing spectacular, even in the cellphone arena, let alone when compared to a top-notch compact like the S100. It's certainly not "a serious photographic tool." It's a good go-to tool for snapshots.

Look, dude...you came on here wanting everyone to bow down to your iPhone. Now that we're not, you're all upset. That's neat and all, but just buy your damn phone and stop this silliness already. Please.

EDIT: when I was in newspapers we used to print pictures we took on our absolutely horrid Blackberrys (2 or 3MP with horrible optics, etc)...having stuff printed because there is no other alternative doesn't mean it's good. Ever heard the phrase "better than nothing"?

As for facts...go look at some ISO 12233 comparisons and other high-resolution tests and come back to me. I know more facts about the iPhone and other cellphone cameras (I researched it exhaustively before settling on my Xperia X10) than you seem to, so don't try any of that "know your facts" nonsense with me.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Oct 26, 2011 23:25 |  #70

Silverstonev8 wrote in post #13299686 (external link)
I have both the 4s and the s100. I am not crazy about the image quality from the 4s. It's great for a phone camera but IMO it doesn't come close to replacing the s100.

There ya go! Thats how Im going to satisfy this dilemma for myself, Ill own BOTH! ;)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 26, 2011 23:55 |  #71

OP, the problem here is what is "serious photography"? This is a question that plenty of ppl still debate over. Plenty of ppl debate over the merits of HDR, Film, Photoshop, Raw vs Jpg, Full Frame vs Crop vs Medium, Point and Shoot vs DSLR, Point and shoot vs phone etc.

What Chase and some other photographers did was to show that a camera phone or iPhone can be used for photography, especially for composition purposes. Chase showed that you don't need pro glass to make interesting photos. He never claimed that a camera phone was better in terms of dynamic range, optics or sensors. He never claimed that the iPhone was his camera of choice for photography either. He's still shooting with DSLRs.

This question of "serious" photography is something you have to answer yourself. What you do with your craft and what you like is up to you. its subjective. But the facts however are plain and simple. As a camera, the s100 is better than the iPhone in almost every conceivable technical measurement.

on a side note, i havnt seen anyone ask: "can i replace my dslr with the s100?" yet

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

padmasana
52 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 27, 2011 07:32 |  #72

I've gotten some nice shots from the iPhone 4s, but having the ability to manipulate the exposure (this is with an S95) can sure make the iPhone 4s look like a dog at times:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 27, 2011 07:33 |  #73

imjason wrote in post #13313202 (external link)
OP, the problem here is what is "serious photography"? This is a question that plenty of ppl still debate over. Plenty of ppl debate over the merits of HDR, Film, Photoshop, Raw vs Jpg, Full Frame vs Crop vs Medium, Point and Shoot vs DSLR, Point and shoot vs phone etc.

What Chase and some other photographers did was to show that a camera phone or iPhone can be used for photography, especially for composition purposes. Chase showed that you don't need pro glass to make interesting photos. He never claimed that a camera phone was better in terms of dynamic range, optics or sensors. He never claimed that the iPhone was his camera of choice for photography either. He's still shooting with DSLRs.

This question of "serious" photography is something you have to answer yourself. What you do with your craft and what you like is up to you. its subjective. But the facts however are plain and simple. As a camera, the s100 is better than the iPhone in almost every conceivable technical measurement.

on a side note, i havnt seen anyone ask: "can i replace my dslr with the s100?" yet

Well said. After this, we're beating a dead horse.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

spear
559 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 27, 2011 13:16 |  #74

padmasana wrote in post #13314166 (external link)
I've gotten some nice shots from the iPhone 4s, but having the ability to manipulate the exposure (this is with an S95) can sure make the iPhone 4s look like a dog at times:

Try the application ProHDR, I bet that for the type of picture you have here you will get a result that will get your attention.

Canon 40D, 5DII, 5DIII, G9,G11,S100,G1X, Canon lenses 600mmL f/4 ,24mm-105L f/4, 16-35L II f/2.8, 70-200L II f/2.8, EF 100mm f/2.8, EF 50 f/1.4,17-85 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 580 EX, 2x 580 EXII, 270EX,STE2, 1. 4x Converter, 2.0x Converter. Nikon 800E w/Nikkor 24-70

Tarzanman
548 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 27, 2011 14:01 |  #75

Why would anyone with an understanding of how cameras work argue about the merits of a cell phone camera with tiny optics, a tiny sensor and a HUGE honking piece of thick glass in front of the objective lens?

If you're an iPhone fan-boy, then go to Hawaii and marry your phone and stop trying to convince the rest of us to respect a cell phone as a camera.

I'll start using an iphone to take photos when they add an SD card slot and optical zoom. Otherwise, keep your iLove to yourself and let the rest of us get back to discussing real cameras.

sponsored links

27,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
PowerShot S100 or iPhone 4S?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.