Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Oct 2011 (Saturday) 11:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D??

Speedawg
61 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 29, 2011 11:16 |  #1

I have a 1000D that I want to have modded for astro-phototgraphy to leave on my telescope in my observatory. I have had my heart set on upgrading to a 7D. But after reading all of the problems with the 7D focus issues I am a bit apprehensive. The 7D seems to be about the only camera Canon produces that people have problems with. Should I be concerned and possibly go with a different camera? I have found over the past 3 years with the 1000D that I really like to shoot action situations and of course my grandson with a few landscape shots here and there. I would like to go full frame maybe but not sure about spending an additional $1000.00. Do those of you with the 7D feel like you made the proper choice?

7D, 1000D, EFS 10-22, EFS 17-55, EFS 60, 70-200 F4L IS, 430EX

sponsored links
sempaidavid
890 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 29, 2011 11:20 |  #2

Speedawg wrote in post #13324807 (external link)
The 7D seems to be about the only camera Canon produces that people have problems with.

Book worthy.

5D mkIII, 1D mkIV, Tokina 16-28 f/2.8, EF 24-70L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II IS, EF 100-400L, EF 85 f/1.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, EF 24-105
http://www.davidcostap​hotography.com (external link)

Sikor7
417 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 29, 2011 11:24 |  #3

What "problems" are you referring to?? I thought it was one of the bodies that DIDN'T have many issues.

40D w grip
28-300 IS L - 24-105 IS [COLOR=red]L - 100-400 IS L
580 EX - 580 EX II - ST-E2
Nice Canon Back-Pack and some other stuff...
"I think I just stimulated the economy!!!"

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,700 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 29, 2011 11:40 |  #4

That body has so many AF options and tricks that the casual users blamed their cameras for why their shots were poorly focused.

I'm surer there are legit issues with certain individual bodies, but the 7D as a whole certainly has no AF issues when used properly

EOS R / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

sth_
811 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 29, 2011 11:44 |  #5

SMP_Homer wrote in post #13324877 (external link)
That body has so many AF options and tricks that the casual users blamed their cameras for why their shots were poorly focused.

I'm surer there are legit issues with certain individual bodies, but the 7D as a whole certainly has no AF issues when used properly

This.

Flickr (external link) :: Gear

jasio
780 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Oct 29, 2011 11:50 |  #6

I have had 7D since 7 months and havenĀ“t had any problems with it.

Steel ­ Panther
25 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 29, 2011 12:03 |  #7

SMP_Homer wrote in post #13324877 (external link)

Yep, I agree. Every "problem" that I have had with mine has been my error, not the 7D's.
Seems fairly durable and consistent, I just stuff it in the tourpack on my bike and ride all over with it. With the help I've gotten from reading this forum and just getting out and taking pics with it, it becomes more user friendly everyday. Now that post processing............​...it sure has a lot of quirk's in it's software...........:lol:
Someday I'll get both of them figured out, then life will be boring again. :)

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,425 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Oct 29, 2011 12:13 |  #8

The 7D seems to be about the only camera Canon produces that people have problems with.

Though there are a few documented cases of problematic 7D's a majority of the problems with the 7D are directly related to the accessory behind the 7D. Every 7D has this accessory, it is the 7D user.

I own a 7D and it is a fantastic camera. Have had it more than a year now. I can tell you that within the first 4 weeks of ownership I was ready to toss it.

Ended up liking it so much, I bought a second one.

Later on I fell victim to that 'full frame' myth and sold one 7D to buy a 5D2.

Now I own both ... but use mainly the 7D.

I have to add that the 7D is the only Canon camera that I actually had to sit down and read the manual for. It's unlike the other Canon cameras, it is complicated.

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Oct 29, 2011 12:13 as a reply to  @ jasio's post |  #9

Preface: I am a 7D fan boy. I love love love love my 7D. the 7D was my FIRST EVER camera. I had NO(none, 0, null set) experience in photography before buying a 7D, and thus am entirely self taught- I read ONE(1) book on photography, but it was old... as in bought at an estate sale old...

I suspect that the 7D has found its way into the hands of a lot of people, both very competent, and not so. The camera is complex. Hell, I only set it to center the day I got it, and only two weeks ago, figured out how to activate point expansion(and I've had it since january of 2010....)

Statistically speaking(thats the m0ar math part of my signature), there is a VERY small occurrence of unit failure, the 7D has been a wildly successful camera. Similar to the iPhone, and just look at all the network problems that ATT had for the first 4(!!!) years.

Do I feel the camera produces on average softer images than say... a 5D2... yup.

Noisy at high ISO? well, thats relative. compared to a 1Ds1, nope, compared to a 1D4(see teamspeed's mini reviews), well for a camera that costs about a THIRD of that, I'm pretty happy!

