Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 27 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 00:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need some advice on what to do about my wedding photographs.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 27, 2011 22:02 |  #46

iluxa007 wrote in post #13318075 (external link)
Wow, I feel sorry for you. I think you paid way too much for this photographer. I shoot weddings as well and I'm 21 years old. I will be shooting a wedding this weekend for only $800. Price includes angagement shoot also with an engagement design. Is that too cheap? By no means i am an amateur since i have experience shooting. I mean I will definitely provide a client with fully edited 1300-1500 pictures using Lightroom 3 (I also just recently bought RPG LR speed keys for effective and efficient post processing.) This is my 6th wedding I am shooting. I use a 5dmkii, 14mm 2.8, 24-70L, 135L, 70-200 f2.8 non IS, two 580exii's on lightstands using 3 cactus v5 wireless transceivers/receivers​. And my assistant shoots with a 60D and an 85mm 1.8. At night, we use the the umbrella and backlightning for artistic shoots. What do you think I should charge?

Who knows. Let's see some samples. Hopefully they are better than your spelling ;)

Gear List

sponsored links
iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 27, 2011 22:20 |  #47
bannedPermanent ban

Numenorean wrote in post #13318267 (external link)
Who knows. Let's see some samples. Hopefully they are better than your spelling ;)

These are uploaded from an iPhone. Don't mind the quality.
http://i.imgur.com/idr​6l.jpg (external link)
http://i.imgur.com/LVa​sb.jpg (external link)
http://i.imgur.com/ZQH​0L.jpg (external link)
http://i.imgur.com/G0i​yI.jpg (external link)
http://i.imgur.com/lCe​rc.jpg (external link)
http://i.imgur.com/rO4​nu.jpg (external link)
http://i.imgur.com/oYQ​c4.jpg (external link)
http://i.imgur.com/21k​ps.jpg (external link)

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 27, 2011 22:23 |  #48

iluxa007 wrote in post #13318075 (external link)
Wow, I feel sorry for you. I think you paid way too much for this photographer. I shoot weddings as well and I'm 21 years old. I will be shooting a wedding this weekend for only $800. Price includes angagement shoot also with an engagement design. Is that too cheap? By no means i am an amateur since i have experience shooting. I mean I will definitely provide a client with fully edited 1300-1500 pictures using Lightroom 3 (I also just recently bought RPG LR speed keys for effective and efficient post processing.) This is my 6th wedding I am shooting. I use a 5dmkii, 14mm 2.8, 24-70L, 135L, 70-200 f2.8 non IS, two 580exii's on lightstands using 3 cactus v5 wireless transceivers/receivers​. And my assistant shoots with a 60D and an 85mm 1.8. At night, we use the the umbrella and backlightning for artistic shoots. What do you think I should charge?

For your current level of experience $800 is probably just fine. Maybe too much depending on your competency level. Depends on your work, how about a link and a new thread so you can get some responses.
Edit... You posted samples while I was replying. Those look nice. You should still start a new thread.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,643 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 27, 2011 22:28 |  #49

So is your left arm shorter than your right? Too many shots are tilted.

But I digress. Not a bad start. Keep practicing and raise your rates when you get better.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 27, 2011 22:28 |  #50

You're only showing 8 images. Let's see the other 800 you tossed. Because apparently OP expects them all to be epic and you're trying to reinforce the notion.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 27, 2011 22:30 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

zagiace wrote in post #13318386 (external link)
For your current level of experience $800 is probably just fine. Maybe too much depending on your competency level. Depends on your work, how about a link and a new thread so you can get some responses.
Edit... You posted samples while I was replying. Those look nice. You should still start a new thread.

Ok I will, Thanks. I'm new to this forum :P anyway, I still haven't set my price range. That's why I'm asking..

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

jcolman
Goldmember
2,643 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 27, 2011 22:38 |  #52

S.E.V. wrote in post #13317860 (external link)
Maybe I will just write the photographer a simple e-mail letting him know how we feel.

Sevan

Best approach right there. I also think you over paid for this guy but sometimes you roll the dice and take your chances.

I would like to see this guys website or blog to see what kind of shots he supposedly provides his clients but I also understand that it's not cool to post links to others websites, especially for the purpose of bashing someone.

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 27, 2011 22:41 |  #53

jcolman wrote in post #13318466 (external link)
Best approach right there. I also think you over paid for this guy but sometimes you roll the dice and take your chances.

I would like to see this guys website or blog to see what kind of shots he supposedly provides his clients but I also understand that it's not cool to post links to others websites, especially for the purpose of bashing someone.

I hate to judge on whether OP overpaid because we're not seeing everything. OP is obviously going to select images that he believes do well to reinforce his points.

Even if we see a blog, we're going to see the best stuff and OP may be holding the best from his own wedding back whether he realizes it or not. He may be overwhelmed with duds and because of that can't see the gems.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 27, 2011 22:51 |  #54

cdifoto wrote in post #13318485 (external link)
I hate to judge on whether OP overpaid because we're not seeing everything. OP is obviously going to select images that he believes do well to reinforce his points.

Even if we see a blog, we're going to see the best stuff and OP may be holding the best from his own wedding back whether he realizes it or not. He may be overwhelmed with duds and because of that can't see the gems.

+1 I can't see judging the competence of the photographer from just these shots. Just as I tell my clients, you really need to see a number of whole weddings.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,643 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 27, 2011 22:52 |  #55

cdifoto wrote in post #13318485 (external link)

You are right that we are not seeing everything but the OP posted up a few shots that were "ok". We may not be seeing the best from the day but the shots that I did see told me that the photographer did not do anything special with lighting or composition. In fact, I was not impressed at all. His lack of lighting on the reception shot that was posted pretty much tells the story of his skill set.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 27, 2011 22:57 |  #56

You're charging about right based on that. Increase your prices when you get better.

Gear List

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 27, 2011 22:59 |  #57

Numenorean wrote in post #13318556 (external link)
You're charging about right based on that. Increase your prices when you get better.

The shots are okay, but stop tilting the camera...

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 27, 2011 23:10 |  #58

jcolman wrote in post #13318531 (external link)
You are right that we are not seeing everything but the OP posted up a few shots that were "ok". We may not be seeing the best from the day but the shots that I did see told me that the photographer did not do anything special with lighting or composition. In fact, I was not impressed at all. His lack of lighting on the reception shot that was posted pretty much tells the story of his skill set.

I think the only story told so far by the images posted is the photographer culls lightly at best.

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 28, 2011 00:22 |  #59

As competitive as wedding photography is in So Cal. I'm sure you could have done better for what you had in your budget, but that being said, I've seen people pay a lot more for really, really crappy photography. And, yeah, some of those like the shoes shot, etc. could be been culled out, but maybe the photographer thought it represented something important enough to leave in. I would hope that they key images of the ceremony, and of you and your new wife, are solid. I can forgive throw-away shots that stay in, but I can't forgive messing up the key shots.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 28, 2011 01:59 |  #60

Philco wrote in post #13318874 (external link)
I can forgive throw-away shots that stay in, but I can't forgive messing up the key shots.

And who made you the god of all things wedding photographic? :rolleyes:

sponsored links

47,534 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need some advice on what to do about my wedding photographs.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.