Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 27 Oct 2011 (Thursday) 09:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The tractor

EricNY
130 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 27, 2011 09:58 |  #1

An old tractor close by...Trying for something frame worthy

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6104/6285827419_e6cccf6a45.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …wnphotography/6​285827419/  (external link)
IMG_0107 copy (external link) by ericNY2011 (external link), on Flickr

Gear-Canon 60D, Canon rebelXSi, Speedlite 430EX II,Gary Fong lightspehere, 28-135 IS, 55-250 IS, 18-55 kit, 50mm, Manfrotto 391rc2, Studio lighting.

sponsored links
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Oct 27, 2011 09:59 |  #2

Not sure about "frame worthy" but the framing is a bit wonky.

Why so much dead space behind the tractor?

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

EricNY
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 27, 2011 10:02 |  #3

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13314763 (external link)
Not sure about "frame worthy" but the framing is a bit wonky.

Why so much dead space behind the tractor?

Sorry what do you mean "wonky"? lol...great word, but not sure what you mean...thanks:)

Gear-Canon 60D, Canon rebelXSi, Speedlite 430EX II,Gary Fong lightspehere, 28-135 IS, 55-250 IS, 18-55 kit, 50mm, Manfrotto 391rc2, Studio lighting.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 27, 2011 10:51 as a reply to  @ EricNY's post |  #4

To little room on the image left and to much on image right.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

EricNY
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 27, 2011 11:02 |  #5

chauncey wrote in post #13315041 (external link)
To little room on the image left and to much on image right.

I can't add more, because that is where I took the picture. It is uncropped. Would it look better if I removed some on the right?

What about the processing? I was trying foran "old image" feel

whoty
Goldmember
2,073 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2010

Oct 27, 2011 13:02 |  #6

I like the processing. But,don't like the framing. Crop off some to the right.

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

ccc_javier
Goldmember
1,378 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 27, 2011 13:07 |  #7

try sephia on this one

http://somephotosmiami​.com (external link)
NSFW

ImageMogul
596 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Oct 27, 2011 14:07 |  #8

EricNY wrote in post #13315109 (external link)
I can't add more, because that is where I took the picture. It is uncropped. Would it look better if I removed some on the right?

Eric, I think that a reshoot with different framing is being encouraged since the tractor is "close by". The front of the tractor is so close to the left of the frame as to be a bit uncomfortable. You can crop off a similar amount on the right to restore some symmetry, but if you do that it will make the image feel very claustraphobic.

The old tractor is a fantastic subject not only worthy of shooting as a whole, but also one that could offer many close-up detail shot opportunities. If you have a tripod, try shooting it on an overcast day or early morning/late evening (to get away from harsh sun and deep shadow). I think you'll be pleased with the result.

Regards,
Mark

Composition can’t be reduced to a set of rules ... Dissonance has its place in photography as well as music. If we confined ourselves to major and minor scales, the blues wouldn’t exist. Rules are tools, not laws.” ~ James Martin
http://www.imagemogul.​smugmug.com/ (external link)

EricNY
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 27, 2011 18:39 |  #9

ImageMogul wrote in post #13316034 (external link)
Eric, I think that a reshoot with different framing is being encouraged since the tractor is "close by". The front of the tractor is so close to the left of the frame as to be a bit uncomfortable. You can crop off a similar amount on the right to restore some symmetry, but if you do that it will make the image feel very claustraphobic.

The old tractor is a fantastic subject not only worthy of shooting as a whole, but also one that could offer many close-up detail shot opportunities. If you have a tripod, try shooting it on an overcast day or early morning/late evening (to get away from harsh sun and deep shadow). I think you'll be pleased with the result.

Regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark...Great advice, I will try that. I have some more that I havent posted here. I think it might be interesting with a dusting of snow around too!

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,342 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 27, 2011 20:25 |  #10

I think what they are getting at with the cropping is that (at least this is what I was taught) if something is facing towards the left side of the frame (as this is) then leave room on the left side for it to move into. Obviously it's not moving but you want to give the appearance that if it could move it could stay within the frame for a little longer if it was moving. I hope that makes sense.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

Baseball ­ Nut
247 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Oct 28, 2011 16:54 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #11

For me, I agree with a few of the replies already:

1) put the open space at the front of the tractor
2) early morning or early evening for better lighting
3) this tractor and the setting just screams for some close up shots
4) I think a sepia tone would be perfect for this shot and really give it the "antique" feel.
5) I'm not crazy about the b&w conversion on this one or the exposure. It all just looks really blown out.

Otherwise, you found a great subject and should be able to get some really nice shots. Post them if you get some more please.

Larry
Psa 118:24
Phil 4:13
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/baseball_nut/ (external link)

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,342 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 28, 2011 18:02 |  #12

Maybe sepia with some slight vignetting.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

EricNY
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2011 18:12 as a reply to  @ CameraMan's post |  #13

OK...Another veiw and second attempt

IMAGE: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6237/6286419371_03fbebc07c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …wnphotography/6​286419371/  (external link)
IMG_0112 copy (external link) by ericNY2011 (external link), on Flickr

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,342 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 28, 2011 18:17 |  #14

That's more yellow than sepia and the vignetting needs to be brought back a bit.

EricNY
THREAD ­ STARTER
130 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2011 18:58 |  #15

CameraMan wrote in post #13322250 (external link)
That's more yellow than sepia and the vignetting needs to be brought back a bit.

Damn! :D OK Thanks....How about the detail and framing?

sponsored links

3,735 views & 0 likes for this thread
The tractor
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.