Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 22:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding expos for a newer photographer

brit84
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 25, 2011 22:44 |  #1

There is a big wedding expo coming up in January and I am unsure about paying for a booth to attend as a photographer.

I have been shooting for over ten years but only doing wedding for the past two. The booth is 600 plus 130 for an eigth (170 for a quarter)page ad in the magazine going with it.

I know booking one wedding from it would pay off the cost, but Im still unsure.

What are your experiences at these types of shows/expos?

Thanks!

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Oct 26, 2011 12:13 |  #2

These are great opportunities for those that take the time to really work the crowd. I've done several of these over the years and they paid off great. It is not uncommon to come out of the event with firm bookings. This is business and sometimes you have to spend some to make some. Anyone who is serious about wedding photography should really consider these but it would make sense to try and talk to a participant from previous years to gauge what the attendance has been.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

cabinajm
812 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 26, 2011 12:41 |  #3

I'd say do it. If you can pay it back in one session, then it's worth the money, especially if it gets you more business. Best place to flash your trade is at a trade show.

-Chris
A couple Canons, a flash, a bunch of lenses and LIGHTS!
Silverstar Media : Photography - Web Design - Technology Support (external link)

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 26, 2011 22:15 |  #4

I just did one this weekend. They are great not just for meeting potential clients but also for networking with local vendors. I found a videographer who's been around for years who just had their associate photographer move away and they went to the show to find a new one and picked me. I also met some hair stylists and a minister who took my cards and I took theirs.

Thus far I haven't gotten any bookings from it, but I had some very interested brides.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

supernova74
957 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 27, 2011 01:15 |  #5

Ha I'm looking into doing the same thing!

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebook (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2011 06:36 |  #6

I don't do them... I have done two in the past however I have found other means of advertising (Facebook Ads and Google Ads) are much more cost effective and produce better returns per advertising/marketing dollar.

Peter

brit84
THREAD ­ STARTER
382 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 27, 2011 20:51 |  #7

Thanks for the responses folks. This one is operated by the local paper and their publisher. they are putting in 50k in advertising around the whole region I live in (about 1000km north-south and same east-west if that makes sense). It has been going for 21 years too.

5DIII/grip |5DII/grip | 40D/grip | 17-40L| 24-70L 2.8 II|70-200L IS f2.8 II | 580EXII x2 | Lensbaby composer | Benro 358 w/ Q3 | 2 Einsteins/Vagabond mini.
Facebook (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links

636 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding expos for a newer photographer
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.