My father, who is rather tech savvy, but rather camera inept(push the button george), used my camera while I was in the water swimming at my senior(college) meet. he loved it. said and i quote "this thing rips"

There is serious magic to be had from this camera. I have been very vocal AGAINST the 17-55 on the basis that is ONLY fits the EFS mount( see nikon + sony), Then I bought one because I was in a bind, well... its great. The 50L on the camera.... very nice, the 35L.. again.... just wonderful.

You can really accomplish a LOT with the 7D and the sigma 30mm... If only I had started with a sigma 30mm... man I would have saved myself a lot of time and money.

and thats my 4 cents.

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

bionicle
145 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 29, 2011 12:17 as a reply to  @ Steel Panther's post |  #10

I've been using the 7D for the past year without any issues, 99% of the time it's user error mainly because people don't read the manual.

If you do get one read the manual and get to know each of their functions and you'll have a great camera.

5Dii gripped, 7D gripped, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 24-70mm f2.8L, 24-105mm f4L, 17-40mm f4L, 100mm f2.8L Macro, Sigma 35mm f1.4, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Canon Speedlite 580EX MkII x2

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,863 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Oct 29, 2011 12:23 |  #11

I have to agree with the others. The only focus issues with the 7D are that it is more powerful and more flexible than the standard 9 point AF the other Canon cameras have so some people have issues. Once learned the AF is fantastic, very accurate and very fast.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Oct 29, 2011 15:00 |  #12

With things that are mass-manufactured, yes, there will be some defects that get out there and then are returned. That's a fact of "life" in the manufacturing world.

And then, in the early part of its "life", an new product will typically start out with more defects. But the "makers" take those defects seriously, working to identify any "class" problems, defects that are caused by a problem in the actual manufacturing process, as opposed to the incidental defect that has no "root cause" in the mfg process.

The ideal goal, of course, would be to have 0% defects, but that is not a realistically attainable goal. Under 5% is a definite goal.

And, Quality Control as a comprehensive final test will likely only be performed on a few off the assembly line, as opposed to little "mini-tests" that are likely routinely done on each unit in the line.

I don't know Canon's system, but I did work in printer manufacturing for a bunch of years, and so have an idea of what things are likely like with a Canon plant.

So, with the 7D, I'd imagine that in the early days things came up, cameras got returned, they did whatever they could to improve the product and process, and so now, occasionally a camera will get shipped that has a defect and has to be returned, because that's "normal".

It was that way with, gosh, maybe every new release, especially with ones that had significant re-designs. I particularly recally the 5D Classic and the 1DMk3, because I own both of them, and then the 5DM2 had issues early on (and still does have certain things) that needed addressing.

What happens then is that we hear about that occasional defective unit and a little bell rings. Here in POTN, we have, well, a whole bunch of people, of whom I can imagine that thousands are 7D users, although I've never seen any way to determine the actual number. But, if say 10 out of 1000 7D users had some type of issue, we'd hear about it loud and clear, but that would only be 1% which, believe it or not, is within the "tolerance" range for defects, although like I said, I don't know the particulars for Canon manufacturing. Maybe it's 1 of 1000:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Fahad79
207 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Oct 29, 2011 15:07 |  #13

wouldn't a 7d be overkill for astrophotography?

RobiHeat
78 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Oct 29, 2011 16:24 |  #14

bionicle wrote in post #13325020 (external link)
I've been using the 7D for the past year without any issues, 99% of the time it's user error mainly because people don't read the manual.

If you do get one read the manual and get to know each of their functions and you'll have a great camera.

Totally agree with this statement

6D--5D mk III--Sigma 35 1.4--Sigma 85 1.4--Canon 70-200 mk ii--Canon 24 1.4--Alien Bees--Yongnuo flashes for portability--430 ex ii--Lee Foundation and too many filters

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Oct 29, 2011 17:02 |  #15

I have a 1000D that I want to have modded for astro-phototgraphy to leave on my telescope in my observatory. I have had my heart set on upgrading to a 7D. But after reading all of the problems with the 7D focus issues I am a bit apprehensive. The 7D seems to be about the only camera Canon produces that people have problems with. Should I be concerned and possibly go with a different camera? I have found over the past 3 years with the 1000D that I really like to shoot action situations and of course my grandson with a few landscape shots here and there. I would like to go full frame maybe but not sure about spending an additional $1000.00. Do those of you with the 7D feel like you made the proper choice?

I went from the 1000D to the 7D...love it...no problems at all. Love the 7D. Know I said it twice but really it is an awesome camera.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

sponsored links

7,257 views & 0 likes for this thread
7D??
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.