Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Oct 2011 (Monday) 23:53
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which Remote Trigger do You Use?"
Canon IR (ST-E2/ 580EXii/ 7D/ 60D as Trigger)
6.4%
Pocketwizard II
8.5%
Pocketwizard Control-TL
17%
Radio Poppers
10.6%
Cybersyncs (Paul Buff)
21.3%
Yungnou
31.9%
FireXwire (Quantum)
0%
Skyport (Elinchrom)
4.3%

47 voters, 47 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Remote Triggers

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 25, 2011 12:45 |  #16

Peacefield wrote in post #13303424 (external link)
Me, too, though I have the I version.

Traded in my Cybersyncs for them and am absolutely delighted. No ETTL, but that's okay since I normally shoot M. What I like best is that the transmitter has a hotshoe and ETTL data passes through. This allows you to still use the on camera flash in ETTL and you still get the focus assist beam. That and the price make these the right choice for me.

The pass through ETTL is a HUGE plus.. I do not have them but I may have to switch.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,309 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 25, 2011 12:48 |  #17

Another Cactus V5 user here. I have so far been really happy with their performance.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 25, 2011 13:15 |  #18

scorpio_e wrote in post #13304324 (external link)
The pass through ETTL is a HUGE plus.. I do not have them but I may have to switch.

You know what, I thought so too, until I found a better way to do it. I have my flash on camera (as usual) and attach the trigger through the PC port. If you do it this way, make sure you get a locking PC cable - i got mine from flash zebra - and then find a way to secure it to your flash/camera. I use a small bungee cord to bungee it to my flash.

I actually like this way better now, even though it takes a few minutes to set up. I feel my flash is more secure on the hotshoe rather than a few inches up on a cheaper hotshoe.

gjl711 wrote in post #13304336 (external link)
Another Cactus V5 user here. I have so far been really happy with their performance.

When I had a problem with the triggers overheating, they told me they have fixed the problem and had mine replace no problem. I find they are great, and its really interesting to see them making silent improvements (fixed the battery door, solved the overheating problem, etc) without telling anyone. They are a stronger unit now than they were when they first were announced.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

TheMaggedy
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 25, 2011 16:12 |  #19

I thought I might be a pocket wizard hater because I was having big problems controlling multiple remote flashes when practicing for an upcoming wedding. The flashes would trigger just fine with the PW in the hotshoe of my 5D2 but as soon as I mounted an on camera flash and plugged the PW into the PC port on the 5D2, the PWs would only fire some of the time. But it worked fine for my second shooter (Nikon D80, go figure). Getting a screwlock cable from flash zebra seemed to solve the problem. The only issues we had at the wedding this weekend was that from time to time we overheated the flashes because 2 of us were triggering them. But the Plus IIs worked great. I shot a Canon 5D2 with a 430Ex II on camera, my second shooter was on a D90 with a YN560 on camera, and we used 3 YN560s on stands with PW PlusIIs. Worked great.

5D MkII | 5D MkIII | 24-70 2.8L Mk II | 50L | 85 1.8 | 135L | 70-200 2.8L Mk II | 580 EX II | YN560 x 2 | PW Plus III
http://mairimages.com (external link)

windpig
Chopped liver
14,889 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 25, 2011 16:42 |  #20

Skyports
Radio Popper Jr. Studio
ST-E2

It just depends on what Flash/flashes I'm using
I'm definitely going to be looking at the PW mini's with the AC3 though

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 25, 2011 19:16 |  #21

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13304495 (external link)
I feel my flash is more secure on the hotshoe rather than a few inches up on a cheaper hotshoe.

On the Stratos, the hot shoe is right over the original hotshoe; I tend to not even bother changing out the trigger when I don't need it because it's completely incidental. I've been really happy with the quality and reliability.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Oct 25, 2011 20:13 |  #22

wdwpsu wrote in post #13301851 (external link)
I totally bought in to the Control TL system by PocketWizard. It's reliability has been suspect all along. As a result, I'm thinking it's time to move on.

I don't care so much about the price as much as I want the reliability.

By the Control TL system, are you referring to the Flex units? I have three Flex TT5 units and they work whenever they feel like it, not whenever I need them to (which is all the time!)

Yes, reliability would be so nice. I've gotten used to my TT5 units misbehaving but they really should just work, all the time, forever (especially at that price! Plus an AC3 Zone Controller). Too much $$ invested to quit on them yet but man, are they frustrating!
Wish I'd never sold my 550 flash

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

wdwpsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
625 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 27, 2011 09:26 |  #23

PhotoMatte wrote in post #13306640 (external link)
By the Control TL system, are you referring to the Flex units? I have three Flex TT5 units and they work whenever they feel like it, not whenever I need them to (which is all the time!)

Yes, reliability would be so nice. I've gotten used to my TT5 units misbehaving but they really should just work, all the time, forever (especially at that price! Plus an AC3 Zone Controller). Too much $$ invested to quit on them yet but man, are they frustrating!
Wish I'd never sold my 550 flash

Yes. Sounds like we're in similar shoes. That's why I'm looking for an alternative.

Wedding and Event Photography ∙ Orlando, Florida ∙ DSWfoto.com (external link)
Blog (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)

rincon
240 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 27, 2011 16:51 |  #24

I shoot manual for all my OCF, therefore the Yongnuo have been perfect for my needs. I have only had them for about 6 months, but they have been rock-solid so far.

seattle1
290 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2010

Oct 27, 2011 16:57 |  #25

nicksan wrote in post #13303519 (external link)
Cybersyncs work well for me.

Me too as well.

sponsored links

2,725 views & 0 likes for this thread
Remote Triggers
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.