Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 18:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

B&H Photography

Gomar
527 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 27, 2011 22:40 |  #16

Why would someone not local buy from B&H at all? I go there alot as I live in NYC. But I wouldnt buy from a place in LA or Boston or Miami even if the price was $5 less. It's a hassle. Ye, I dont pay tax if out of state; but the hassle of returning items turns me off.

sponsored links
seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 27, 2011 23:00 |  #17

This is directly from the UPS website:
Note: Prior to the first delivery attempt, contact the sender to request a change in delivery instructions or to correct your delivery address.

I contact B&H and they give the run around. I requested that they attempt to this for me but basically refused to do it.

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

Oct 27, 2011 23:53 |  #18

seaninsa wrote in post #13317178 (external link)
I notified them that no one would be home and to contact UPS to see if they can schedule a later delivery date. B&H and refused to notify them.

UPS will make a first delivery attempt and, if no one is available sign for the package, will leave a Door Tag whereas, you could've called UPS to arrange for Pick-Up/Will Call at the Center.

However, this is NOT an option per B&H - see link at bottom of this post.

seaninsa wrote in post #13317225 (external link)
Nope UPS will not take the request from the person it is being delivered to. They are pretty much aholes when dealing with them. The request has to come from the sender :(.

Really? UPS is the problem here? They are following instructions from B&H.

seaninsa wrote in post #13317395 (external link)
I had once contacted UPS to try and get an item delivered and they would not come back out. They follow a route and that is it. Trust me here in the US they are not so customer friendly.

With UPS deliveries you never know what time they will come by either.

Years ago, I was a FedEx courier for several years - if we had a missed delivery with the customer calling for a re-attempt delivery, we might try depending on how much we had to deliver.

Yes, UPS (and FedEx) have routes to follow with OTHER customers waiting for deliveries. Back in the day, FedEx may have been a bit flexible regarding re-attempts but I know from hard experience that UPS is not.

seaninsa wrote in post #13318569 (external link)
This is directly from the UPS website:
Note: Prior to the first delivery attempt, contact the sender to request a change in delivery instructions or to correct your delivery address.

I contact B&H and they give the run around. I requested that they attempt to this for me but basically refused to do it.

You cannot request that UPS deliver your package at a specific time.

You might want to read B&H's site, under Help Center, Shipping & Delivery, Shipping Options:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …pping.jsp#shipp​ingOptions (external link)

UPS

• Guaranteed delivery time.
  • A signature is required upon delivery. Packages cannot be rerouted or picked up from UPS. Please make sure that someone will be at the shipping destination to receive the package and sign for it.
  • If you have a UPS account you can enter your account number on our Shipping Method page during Checkout and you will not be charged any shipping fees by B&H. Account numbers will be verified with UPS. (Only available in the U.S.)
  • UPS Mail Innovations works with the U.S. Postal Service, UPS provides the pick-up, processing, and interim transportation of parcel/package, with final delivery being made by the U.S. Postal Service.

I get your angry about the situation but B&H has their policy in place for a reason.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2011 06:23 |  #19

I don't understand the returned part? Returned where? If UPS tries to deliver from B&H or anywhere else and I am not home I get a document telling me when the next delivery attempt will be. I call UPS and tell them I'll pick it up. They make arrangements to get if off the truck that evening and I then I pick it up the next day. I have been doing that for years.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,579 posts
Gallery: 328 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Oct 28, 2011 09:38 |  #20

Karl C wrote in post #13318781 (external link)
You might want to read B&H's site, under Help Center, Shipping & Delivery, Shipping Options:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …pping.jsp#shipp​ingOptions (external link)

UPS
  • Guaranteed delivery time.
  • A signature is required upon delivery. Packages cannot be rerouted or picked up from UPS. Please make sure that someone will be at the shipping destination to receive the package and sign for it.
  • If you have a UPS account you can enter your account number on our Shipping Method page during Checkout and you will not be charged any shipping fees by B&H. Account numbers will be verified with UPS. (Only available in the U.S.)
  • UPS Mail Innovations works with the U.S. Postal Service, UPS provides the pick-up, processing, and interim transportation of parcel/package, with final delivery being made by the U.S. Postal Service.
I get your angry about the situation but B&H has their policy in place for a reason.

I don't think that is true. They leave a note saying they tried to deliver and they will try again for 3 days. They also leave instructions for picking up from the depot that evening. I have done that several times, even with shipments from B&H.

OP: Amazon requires signatures on certain value shipments as well. Most online retailers do to protect you both. Hard to get mad at them for something that is a common practice. I get that you asked them to contact UPS to change it, but as someone else stated, they ship so much stuff it would be hard to expect them to do that. You tried, now wait for your first failed delivery attempt and call the number on the note they leave to get further options.

