Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 00:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Which body to get

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 27, 2011 11:29 |  #16

Zigot wrote in post #13314985 (external link)
I will pick a 7D over 60D :
Scroll wheel, features, AF system, build.
Something he can easily grow with and will last him a long while before he get bitten by the upgrade bug.

I strongly disagree simply due to this statement that the OP made: "He has never really used a DSLR before and wants a camera he can grow into and not need to replace any time soon."

The 7D was never intended for someone who is just starting out, hence the classification "Prosumer"; Rebel series and/or 60D however were designed specifically for this crowd. I started with the T1i and then progressed to the 60D; my next step will be full frame as my style, or passion has been discovered by using these relatively user-friendly bodies. Now that I know what type of photography I lean towards, I can make a more intelligent decision on my next upgrade; that won't happen until I can support the move to full frame with a stable of quality lenses.

Just my 2cp - take it for what it's worth.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
butterfly2937
Cream of the Crop
7,086 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 27, 2011 11:53 as a reply to  @ Rocky Rhode's post |  #17

The 7D has MA. If you are ever going to use primes MA is really a must. Even some zooms can benefit from MA. The 50D does have MA so you could pic up one used.

Rocky ­ Rhode
Goldmember
1,416 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 27, 2011 16:27 |  #18

butterfly2937 wrote in post #13315342 (external link)
The 7D has MA. If you are ever going to use primes MA is really a must. Even some zooms can benefit from MA. The 50D does have MA so you could pic up one used.

Assuming again, that someone who knows almost nothing about DSLR's would understand the benefit and the need of MFA, let alone how to perform the adjustment on a lens. 50D is an excellent camera, but lacks the ability to do Video. For a person breaking into the market for the first time having a camera that provides most of the bells and whistles without the finer technical aspects of the more dedicated bodies. Again, why Canon, Nikon ect all have their entry level cameras containing many of the abilities of the more advanced bodies; yet, don't require a PHD in photography to operate.

GEAR LIST Flickr (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 27, 2011 19:24 |  #19

Iscariotau wrote in post #13313291 (external link)
My brother is thinking of picking up a new body. I shoot Nikon so feel comfortable making a recommendation however he wants to (rightfully) consider Canon as well.

His budget is no more than $2000 AUD.

I was thinking either the

7D (first canon pick) or the 60D

He has never really used a DSLR before and wants a camera he can grow into and not need to replace any time soon.

What are your thoughts on these two choices? What else would you suggest?

If he's starting from scratch then he doesn't have any lenses. And the lenses will be much more important than the body.

For bang for the buck, combined with a decent size and good ergonomics, I'd say he'd be best off picking up a 40D if he can find one for a decent price. They seem to be going for around $400 USD. For lenses, he should start with the "nifty trio": the 18-55 IS, the 55-250 IS, and the 50 f/1.8.

Once he knows what he's doing and has a better idea of what he likes to shoot, he'll have a better idea of what other lenses and accessories to go for. The 40D will work very nicely for nearly everything he can throw at it.

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
17,291 posts
Gallery: 444 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 27, 2011 19:28 |  #20

if he wants to be able to borrow lenses from you, he should get a nikon body.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIV/A73//A6000/FDR-X3000 | Sigma105 | FE1635F4 } Tamron 17-28 Tamron 28-75 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

Iscariotau
THREAD ­ STARTER
516 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 27, 2011 19:56 |  #21

vinmunoz wrote in post #13317549 (external link)
if he wants to be able to borrow lenses from you, he should get a nikon body.

Agreed and pointed that out but he did not want that to be the deciding factor, only a consideration.

MyFlickr (external link)

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Oct 27, 2011 21:20 |  #22

Another vote for 40D and glass. Upgrade the camera when experience dictates the direction to go.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

cedm
629 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 27, 2011 22:05 |  #23

Iscariotau wrote in post #13317684 (external link)
Agreed and pointed that out but he did not want that to be the deciding factor, only a consideration.

I was going to post a similar comment. What makes photography an expensive hobby is the amount you need to spend to get a decent range of lenses. Since you guys are brothers, it makes a lot of sense to get bodies from the same brand and save on accessories cost (not just lenses, but flashes and maybe even batteries).

It's a real shame that the top manufacturers didn't agree on a standard lens mount format. Once you decide on a brand, you're pretty much stuck to it...

Canon or Nikon, it's the same thing really, both have equally good cameras. That said, I have a Canon 60D (coming from a 400D), and really like it: it's full featured enough and not too big nor pricey. A good compromise between entry-level DSLR and "pro" ones I reckon.

My gear: EOS 60D | EF-S 10-18 STM | Tamron 17-50 F/2.8 | EF-S 24 STM | EF 50 F/1.8 | EF-S 55-250 IS | EF 100 F/2.8 macro | 430EX.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 28, 2011 02:19 |  #24

Kevan wrote in post #13314327 (external link)
Personally, I think the 7D can be a bit intimidating, especially for someone who has never used a dslr before. If he can rely on your expertise to get used to it, fine, but otherwise he could save some coin and still get awesome shots with a lesser (easier) box. I think the 7D is more suited to the confirmed photo-nut or pro. Then there's the pp software he needs to learn too. Gulp!

