Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 27 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 00:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I need some advice on what to do about my wedding photographs.

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 28, 2011 02:19 |  #61

cdifoto wrote in post #13319060 (external link)
And who made you the god of all things wedding photographic? :rolleyes:

My guess was it is his personal opinion, but I seem to agree with him. Its MUCH easier to go through your wedding photos and delete the ones you dont like, rather create images that arent there.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links
Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Oct 28, 2011 12:43 |  #62

cdifoto wrote in post #13319060 (external link)
And who made you the god of all things wedding photographic? :rolleyes:

Some watery tart handed me a sword, and then a camera.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Oct 28, 2011 13:06 |  #63

Philco wrote in post #13320902 (external link)

That just makes you king of the Britons, plus official Briton photographer.

Gear List

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Oct 28, 2011 13:07 |  #64

Philco wrote in post #13320902 (external link)

That makes sense. ;)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 28, 2011 13:13 as a reply to  @ post 13314905 |  #65

The biggest surprise for me is that your photographer actually gave you the RAW images. I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the first time I have ever heard of a photographer giving the client the RAW images. I'd consider that very valuable in terms of compensation for you. Other than the online gallery, I haven't seen any compelling evidence that the photographer should refund a portion of your money. Good luck, and I hope that you find some images that you are satisfied with. It sounds like you had more than just the hired photographer working for you...

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 28, 2011 18:50 |  #66

For the price, I think your photographer did a fine job. I have no clue why they gave you the missed focus ring shot. Just my opinion though:)

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

S.E.V.
THREAD ­ STARTER
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 28, 2011 19:09 |  #67

jcolman wrote in post #13318466 (external link)
Best approach right there. I also think you over paid for this guy but sometimes you roll the dice and take your chances.

I would like to see this guys website or blog to see what kind of shots he supposedly provides his clients but I also understand that it's not cool to post links to others websites, especially for the purpose of bashing someone.

www.chrisdiset.com (external link)

I'm not bashing him, just a bit frustrated and looking for advice.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 28, 2011 19:17 |  #68

S.E.V. wrote in post #13322418 (external link)
I'm not bashing him, just a bit frustrated and looking for advice.

I wouldn't post that URL if I were you.

Based on the portfolio, I agree. It looks like you didn't quite get what you expected. Not that it's an incredibly stellar portfolio, though (and both the tilts and mis-focused shots are in there).

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 28, 2011 19:44 |  #69

TheBurningCrown wrote in post #13322442 (external link)
I wouldn't post that URL if I were you.

Based on the portfolio, I agree.

I disagree. The work in his porfolio looks very nice, but those are unquestionably the best of his best. The OP shows us three of the nearly 1,000 images he received, we can assume the three with which he is most unhappy.

The reality is, we haven't seen enough to know. OP, show us some of the best shots he gave you so we can fairly consider whether or not he presented you with work that is consistent with the expectations he sets.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

bnlearle
Goldmember
1,901 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 28, 2011 20:32 |  #70

Peacefield wrote in post #13322524 (external link)
I disagree. The work in his porfolio looks very nice, but those are unquestionably the best of his best. The OP shows us three of the nearly 1,000 images he received, we can assume the three with which he is most unhappy.

The reality is, we haven't seen enough to know. OP, show us some of the best shots he gave you so we can fairly consider whether or not he presented you with work that is consistent with the expectations he sets.

I agree here accept I'd go one step further. The OP criticized an image that I would be more than happy giving one of my couples -- and my couples regularly pay me 5+ times what the OP paid his photographer. So I'm honestly questioning the OP's judgment here. I would have to see the photographer's final output -- say, in a blog post. The photographer seems to blog a lot -- so I'm sure he'll get to it. The image the OP critiqued above looked great -- and he preferred a couple images that I definitely wouldn't have preferred over the critiqued image...

Again, I think that we probably have two problems here. The first being that the photographer might have given too many images and not culled enough (really, not something to complain too much about if you're a photographer -- as you should be able to eat the fish and spit out the bones with no problem). The second being the OP possibly wanting a higher end (more expensive/experienced) photographer without paying higher end prices. I'm not saying either of these are DEFINITELY the case. Just my hunch right now..