Canon EOS M6 - EOS R - EF, EF-M and RF lenses
Donate for Forum Costs

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 28, 2011 09:52 as a reply to  @ randy98mtu's post |  #21

The bottom line is that UPS makes deliveries when us that work are not there to sign for it. There depot hours are horrible for my schedule. I do audit for a living and am not home or get off at a decent time to even attempt to get to their depot.

I understand that UPS makes hundreds of thousands of deliveries a day. It would be nice if there was a way if you missed it and got home to be able to call them and say I am home now and can you re-deliver. At the end of the day, I will not be able to get my product the product will end up being returned to B&H.

Who benefits from that? No one benefits..but what I didn't like was B&H's whole attitude. They do not even have the balls to pick up the phone and call me. I tried to cancel the shipment but B&H said to late as well.

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 28, 2011 11:04 as a reply to  @ seaninsa's post |  #22

This is an issue with UPS, not B&H. The easy way to solve it is to leave a note on your front door labeled "UPS" in big letters so they can't miss it. Sign your signature to it and ask that they accept it as your signature for delivery. The UPS drivers in my area have never had a problem with that, they'll deliver the package and take your note.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

nrowensby
Goldmember
3,995 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 28, 2011 11:09 |  #23

Sounds more like B&H is having a bad experiance with you... not the other way around.

--Nick's Marketplace Feedback--
[Insert witty quote here]

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 28, 2011 11:35 |  #24

Well Nick I guess you don't believe in customer service. That is why I will take my business somewhere else and not deal with them.

Paolo.Leviste
934 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Oct 28, 2011 12:08 |  #25

seaninsa wrote in post #13320622 (external link)
Well Nick I guess you don't believe in customer service. That is why I will take my business somewhere else and not deal with them.

You'll get the same thing with Adorama and/or Amazon on certain items. I've always just let them leave it on my doorstep when I know no one is there to sign for it.

If you cannot get the item delivered to your home, do you have a friend who WOULD be home to sign for it? If you do, then reorder from whoever you'll be ordering from next and have them sign and you can pick up at their house. Inconvenient, yes, but at least you'll get your product.

Don't think that UPS will just turn on a dime when you get home from your "bad" work hours to try and redeliver. They are a business and I can say they're all about efficiency. Would you turn around and come back if a client said they'd be ready if they're no longer in your area?

Work with the system, not against it. It's not worth the headache or the anger. :)

[Canon 5DII/30D | 24-70 f2.8L | Σ 30 f1.4 | Σ 50 f1.4 | 70-200 f4L | 580EX II ]
3.Hundred.6.SIX (external link)
SmugMug (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2011 12:18 |  #26

I can't see any courier business coming back to re-deliver a missed delivery when it is convenient for the customer. That would be chaos. They would would go under. All the drivers have specified routes they follow every day. I think I recall trying to change the delivery address the first time using B&H. It did not work out. Personally I prefer they take the package after the first attempt rather than leave out there. It's no big deal to pick it up.

Image Editing OK

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Oct 28, 2011 12:35 |  #27

nrowensby wrote in post #13320496 (external link)
Sounds more like B&H is having a bad experiance with you... not the other way around.

+1 that is what I am thinking. Even if B&H could make the request of UPS, and they can't, due to their volume of shipments I suspect, UPS cannot guarantee a specific time for delivery.

Best, Bruce

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2011 12:51 |  #28

Gizmo1137 wrote in post #13320871 (external link)
UPS cannot guarantee a specific time for delivery.

Right to that as well. I don't own stock in the company and I don't care one way or the other but trying to set specific delivery times for when people are home? I would not run that type of business that way. Imagine how many people would say they would leave work, etc and be home at a specific time and not show up while vehicles are running randomly all over the city.

Image Editing OK

seaninsa
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,565 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 28, 2011 13:41 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #29

I understand your points and they are well taken. I had emailed B&H and said well just cancel the order if there is no way you can have it delivered at 6pm. They said oh well it has shipped. They can put in a request on the UPS website to it returned to them.

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Oct 28, 2011 14:01 |  #30

Gomar wrote in post #13318481 (external link)
Why would someone not local buy from B&H at all? I go there alot as I live in NYC. But I wouldnt buy from a place in LA or Boston or Miami even if the price was $5 less. It's a hassle. Ye, I dont pay tax if out of state; but the hassle of returning items turns me off.

Duh.....because we do not all live in NY! Never had a problem with UPS, they leave a note, I go by and pick it up, NP.

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

sponsored links

3,818 views & 0 likes for this thread
B&H Photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.