Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 25 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 15:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

100-400, 7D and bean bag in East Africa

stillwatergal
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 27, 2011 17:21 |  #16

wombatHorror wrote in post #13312332 (external link)
the 100-400 is light enough that i'm not sure you need a beanbag, the vehicles rock a little anytime somehow takes a step so they aren't really much of a stabilizing factor

I have a truly lousy neck and shoulder area from a couple of nasty auto accidents coupled with underlying spine issues. Can't carry much weight at all. Debated long and hard about buying the 7D--it's heavy for me with no lens at all. Useless, but heavy ;). The added weight of the lens truly is an issue for me. I've checked and we are being told to bring the bags and since I think I'll use them (even if others wouldn't) I'll comply. Worse thing that happens is that I put it away till the next trip :)

Stephanie
5D3, 7D, Canon lenses: 24-105mm f4 L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 70-200mm f4 L IS, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 EF-S, Kenko Pro 300 1.4X tc, Cotton Carrier, PS CS6, Lightroom 5.x, Epson Stylus Pro 3800

sponsored links
footman
258 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 27, 2011 17:31 |  #17

stillwatergal wrote in post #13317027 (external link)
Well, I've been told to bring a bean bag and I must say that, though some people do find that this is a light lens, I have both a bad neck and shoulder area and it is noway a light lens for me. I debated long and hard about whether I could carry the 7D -- let alone the 7d and that lens. I use a serious camera harness designed to not put undue pressure on my neck but it's still a heavy combo. Obviously not heavy for many, but heavy for me.

Sorry to hear about your neck and shoulder problems. When you are in the safari vehicle the camera will not be dangling from your neck,it will probably be resting in your lap until you raise it to take a shot.
Of course if you keep it raised for a significant time then there will be some element of strain.

My Flickr (external link)

stillwatergal
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 27, 2011 17:36 |  #18

footman wrote in post #13317087 (external link)
Sorry to hear about your neck and shoulder problems. When you are in the safari vehicle the camera will not be dangling from your neck,it will probably be resting in your lap until you raise it to take a shot.
Of course if you keep it raised for a significant time then there will be some element of strain.

And it's that element of anticipated strain (coupled with the chronic literal pain in that area) and was in the back of my mind when I started this thread. I really work hard at thinking through what I'll run into that will be an issue for me, even though it's no biggie for most folks :D. I'm just used to it, so it's merely not a huge deal anymore....

Stephanie
5D3, 7D, Canon lenses: 24-105mm f4 L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 70-200mm f4 L IS, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 EF-S, Kenko Pro 300 1.4X tc, Cotton Carrier, PS CS6, Lightroom 5.x, Epson Stylus Pro 3800

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 27, 2011 19:51 |  #19

your xsi is a full 12oz lighter,(i think) food for thought
the 1-4 is at 3 lb...so you could look at carrying just over 4 lbs vs 5

nice photos Hollis! Must have been some trip. I got married for the 3rd time when I turned 50. To think I could have had a safari!
as I read the description and the line about communications I though...oh he must be from England.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

stillwatergal
THREAD ­ STARTER
292 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Oct 27, 2011 20:10 |  #20

You-by-Lou wrote in post #13317668 (external link)
your xsi is a full 12oz lighter,(i think) food for thought
the 1-4 is at 3 lb...so you could look at carrying just over 4 lbs vs 5 .

Well, I plan on taking both. I've had a camera go bad on me in the Galapagos and having an extra (then I traveled with 2 XSi's) was a godsend. I'll even have a little point and shoot as extra insurance. Actually, I expect I'll use both, with different lenses attached, depending on the plans for the day. Changing lenses in the dust of the Serengeti seems like it's asking for trouble if it's not necessary. Most folks tell me to bring a sensor cleaner and to presume I'll need to use it. I plan on following that advice :).

Someone wrote a great article on a trip to Africa which basically said: think about the things you need as a photographer. For each item: if it broke and could not be repaired, would it ruin your trip? For him, the answers were pretty consistently "yes" so he had back up plans for everything. I expect I'll try to come fairly close to that standard.

Weight wise it will be a fair amount of stuff to transport between continents. But in Rwanda for a few dollars a day there are porters to carry while we trek to the gorillas and in Tanzania all you really have to do is get your stuff to the jeep each morning. Not fun but doable. After that it should be no worse, and in most ways, an amazing amount better, than a standard day out with a camera and a lens :D. I won't be hiking in Tanzania. Someone else drives. I don't need to be a map reader or even set up a GPS. I just think about the photography and experience what I expect will be amazing! I can't wait!!

Stephanie

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 29, 2011 11:48 as a reply to  @ stillwatergal's post |  #21

sounds so exciting ....here's to a splendid trip

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

simonjs
57 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Oct 29, 2011 12:03 |  #22

I have used a 100-400 on quite a few trips to Africa and it works well with a bean bag

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,871 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Oct 29, 2011 12:06 as a reply to  @ post 13317027 |  #23

Stu at Wild4PhotographicSafar​ies puts bean bags on both doors (there is a shelf on top of each door) on each bench. With only one photographer per bench, you are ready to shoot from either side of the vehicle.

sponsored links

4,518 views & 0 likes for this thread
100-400, 7D and bean bag in East Africa
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.