Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 31 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 14:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: |-Lost Files On Your Card?-| ::Click Here::

~Katja~
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 04, 2011 09:12 |  #61

Looks like Photo Rescue can still read the files and hopefully recover. If you experience any lag with your usb drives lately, check the last update that was pushed, I think it is where all trouble begins.

sponsored links
LONETRAVELER
33 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Sep 08, 2011 07:32 |  #62

gool wrote in post #7641730 (external link)
http://www.cgsecurity.​org/wiki/PhotoRec (external link)

Good free software that works well.

Thanks for this info! Just saved me alot of time and money!!! I just recovered 300 photos from a photo session 2 days ago. This was a total life saver!!!!

7D w/grip | 17-55 F2.8| 50 F1.4 | 70-200 F4L IS ii | 100mm F2.8L IS macro | 580EX II | 550EX

DanVoils
20 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 27, 2011 20:32 |  #63

I have used Digital Picture Recovery from www.dtidata.com (external link) many times for people who have accidentally deleted needed photos.
Dan

nikhilnh
421 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 26, 2012 09:23 |  #64

Hard drive partitions screwed by a kid and saved by "get data back NTFS" from runtime.org. The software was simply amazing, I was able to recover most of the stuff.

Thanks POTN for the help. I am showing my appreciation with a small contribution to POTN.

FLICKR [  (external link)Feedback]

Tdragone
Goldmember
2,188 posts
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 26, 2012 09:25 |  #65

I love that GetDataBack so much I have bought the fat and ntfs versions. It's helped me fix countless pc's that friends have tried to "fix" on their own In the past. I've never used it on memory cards though. Hmmmm....

-Tom Dragonetti
Spyder Holster + 1Dmk IV, 50D, G11
10-22, 16-35 2.8Lii, , 24-70 2.8Lii, 50mm 1.4,
70-200 2.8Lii IS, 100-400L IS
1.4x TC, 580EX ii, ST-E2

gtrman1
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 02, 2012 07:44 as a reply to  @ Tdragone's post |  #66

I tried every program here to recover and nothing works....I took 180 pics and only 23 showed up when downloaded on a Toshiba chip no name card ( my first mistake). Whe I went to look at the restof the pics on the computer, they said they were corrupted. They still show various sizes as if there is something there.Downloaded a hex editor and shows that the data is all zeroes, no hex info whatsoever on the remaining 157 pics and video using Canon T1I. The camera batts in the grip where about 40-50% full and the 32 GIG had about 10 GIGS used. Maybe I should have formatted before the new set. The others were already downloaded previously, just not deleted. I junked the card and got a Sandisk Extreme 64 now with Rescuepro installed.
Heard that low batteries and an unfreshly fomatted card were my probs. Stiil got 6 gigs of air that has some size tho....just no data.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 23, 2012 07:15 |  #67

It hurts to lose images.
Even more when wife comes to know...

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

angela22
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2013

Aug 16, 2013 04:51 |  #68

You may follow this memory card data recovery (external link) blog which contains step by step guide for how to recover lost data from memory card, helped me before. The memory card data recovery guides are easy to follow and works well.
http://memorycardrecov​eryblog.blogspot.com (external link)

useful information if you need to recover data from memory card.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Aug 16, 2013 10:47 |  #69

angela22 wrote in post #16212457 (external link)
what if I have already used the card? all files are gone?

Possibly. It depends on how full it was to begin with and what you did to prepare it for re-use. If you filled it up again, or have an SD-card and low-level reformatted it, then you probably won't be able to get anything back. If you just deleted all the files and have only taken a couple of pictures since then, your chances of salvaging the older pictures are pretty good.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

USA!USA!
193 posts
Joined May 2013

Oct 08, 2013 03:07 |  #70

After using the PC Inspector to recover my deleted files on SD card for my Canon.
When i go to my DPP software to view,edit and convert my files the TIFF files just shows grey box with lines and then i get a error says DPP has stopped responding program must close.... Whats going on ??

My camera is a part of my body only nicer...

Christopher23
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Oct 11, 2013 12:14 |  #71

Don't you backup your files just in case?, I started it recently after my camera just decided not to work anymore and card did not give any connection.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,573 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 22, 2014 22:38 |  #72

I'm really amazed at how powerful some of this s/w is.

I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB CF that I've used extensively for a little over a year. I lost several hundred files off one of my hard disks due to MBR problems but then thought perhaps I could pull those same recent files from the card. I'd shot these particular pictures about 40 days ago, had probably formatted the card at least 3-4 times since then, deleted a bunch, and used that same card on multiple occasions.

I downloaded Rescue Pro Deluxe from Sandisk and after about 30 minutes of deep scanning it had recovered most the files. Even multiple formats didn't prevent it from pulling back many of the recent files.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

narlus
Cream of the Crop
7,661 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 14, 2014 09:23 |  #73

gool wrote in post #7641730 (external link)
http://www.cgsecurity.​org/wiki/PhotoRec (external link)

Good free software that works well.

another ringing endorsement for PhotoRec, although i wasn't using it on a CF card but on a hard drive.

i had a terrible 'oh sh1t' moment when i first installed my Drobo last week...i put 3 brand new 4TB drives in it, but the formatting of the drives didn't quite go as planned and the drive letter was never associated to it. i finally got that sorted but then didn't realize (height of stupidity here) that you had to transfer files to the Drobo, rather than just sticking in a drive into one of the bays and copying them internally.

no, that will format the drive.

and i did that w/ a full 2TB drive. whose external drive backups had failed (click of death) a few months ago.

yeah, height of stupidity. i had a good view from up there.

but photorec (after ~30+ hr) scanned and retrieved 151,000 files for me. free. beats the $700-$2700 quote i received from a data retrieval service.

highest recommendation.

www.tinnitus-photography.com (external link)
Facebook link (external link)

gear list

geek2
81 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 18, 2014 01:47 |  #74

I recently had to recover video files from my Lexar Professional 600x card. Earlier in the day I took a few short videos and mistakenly formatted the card a few hours later. I had some luck with PhotoRec in the past, but this time the videos that it had recovered weren't playable. After trying other apps, I stumbled upon the free version of EaseUS. Luckily, the files that it recovered were intact. Give it a try the next time you need an app to recover your files.

Gear
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Cheetah Light CL-360
Past Bodies
450D. 7D. 5D2. 60D. G15. RX100ii. 70D. RX100iii

ceegee
Goldmember
2,320 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 20, 2015 17:13 |  #75

When we came back from vacation last summer, I left my CF card overnight in the card-reader slot of my computer, and it got corrupted by a virus. All the files (several hundred of them) disappeared. I decontaminated the card with my anti-virus program, and it detected the files even though they weren't visible. The card also showed as full on the desktop. To recover the images, I first tried Kingston MediaRecover, which found and recovered the files but put them in an unreadable format. I then downloaded the demonstrator version Sandisk RescuePro Standard version, and it was able to recover all my images in readable format. I was only able to save 25 images with the demonstrator version but could see it had recovered all of them, so I purchased the full version for $39 was able to save the whole set.

RescuePro is very simple to use and extremely effective. If your images are worth $39 to you, I highly recommend it!

Gear: Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24 f/4, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-300L, Canon 60 macro f/2.8, Speedlite 580 EXII, 2x AB800

Website (external link)

sponsored links

121,894 views & 1 like for this thread
|-Lost Files On Your Card?-| ::Click Here::
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.