To the OP, I really hope it doesn't sound like I'm attacking you here. I'm just trying to be open and honest. I'm sure you and the photographer are both great people ;)

twitter (external link) // facebook (external link)
Website (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photographer blog (external link)

jamiewexler
Goldmember
2,012 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Oct 28, 2011 21:12 |  #71

I have nothing to add to this conversation except to add that even cheap wedding photographers complain about cheap wedding photographers :).

http://blog.chrisdiset​.com …heap-wedding-photography/ (external link)

Massachusetts Wedding Photographer (external link)
My blog (external link)
my facebook (external link)
my gear

S.E.V.
THREAD ­ STARTER
/Include subdirectories, empty directories, and verify.
3,866 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Oct 28, 2011 22:51 |  #72

bnlearle wrote in post #13322727 (external link)
I agree here accept I'd go one step further. The OP criticized an image that I would be more than happy giving one of my couples -- and my couples regularly pay me 5+ times what the OP paid his photographer. So I'm honestly questioning the OP's judgment here. I would have to see the photographer's final output -- say, in a blog post. The photographer seems to blog a lot -- so I'm sure he'll get to it. The image the OP critiqued above looked great -- and he preferred a couple images that I definitely wouldn't have preferred over the critiqued image...

Again, I think that we probably have two problems here. The first being that the photographer might have given too many images and not culled enough (really, not something to complain too much about if you're a photographer -- as you should be able to eat the fish and spit out the bones with no problem). The second being the OP possibly wanting a higher end (more expensive/experienced) photographer without paying higher end prices. I'm not saying either of these are DEFINITELY the case. Just my hunch right now..

To the OP, I really hope it doesn't sound like I'm attacking you here. I'm just trying to be open and honest. I'm sure you and the photographer are both great people ;)

No Worries, Not wanting a higher end work for the lower end price, maybe thought I would be getting some better stuff from the guy that's all. Maybe it is my judgement. I will post some more shots off the original dvd I got.

ShotsInTime (external link) / Gear List /Flickr (external link) / Canon Family Portrait (external link)
- Don't Argue With A Stupid Person, They Will Bring You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Drozz119
Goldmember
1,340 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Oct 28, 2011 23:36 as a reply to  @ S.E.V.'s post |  #73

I agree with Bobby and Robert. I think we're not seeing the best shots. From looking at his blog, he posted a couple shots from your wedding(flower girls) and I thought they look pretty good!

Here's the one you posted and said it was one of the better shots

http://farm7.static.fl​ickr.com …87755222_e454ef​034f_o.jpg (external link)

And 3 from his blog that I thought were better than the one you posted..

http://blog.chrisdiset​.com …Girl-Sept-10-2011-002.jpg (external link)
http://blog.chrisdiset​.com …Girl-Sept-10-2011-003.jpg (external link)
http://blog.chrisdiset​.com …Girl-Sept-10-2011-004.jpg (external link)

ShoFilms (external link)
gear

TheBurningCrown
Goldmember
4,882 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 29, 2011 02:39 as a reply to  @ Drozz119's post |  #74

Peacefield wrote in post #13322524 (external link)

I may be wrong here, but didn't the OP show some of the "best of the best" work in another post?

Regardless of which images are the "best," is there really an excuse for images that have poor white balance, are misfocused, underexposed, etc.? Persistently being asked to deliver the best of the best is one thing, rookie mistakes that should have been weeded out or re-shot are another.

-Dave
Gear List & Feedback
flickr (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Oct 29, 2011 09:55 |  #75

SEV, generally I only deliver 400-700 shots. Usually I'll take anywhere between 1000-2000 at a wedding but as I have no idea on the weather, the people, numbers thereof and things going on then I might not even fill a card and deliver 400.

The more images a couple get, the weaker the overall album is and there is an absolute limit to how many a couple can look at before getting fed up. Even of their own wedding.

You guys in the US pay sooo much for wedding photography. We watch 'Four Weddings USA' and regularly squeal at the 60K budgets.

You've been given a gift by your tog...the Raws. I don't think there is any lattitude to sue as if it's anything like here in the UK you'll only get a percentage back.

BTW, all the EXIF data is still in the images you've posted, the camera tpye, metering, shutter settings and oh, the copyright detailing who took them. Which makes me also wonder, are these exported from the RAWs by yourself or are they the finished product supplied by the tog (who would usually take them out).

Saying that, I don't but I shoot manual and have no auto settings to hide :D

Chris Giles Photography

sponsored links

47,414 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need some advice on what to do about my wedding photographs.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.