Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 27 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 21:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gettign a 60D or 7D

sk8er5751
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2011 21:31 |  #1

Ok heres my thing. I own a canon 60D with 70-200 L 2.8 and 580ex II . Im 18 and have been doing photo for a while and although im not professional I will do jobs here and there. I was looking to get a new body as a back up or maybe my main body. I was looking at the 7D which is like 1800 for body at bestbuy i have to get it there cuz thats where i have credit. Or another 60D which is 900 for body. Id rather get the 60d and get a new L glass but is it really worth to pay double for 7D. I would love 5d Mark II but its just too much right now and cant justify the price. what are your oppinions thanks.

I only do photo too no video really but i like my 60D

sponsored links
guitarfish
354 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 27, 2011 21:46 |  #2

It doesn't sound like you're in need of anything on the 7D that you don't already have. If you don't have the money (you mentioned credit), just get what you need. That's my $0.02.

DuBarry
321 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 27, 2011 21:49 |  #3

Because you mention Best Buy and $1800 for the 7D body I suspect you are in Canada, just for your info Vistek has the 5D mkii for $1999

I realize you have credit at BB but thought I would let you know if you did'nt already

sk8er5751
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2011 22:10 |  #4

DuBarry wrote in post #13318215 (external link)
Because you mention Best Buy and $1800 for the 7D body I suspect you are in Canada, just for your info Vistek has the 5D mkii for $1999

I realize you have credit at BB but thought I would let you know if you did'nt already

I'm actually in California that's just the price after crazy CA tax

sk8er5751
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2011 22:12 |  #5

guitarfish wrote in post #13318193 (external link)
It doesn't sound like you're in need of anything on the 7D that you don't already have. If you don't have the money (you mentioned credit), just get what you need. That's my $0.02.

I shoot sports occasionally and I would like the 8fps but I don't know what I'm missing since I haven't used it but my 60d seems fine but the 8fps sounds so tempting! !!

guitarfish
354 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Oct 27, 2011 22:17 |  #6

sk8er5751 wrote in post #13318319 (external link)
I shoot sports occasionally and I would like the 8fps but I don't know what I'm missing since I haven't used it but my 60d seems fine but the 8fps sounds so tempting! !!

Well, yes, in that case it's tempting. I just moved up to the 60D from the T1i, and the faster speed has been great.

jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop
7,230 posts
Gallery: 167 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 27, 2011 22:23 as a reply to  @ guitarfish's post |  #7

almost everyone I have spoken to says that timing is MUCH more important than high frame rate.
most sports things (with a ball) happen so fast that even shooting something 1/8 of a second apart you'll miss the shot most of the time.

I use a T1i and would LOVE a 60d or 7d. Im hoping this January I can pick one or the other up.

My Flickr (external link)

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Oct 27, 2011 22:43 |  #8

Sounds like some gear lust for the 7d going on :)

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

sk8er5751
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2011 22:51 |  #9

BrickR wrote in post #13318492 (external link)
Sounds like some gear lust for the 7d going on :)

I know :) i really would like one it just seems juicier too :p But am i gaining anything when it comes to photo?

DuBarry
321 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 27, 2011 23:24 |  #10

sk8er5751 wrote in post #13318310 (external link)
I'm actually in California that's just the price after crazy CA tax

WHOA! I feel for ya.

Picture quality should be the same but honestly in addition to the killer AF there is someting also to be said for the high FPS depending on what kind of shooter you are.

frankk
825 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 27, 2011 23:35 as a reply to  @ DuBarry's post |  #11

7D is the way to go if you can afford it. AF and FPS are ideal for sports. I know you have credit at BB but, why not buy a lightly used one here for 30% less?

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 28, 2011 00:42 |  #12

Is the 70-200 lens the only one you have? I would want a lens that covered the range from wide to "medium telephoto".

Then, does your 60D meet your needs? Yes, the 7D is better for some things -- super AF that can come in handy with sports and wildlife and such, but with the 60D do you feel like you "fail"? If not get another 60D and invest in lenses. If so, well, it is up to you as to whether 2x the money for a 7D is worth it!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kcbrown
Cream of the Crop
5,384 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 28, 2011 02:03 |  #13

You can get a 7D for $1100 from Canon's loyalty program. That price doesn't include sales tax but it's far better priced than the one at "Best" Buy.

The real question is whether or not you truly need a second body at all. I would hesitate to use credit to purchase a second body unless it was strictly required (i.e., a necessary business expense). If the 60D does everything you need it to and you just need a camera to use in case your 60D dies, then you should get something relatively cheap like a 40D (about $400 from the buy and sell forum here on POTN).