It would be a shame to have such a camera and never take it out of automatic. It just might crush his enthusiasm.

Agreed.

A co-worker of mine brought me a "Canon DSLR, good professional one that [his cousin] sold him for a good price" and needed help understanding how to take just a simple photo cause he pushed something... well, turned out it was a 7D and had changed it to TV or M and set the shutter speed to something slow and he couldn't figure out how to take a picture with it. I took it and played with it for about an hour and i still felt like the thing just stumped me with all the bells and whistles hanging off of it. I've only used a XTi, XSi, T2i, 40D and 5D so i know how to use a camera but it was pretty confusing at first on the 7D. I woulda figured it out if you gave me a week of owning it but i know how to operate one already.

My Co-worker ended up selling it about two weeks later cause he screwed around with the settings again and didn't want to mess with it anymore cause it was just frustrating to him. He had some experience with a Nikon D40 (?) that his wife used but only used Green Box Mode and Program.

butterfly2937 wrote in post #13315342 (external link)

MA sounds cool but how many times have we seen new users on the forum posting "My lens was back-focusing, see how blurry it is? I MA'd it to 20+ and ill post another picture at ISO 3200, F/22 with a 3 second SS and see if it will stop having focus issues"
By the time he learns what to do on a cheaper body but better glass, the 7D will be reduced in price used and he can use the money now for good glass and have it when he feels ready for a 7D or 1D/5D when he is ready and understands what those little dials do.

BTW People have been shooting without MA for how long now so how is it a must? I have never MA'd a lens before and i haven't had focus issues on my handful of lenses over the last 5ish years of owning a DSLR.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

west1835
53 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 28, 2011 02:49 |  #25

tonylong wrote in post #13313310 (external link)
Hmm, the 7D is really designed to be a high-performance camera with particular strengths in thing such as sports and wildlife shooting.

For a "general purpose" camera that can also function in those areas, the 50D or 60D are quite adequate. There are some differences between the two, such as the articulated screen on the 60D. or the magnesium body on the 50D, and the fact that the 60D has video and I don't believe the 50D does (although the 7D does)

So, there are things to juggle around!

+1 like he said

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,256 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 28, 2011 03:22 |  #26

I've been using a pair of 7Ds for a couple years and would never recommend the model for a new DSLR user. 7D is designed assuming some fairly advanced level of experience. It is not a simple or easy camera to use... It's rather complex to meet the needs of pros who want to tweak their camera for particular situations, and know how to do so. It doesn't have some of the common shortcuts or automation that the "lesser" models do... Instead it has user-programmable shortcuts.

The 60D would be a much "friendlier" camera to start with. 50D wouldn't be a bad choice either and can still be found new some places.

And if his entire budgest it $2000 Aus., then I'd really point toward saving as much as possible on the camera and putting more into lenses. They will ultimately make more difference, that the camera body will. In fact, 7D, 60D, T3i/600D and T2i/550D all share virtually the same sensor and processor, can deliver nearly identical images. 50D also uses the same processor and has one generation older and slightly lower resolution senor, that's still quite capable. Auto focus on the 7D is quite complex (19 points, all "cross type", 5 modes in addition to the basic One Shot and AI Servo, and a separate dedicated processor for AF). It's simpler, but nearly as quick and responsive on 60D and 50D (9-point, all "cross type", just two modes plus One Shot/AI Servo). It's even simpler on the xxxD/Rebel models (9-points, only the center one is "cross type", two modes plus One Shot/AI Servo) and they have a penta-mirror, instead of a pentaprism, so their viewfinders aren't as large or bright.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

riotshield
425 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 28, 2011 08:01 as a reply to  @ amfoto1's post |  #27

I would personally get a D7000. That was the body I wanted to get until I discovered the 60D on the Canon Loyalty Program (refurbished for ~$680 after tax). The D7000 seems like a bigger bang for the buck than the 7D unless you are a dedicated fast action shooter.

Rrudo74901
93 posts
Joined May 2011

Oct 28, 2011 09:25 |  #28

I purchased the 60D as my first DSLR and upgraded to the 7D within 4 months. I primarily shoot my kids sports but the 7D is fine all around. Save yourself some time and money and just get the 7D, but if you choosen the 60D, you cannot go wrong either, both solid.

1D Mark IV / 7D / 50mm 1.4 / 24-70mm 2.8 L / 24-105mm L / 100-400mm L IS / 300mm 2.8 L IS / 1.4 III TC

HSCanon1d
60 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 28, 2011 10:52 |  #29

I've been spoiled by the 1D series, so I would recommend a 1D if you've got the cash.

CactusJuice
853 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 28, 2011 11:03 |  #30

Sounds like the 7D is way too much camera in this case. Get a T2i and with the money saved you can get an extra lens...or two!

Who knows where his interests will be in a couple of years. He might want a different body, different brand...or maybe find he's not even using the camera that much.

sponsored links

3,600 views & 0 likes for this thread
Which body to get
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.