Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Oct 2011 (Friday) 09:43
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "New or Refurbished"
Refurbished
74.6%
New
25.4%

67 voters, 67 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buy refurb'd or new?

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 28, 2011 09:43 |  #1

SO, I am buying a 24-70 that I know, I am wondering if I should save a few hundred by buying refurb'd, what would you do and if you buy new why would you not buy refurb'd?

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

sponsored links
Mr. ­ Blue
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 28, 2011 09:46 |  #2

If you are buying through Amazon, the no-tax discount you'll receive will bring the new relatively close to a refurb from Canon Direct.

Gear
flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)
TheWitnessStudios.com (external link)

Hard ­ Drive ­ Disk
THREAD ­ STARTER
485 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Oct 28, 2011 10:00 |  #3

Mr. Blue wrote in post #13320158 (external link)
If you are buying through Amazon, the no-tax discount you'll receive will bring the new relatively close to a refurb from Canon Direct.

So if I bought it from amazon new (1399) it would be equivalent to Canon Direct (1119+tax)?

Gear List
I Love ThinkTank
Is It Normal for Me to Have 7 Camera Bags?

douflag
424 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 28, 2011 10:03 |  #4

Hard Drive Disk wrote in post #13320202 (external link)
So if I bought it from amazon new (1399) it would be equivalent to Canon Direct (1119+tax)?

Depends on your state tax in the USA. You can price it before you buy. I don't think you can purchase from Canon USA direct from any other place in the world. For me, tax is 6.25%, so $1189+shipping. Good thing about buying new is you get that box and 1 year warranty for another $200+. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you.

FS: Nothing for now.

Mr. ­ Blue
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 28, 2011 10:07 |  #5

Depending on where you live and shipping rates, it should come very close. In my case, I get $3.99 one-day shipping or free two-day shipping via Amazon (Prime member). With the Texas sales tax and shipping rate applied to my refurb order from Canon Direct, it came very close to being the same as buying new from Amazon. Therefore, I bought from Amazon and got it the next day. :)

Add them both to your cart, calculate shipping and sales tax, and compare for yourself. See what the difference comes out to.

Gear

JonK
Goldmember
2,161 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Oct 28, 2011 10:13 |  #6

To be honest I haven't found it entirely worth it to buy refurb. Sure you get 100% back if you sell, since you sell for slightly less than new prices, but the comfort of a new product is nice to me.

7NE | 7D | 5DII | 16-35/2.8L II | 24/1.4L II | TS-E 24/3.5L II | 50/1.4 | 85/1.2L II | 100/2.8L IS | 70-200/2.8L IS II | 400/5.6L | PIXMA Pro 9500 Mark II
check my blog:
www.jonkensy.com (external link)

west1835
53 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 28, 2011 10:13 |  #7

douflag wrote in post #13320218 (external link)
I don't think you can purchase from Canon USA direct from any other place in the world

If they don't sell directly, how can I purchase the refurb'd lens from canon?

Mr. ­ Blue
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 28, 2011 10:15 |  #8

west1835 wrote in post #13320260 (external link)

Canon Direct is the name of the store.

You can buy them here: http://shop.usa.canon.​com …gory_10051_1005​1_-1_22751 (external link)

Gear

CanonCleGuy
680 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 28, 2011 10:19 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I don't think you can purchase from Canon USA direct from any other place in the world

5D Mark 3 | 7D + BG-E7 | 60D (Wife)
70-200 II L | 50 L | 100mm L | 17-40 L | 24-105 L | 2X III | 28-135 (Wife) Wishlist: BG-E11 + 24-70 L, 24-70 II L , 1DX :shock:
600 EX-RT | 430 EX II | Manfrotto tripod + head | Lowepro

douflag
424 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 28, 2011 10:21 |  #10

I said any other place in the world (e.g. Canada, UK, China, India). You can only purchase from the Canon refurb site if you live in the US.

douflag
424 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 28, 2011 10:24 |  #11

JonK wrote in post #13320258 (external link)
To be honest I haven't found it entirely worth it to buy refurb. Sure you get 100% back if you sell, since you sell for slightly less than new prices, but the comfort of a new product is nice to me.

Most of the time, that is true. I am however waiting for the 24mm 1.4 II to come back in stock and the 15-20% off coupon to get it.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
56,266 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 28, 2011 10:28 |  #12

I've had issues in the past with referb equipment and looking into it a bit more I have concluded that, for me at least, it's not worth the risk. There are multiple sources for referb equipment. Many are just pulled from the line and tested for quality reasons or overstock returns and more or less brand new. Others are customer returns, store samples, lenses that had failed final inspection and such. Those are fixed up and then sold as referbs. Those may be just fine or they could still have the issues that originally took them out of the new stream. I would rather pay for a new lens, get the full warranty, and start knowing that my equipment was brand new but thats just me.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
10,254 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 28, 2011 14:38 |  #13

Canon's refurbs have a 60 or 90 day warranty I believe... which is usually plenty, since if there are problems they usually show up right away.

Canon Direct isn't the only place to buy refurbs. Watch Adorama and B&H, too. They often have refurbs. Adorama usually offers a full year's warranty on them, too.... And because they are pretty good at rating the gear condition, maybe even conservative about it, it's little different from buying new, except for some savings.

A lot of the time, refurbs are just demo units that were shown briefly at trade shows. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of stuff show up at Canon Direct, a few days after PhotoPlus in NYC ends on Saturday.

Alan Myers (external link) "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7DII(x2), 7D(x2) & other cameras. 10-22mm, Tokina 12-24/4, 20/2.8, TS 24/3.5L, 24-70/2.8L, 28/1.8, 28-135 IS (x2), TS 45/2.8, 50/1.4, Tamron 60/2.0, 70-200/4L IS, 70-200/2.8 IS, 85/1.8, Tamron 90/2.5 Macro, 100/2.8 USM, 100-400L II, 135/2L, 180/3.5L, 300/4L IS (x2), 300/2.8L IS, 500/4L IS, EF 1.4X II, EF 2X II. Flashes, studio strobes & various access. - FLICKR (external link) - ZENFOLIO (external link)

dadgummit
977 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Oct 28, 2011 14:54 |  #14

amfoto1 wrote in post #13321415 (external link)
Canon's refurbs have a 60 or 90 day warranty I believe... which is usually plenty, since if there are problems they usually show up right away.

Canon Direct isn't the only place to buy refurbs. Watch Adorama and B&H, too. They often have refurbs. Adorama usually offers a full year's warranty on them, too.... And because they are pretty good at rating the gear condition, maybe even conservative about it, it's little different from buying new, except for some savings.

A lot of the time, refurbs are just demo units that were shown briefly at trade shows. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of stuff show up at Canon Direct, a few days after PhotoPlus in NYC ends on Saturday.

It is a 90 day warranty from Canon Direct including cameras purchased with the canon loyalty program. If anything happens in the first week or 2 they will just ship you a new one before you even return the defect (amazon style).

My Humble Gear List
I shutter to think how many people are underexposed and lacking depth in this field.Rick Steves

Cubdriver
Goldmember
1,801 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 28, 2011 19:13 |  #15

You need a third option - it depends. Because it does. I make the same judgements whether buying new, used or refurbed. Compare the total costs (shipping, taxes, whatever) for the options, then decide. If new winds up being 10% or less more than used or refurbed, then I'm inclined to go new. If the difference is greater, then I lean more towards used or refurbed, depending on the condition, reputation of the seller, etc. There's no hard-and-fast answer.

-Pat

Smugmug site: http://pmanning.smugmu​g.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,990 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buy refurb'd or new?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.