"There are some things that money can't buy, but they aren't Ls and aren't worth having" -- Shooter-boy
Canon: 2 x 7D, Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 OS, 55-250 IS, Sigma 8-16, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4, other assorted primes, and a 430EX.
Nikon: D750, D600, 24-85 VR, 50 f/1.8G, 85 f/1.8G, Tamron 24-70 VC, Tamron 70-300 VC.

west1835
53 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 28, 2011 02:53 |  #14

7D has more AF points and fps which are good for a particular strengths in thing such as sports and wildlife shooting, and is more expensive than 60d. I would keep the 60d and invest on the lenses.

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,254 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 28, 2011 10:39 |  #15

If you are "doing jobs", I assume you are getting paid. If that's the case, you really should have a second body so that you never leave a customer in the lurch if your camera breaks.

However, it you only have the one lens, you are also hurtin' there. It's kinda hard to justify two cameras with only one lens between them.

So I'd definitely suggest getting the lowest cost camera possible - a second 60D would probably be the best compromise - and putting some money into lenses... a wide or moderate zoom at least.

Can't even start to suggest lenses, and really can't say what camera might be best, because you didn't indicate at all what you shoot. IQ of 60D and 7D are identical for all practical purposes, though.

You mention "credit at Best Buy", but what does that mean. You have a store credit from returning something? Or you have a Best Buy credit card? Two very different sets of circumstances.

If you are buying on credit, you might be better not getting a camera at all and saving up for a lens instead... Just stop taking any kind of critical paying jobs, if doing so, because you are in no way ready for that. Or rent/borrow backup gear to be sure you are covered at any job.

Not being limited to purchasing at Best Buy might open up some other possible sources that can save you a lot, too... Canon often has refurb cameras and lenses in their online store. B&H and Adorama often beat Best Buy's prices by a considerable margin. I've had good luck with Beach Camera, and used gear from KEH, too. Some of these stores are even offering free shipping. And buying out of state you won't be charged Calif. sales tax, which ranges up and over 10% some places. Of course when making out-of-state purchases and not being charged sales tax you are supposed to report your purchase when you file your income taxes, and submit the appropriate sales tax to the state at that time. I'm certain everyone in Calif. does that... After all we know California needs the money so desperately... what with 50 year old public employee retirees taking home retirement checks of $8000- $10,000 a month (gross), full health care benefits for life and more... an estimated $9 billion a year (net) in state-covered costs related to having a 2.7 million undocumented foreign persons living throughout the state... on average an additional $90,000 per year per prisoner spent on 670 death row inmates (in a state that's actually performed 13 executions since 1978) and under current proposed changes to the Capitol Case system would add another $100 million per year... and all the other good uses California make of our hard-earned tax dollars.

But I digress...

60D has essentially the same AF system/AF performance as 50D and 40D. Used right, any of these are quite capable of shooting fast moving subjects, sports and other action. 7D would only potentially give a few percentage points more in-focus shots. I went from 50D to 7D and have now been using the latter for a couple years. Setting aside things like composition, catching subjects at just the right moment, etc. - my "keeper rate" from a purely technical standpoint probably went from 94-95% to around 96-97% (my actual keeper rate is quite a bit lower after I edit for other, non-camera-related factors). That's what spending twice the money and taking the time to learn to use the new camera quite well can do for you.

In other words, a change of camera is not going to change your photography very dramatically overnight...

Lenses that compliment and expand upon what you already have will actually open up far more new possibilities.

I have no idea your level of experience. You mention being 18 and having done photography "for a while"... That might mean anything from a few months to a number of years. I can tell you from 30+ years behind a camera that the learning never stops and that the biggest improvements possible are nearly always with the user, not the gear. Among the gear, your lens kit make the biggest difference.... the camera is just a light capturing box behind the lens, and is actually mostly about conveniences and reliability.... Used right, a simple inexpensive camera can potentially "get the shot" nearly as well as the top-of-the-line model. On the other hand, if one only has 70-200mm lens to work with, it's sort of impossible to get the angles and perspectives of a wide lens, or the heavily blurred background of a large aperture prime, or reach out and fill the frame with a really small subject, etc.

In general I would first recommend working on your lens kit, get a second camera if you need it but don't get carried away (60D is quite capable), and try not to end up in debt over your purchases unless you can point to solid earnings your gear is producing that will pay off the debt completely in a short period of time.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

sponsored links

2,887 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gettign a 60D or 7D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.